A Father is Desperate for help... please | FerrariChat

A Father is Desperate for help... please

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by turbos7903, Jun 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    My daughter got her dream job right out of college...thats the good news. The bad news is its in NYC . She received a degree in Fashion Design from the University of Delaware and her Executive management trainee position at Bloomingdales will lead to a great career in that field for her. I am very proud of her but now I have to help her get an apartment in the city. Any and all helpful options would be appreciated. Thanks Jon in Delaware

2. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Send me a PM with details such as timetables, desire to have single occupancy or roomies, and budget. Initial feedback is to get a place not in the same immediate neighborhood as Bloomie's to better capture the city.

3. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Craigslist is usually a good place to start.

4. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    My cousin has a studio apt in Tudor city avail now. $1600 month is pretty good. Tell me if your interested.
    973-978-5279 is my cell. Joseph.

5. G-NYC

G-NYC Rookie

Apr 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    Agree on craigslist... there's a fair amount of junk on there, but once she learns how to filter it a bit and "read" people on the phone when screening new rental apartments- it can be a really efficient way to find apartments. Roommates would help her get most value for her dollar.

Having to find logding after getting a job in NYC is a good problem to have in today's job market- congrats to her. In addition to Craigslist, here's a couple other decent apartment websites (with a focus on no fee rentals because I assume that's where you'd like to go... some have limited supply, but if there is a unit available in her price range, it tends to be a good deal):
    http://www.skymanagement.com/
    http://www.nofeerentals.com/

there's one more, but I'm blanking on it right now... good luck!

6. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Hoboken NJ is a good option also. Hoboken is a 15 minute 'subway' ride (PATH Train) from midtown NY. Rents are more affordable.

Hoboken is a great post college town! A lot of fun! Very safe too....

7. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    Jon,
    Hope you've been well, congrats on your daughter's success, that's great!! It sounds like you already received plenty of resources, but in case by some crazy chance none of them work out, my uncle lives at 36th and 2nd. He knows a ton of people in real estate and I can't make promises, but I'm fairly sure he could help. I'll give him a heads up anyway, so let me know if you would ever need another resource. Hope to see you at Le Bella. Take care.

Mark C.
    [email protected]

8. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Good recommendation- she may want the full NYC experience of actually living in the city, but Hoboken is still close, cheaper, and a great post-college years town with lots of professionals and great activities- eateries/bars/etc. It's also much easier to have a car in Hoboken if that is a concern.

9. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Long Island City is also another option, although it's not as fully built as Hoboken/Jersey City/Edgewater area yet.

10. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Email me. I own buildings in NYC and happen to have two great studios on the Upper East side that just came available. They go fast. If she's interested, you need to move fast, because they will be gone by the weekend.

11. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Do NOT use Craigslist. If Gary cannot help you, I can put you in touch with a very good friend who owns a brokerage for. Shoot me an email / PM and I can help point you and her in the right direction re: safe and appropriate housing. IMO, Manhattan or bust.

On a similar note, Gary, I'm looking for a 1br south of 50, north of 8th, west of 3rd, and east of 6th, for a mid-July move in. Would much rather give you the business than someone else. Any luck?

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I love it! I expect that only someone who knows NYC knows exactly what you are talking about, even though you didn't distinguish between the streets and avenues. It's just assumed based on north, south, east, west.

13. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Fchat rocks! Thanks everyone! You are all invited to my rally. In September. Called the Mason Dixon rally. Check it out in the mid-atlantic thread. Its the fifth year
    Jon

14. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    you beauty

15. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

<3 NYC

16. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    streets run from east to west and avenues run north to south, hope this helps :)

17. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Wow. so specific! I only have apartments available on the upper East at this point. I do have three apartments on 152nd Street. Happens to be a great building and very secure, but If your looking West Village, Chelsea, this is a completely different area. Vacany rate was high this past winter, but most went when the weather changed. Also, students rent this time of year, so apts. go quickly. You should check the NY times. Wish I can help kenny.

18. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

No worries at all Gary - will definitely keep in mind though as I'm often asked about apartment rentals in the city. If you'd like to shoot me the specifics of what you have available, i can pass them on to friends who are currently looking.

All the best-

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I[size=+2]&#9829;[/size]
    NY

20. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Once I get past the challenge of finding safe and appropriate housing for my Daughter in Manhattan or near by I am going to be living large. Both kids out of the house. One living in Manhattan and one living in Denver!! Ski,Hike,Bike in Denver and doing the Urban thing with the daughter in one of the best cities in the world....I might just buy a Motorcoach and spend the rest of my days traveling to race tracks with my track car and Scud in the enclosed trailer and travel from Denver to NYC throughout the year!! Shoot still have to work though. Strike that plan :) Jon in Delaware

21. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hey Jon,

Summer in NYC is not that much fun. In my opinion, Spring and Fall are the best seasons to be in Manhattan. Its hot in the summer to be in an apartment. Thats why we have the Hamptons. Consider renting a place in the Hamptons for the summer if it all works out for your daughter.
    Best regards,
    Gary

22. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That would be the number one absolute best way to make sure that your daughter comes to visit you every weekend between MD and LD!

23. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Hmmmmm...thats an option!! One step at a time. Jon in Delaware

24. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    Jon, off subject, just wanted to see if you got my PM, that's all. I tried to call your cell, but I get a Verizon message every time. Let me know whenver, PM me. Congrats on your successful kids, runs in the family!!

Mark