365 GTB or Datsun based 250 GTO? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

365 GTB or Datsun based 250 GTO?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by XR4turbo, Jun 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

What's almost as frighting as this George character's verbal diarrhoea, is his scary steering technique.

2. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #102 tommott77, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    Couple things....

First, and obviously, as somebody that runs an online car show I cannot fathom how you cannot tell the sound difference between a Ferrari V12 and inline Datsun 6? Hard to make out but it sounds to me like a SU carbed Z as opposed to a Weber carbed Z as the famous Weber intake roar is either hard to make out or non-existent,... making not noticing the difference even that much more unfathomable.

Also as somebody that has obviously driven a lot of cars in your time, I do not understand how you cannot tell the difference between 150hp and 300 something hp. Do you ever cover lower HP cars?

Lastly, have you ever driven a older Ferrari before? If so you should have come to the conclusion that this was not a Ferrari drivetrain the second you engaged any gear in that box.

I am not trying to make this a personal attack or anything, but as you state that you are earning income off of these webisodes you are running a business, and as a business owner you owe the consumer some sort of due diligence regarding the product that you supply. Any pleads of ignorance just don't cut it in my book as they could have been easily overcome with just the slightest bit of homework on your part. A couple hours of google and youtube would have armed yourself with the enough information to properly cover this car from the get go.....let alone letting this misinformation fester past the editing stage (which I am sure took a good amount of work on your part) and ultimately getting published. Again, my apologies if this comes across as a personal attack, but being self employed in a highly regulated field has probably made me a bit jaded over the years.

With all that being said, despite being host by a lying prick, Junk Yard Wars is one of the most underrated TV series of all time. JYW I believe was the first reality show targeted to the 'gearhead' segment of the viewing public, and hence was the forebearer to all Monster Garages, OCCs, Overhaulins, ect, ect of the world. BTW I would take JYW any day of the week over all the others that I listed.

3. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    You make a good point, sir, and I have an equally good reason for not doing my homework on this car: I was never supposed to film it in the first place. If you watch this video, I know a whole ****load of inside information about the Ford GT, yet (obviously) know absolutely nothing about the other car. Originally, this episode was only supposed to be about the GT, and this other guy showed up at the last minute. I know lots about the real GTO's, but know nothing of one-off, hand built, supposed ferrari powered replicars. The only vintage Ferrari I've ever driven was a 246 Dino, which wouldn't feel anything like a front-engined car, but I have ridden in Ralph Lauren's GTO. There were 6 of us on the shoot, and none of us doubted there was a V12 under there for a second.

Additionally, I do believe the Datsun engine in this car was modified enough to make about 300 horsepower.

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I wonder why the word "boat" was sensored? ;)

Onno

5. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You would definitely need a turbo for that, which there appears to be no signs of. A built L-series Z motor (with the desirable early heads, 2.8 liter bottom end, aggressive cams, ect) puts you around 175 hp at the wheels, or just over 200 hp at the flywheel.

6. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe it was a "ship" not a "boat"

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    George was on HGTV talking about his house made of candy and his unicorn ranch....

(apologies to Scottrade)

8. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Who cares about the 250DTO.... was the Ford GT the real thing?????

PS. kudos on the apology. Give our collective regards to "TV's George Grey!!!"

9. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

hahahahahahahahaha...

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I watched the whole thing.

HaHa on George.

What a fake.

What a poseur.

What a total lying sack-o-s**t.

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I still need to meet the first car enthusiast who, upon being told about a Ferrari V-12 in a car of 'ubkbown' provenance, wouldn't ask for the bonnet to be opened.

If you subsequently start broadcasting this nonsense, you do your reputation more damage than you'll be able to make up for in the coming 25 years.

12. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    IMMEDIATELY IMMMEDIATELY A Ferrari V12 in any car. Show me. Show me. I have seen dozens of Daytona engines but I still like seeing them. If a new car turns up that I have not seen before. Show me the engine.

13. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    It was literally the first thing I said to the guy. He fiddled with the hood pins for a few minutes before telling me one was jammed. I'm embarassed to say I went for it. To be honest, I was appreciative that this seemingly cool guy was going to hand over the keys to his seemingly cool car, and I wasn't about to drop the inquisition on him. In hindsight, I should have, and saved myself all the trouble.

14. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Perhaps the only way for this matter to be put finally to rest is for the Smoking Tire (or tyre as we would say in the Uk :) ) to do a video piece on a real vintage Ferrari?

15. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    The first person to hand me a set of keys will pull the trigger on that one.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    +1

17. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Well, not exactly "vintage" but (as mentioned in my PM) if you can get to the east coast I am happy to offer up my Dino #10704, 365BB #18265 and TR #65247. Could probably also provide my former (and truly vintage / ex-Livanos) 365gt #13141.

Alex

18. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    @Matt:

First, I dont blame you for taking a guy who is reputedly a gearhead (JYW) at his word. I probably would have done the same, so I cant fault you there at all.

Second, I appreciate the integrity you have shown by coming here to disclose the truth as you found it out. That says a great deal to me about your character - Thank you!

Third, I have not been exposed to The Smoking Tire previously and am glad to have found you guys. I will, no doubt, watch more of your stuff to see what you do.

Finally, if you make it to wherever I am I would be glad to let you do a segment on my not-quite-vintage 308 GTS QV (click the "My Garage" for photos)

PDG

19. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That is quite the offer, and I would love to see it being taken up.

20. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    I need a few weeks to grow a mustache first :)

21. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Alex Well done. Make sure he takes the Dino on a real tight hilly road. Those Dinos are an absolute joy to drive on the tight stuff. They don't have the grunt of a big V12 but they make up for that with agility and balance.
    John

22. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    We will be on the east coast the first week of july for the Bullrun Rally, which starts in NYC on the 9th. We'll check the schedule, but that 365BB and the Dino sound mighty tasty....

Thanks for the kind offers, hopefully, if travel allows, we can take you all up on it.

23. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    #123 db6, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    That wasn't the problem and what caused the trouble. You should have just been honest from the start and told the story as it really happened. It's hard to understand why you didn't, and why you instead chose to lie and put your own credibility on the line. I mean, why not just say from the start that you got no pictures because he claimed the hood pins were jammed?

The embarassment shouldn't be that you fell for a hokey story, or couldn't tell an obvious Datsun chassis replica (ever see a Datsun 240 rear hatch??) or couldn't tell a Datsun engine from a Ferrari V12. That just shows a lack of knowledge. The embarassment was the repeated lying.

24. TheUnlimitedClass

Apr 10, 2006
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    www.UnlimitedClass
    Wrong answer Matt.

Correct answer = Please send copies if your Ferrari Classiche documents to Smoking Tire's legal department for review and possible approval. While YOU may think your Ferrari is a real Ferrari, Smoking Tire legal now says they need proof, and you need to pay dearly for that proof! Pink slips, thumb prints and financial statements are now required too!

Oh, and COMPLETE ENGINE BREAKDOWN !

;)

Its a joke people, settle down before you even start typing.