Blue Angels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Blue Angels

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Crawler, Apr 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blue62

blue62 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Rainyville, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Some day I'll have to rent a boat to go watch on Lake Washington. I've seen the Blue 11 times in my life so far but never on the lake and I'm sure it's a show unlike any other

2. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    We went down on Saturday, unfortunately, they were unable to go because of fog. I wasn't optimistic when I couldn't see the top of the US Bank building. A couple of low passes on full afterburner would have been nice, no such luck. :)

3. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I rented a pontoon boat on Sunday and took 12 of us out on the break-wall for the show.

In-effing-credible, especially the tight turns right overhead with after-burners.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Once I was visiting the air museum at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, Michigan on a Friday which preceded the Blues flying in that weekend's airshow, and I got to the museum just prior to their Friday "practice" airshow. The museum is on a different side of the airport from the airshow show line, so we were often watching them from behind the usual vantage point, and on some passes they flew right over our heads! Different, and thrilling!

Jacob Potts likes this.
  5. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I was there as well and really excited as my wife has never seen a fighter jet much less the Blue Angels. I had the same feeling when I looked at the US Bank building and thought "I can't see the level they were flying at on Thursday". At 4pm I finally gave up all hope. Too bad I couldn't make it back Sunday.

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yup. Seen both teams several times and them together in a show one time (ACY 2006).

Will be seeing the Thunderbirds probably 3 times this summer and a slight chance of seeing the Blues at one show.

7. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm hoping to catch their Fleet Week show in SF sometime. The shots where the vapor cone on the solo pass is touching the water are amazing!

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  9. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  12. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We lived in Gulf Breeze when I was on a Company loyalty test assignment in Pensacola 1986-1990. Saw the Angels all the time. Their show at PNS Beach was the party of the year. Seeing the 130 above reminded me that one of our good friend's father died in crash of the Angels' supply plane I think back in the 1970s. Have to research that.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Three appearances in this part of Georgia in the next two years! An embarrassment of riches...

Jacob Potts likes this.
  14. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    They are out in California right now but I live a few miles west of the base here in Pensacola right on the flight line. I have watched them since I was a kid. Every turn they make to head back for a pass over the runway goes right over my house.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Should be an even better show with their new hot rods.

Jacob Potts and BJK like this.
  16. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Matt. I would often hear them late Sunday evenings when they were returning to base from where ever their weekend show had been. We lived along Santa Rosa sound and they guys would track toward NAS - PNS. The boys were in a hurry to get to their wives, girlfriends or McGuires so we heard afterburners more than once from maybe a couple of thousand feet altitude.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The T-Birds are just as good but lack the Navy's press and ballyhoo. They fly good shows, too.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The F-16C/D was actually a better airshow aircraft than the F/A-18C/D. Not true of the new F/A-18E/F, which is much higher performing.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I saw the navy team in 1949. Flying prop-driven mounts. I remember F8F's and a solo T-6, "Beetlebomb".

Jacob Potts and Texas Forever like this.
  20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    No sound

Jacob Potts likes this.
  21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    In 2009, the Horsemen Flight Team traded in their typical steeds of P-51 Mustangs for the round engines of the F8F Bearcat to honor the U.S. Navy Blue Angels.
    The pilots, Jim Beasley, Ed Shipley and Dan Friedkin met with the last surviving Blue Angel Al Taddeo before they joined up with the current Blue Angel Solos at the NAS Corpus Christi air show.
    It was a historic moment for everyone...then and now.

Butch Voris, the first Blue Angels leader, tells the story of the first flight that the Blue Angels took in the Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat.
    The team encounter a technical malfunction en route to their destination or Norfolk, Virginia and considered ditching their planes in the Chesapeake Bay.
    Recording in Monterey, California in 2004.

Jacob Potts and Matt LaMotte like this.
  22. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I love Mcguire's! I have skylights in my living room and it always makes me smile when I am on the couch and see a flash of blue and gold zip by. I will post some videos when I get a chance. The new Super Hornets are about 25% louder I'm guessing. Some days I think about taking some of the things off my shelves my house shakes so hard when they come by but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Jacob Potts likes this.