Ferrari 512S Accident at Watkins Glen | FerrariChat

Ferrari 512S Accident at Watkins Glen

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Sports Car Digest, Jun 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sports Car Digest

May 1, 2010
    #1 Sports Car Digest, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry to report, but John Giordano's Ferrari 512S was wrecked this past weekend at the Legends of Motorsport vintage race at Watkins Glen.

We don't have any pictures of it post-wreck, although we're trying to locate them. Giordano was not injured, although the 512 endured significant left side damage and a busted canopy.

Several pre-accident pictures of the 512 can be found here:

http://www.sportscardigest.com/legends-of-motorsports-at-watkins-glen-results-and-photos/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    REALLY sorry to hear this...

Heard is was tough weather conditions (cool with drizzle) at the Glen. We were in Savannah for the HSR event (can't be in two places at the same time). Anyway, 110 in the shade. The FCA Annual Event next year is going to be scorching. Remember to bring LOTS of ice, fans and portable A/C units!

CW

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Hope it gets fixed soon and back on the track!

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Glad to hear he's OK!

5. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    +1, and even though it was damaged I still think these things should be out on track. It's what they were built for. Repair and back into the fray!

Onno

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I really disagree fully understanding that other's disagree with me. IMO these cars are much to fragile to be running in anger and the chance of killing yourself way too high.

I understand there's risk in everything you do and it's a personal decision.

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    John's a good driver, but he's usually several seconds off the pace. I don't think he puts it on the line too much. But, accidents do happen. And, if you can't afford to repair them, or write them off, then don't do it. That said, they are certainly historic (perhaps irreplaceable) and shouldn't be destroyed. Nothing to win at these events but a handshake.

CW

8. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jim,
    At what level would you/do you drive these cars? I would assume that one would need some speed to be able to appreciate what the car is. Is 7/10ths too much? Too little?

George

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I agree w/ Jim - we run the Mondial on the street during mid-day light traffic about once a month to move the juices around. Our intent is to put it on the track in touring, not race, situations at 7 to 8/10s.

Respect for the metal is paramount for us, particularly since we are lucky enough to have the vast majority of the original metal left; these old warriors have nothing left to prove. Dad had plenty of fun reverse-locking in the rain at Road America. We will be back on the track at the Ferrari National this year at NJMP.

More importantly, I am glad to hear that John is ok.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #10 Napolis, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Basically like Brian and His Dad. I get up early and set off on back roads which I can get to a few minutes from my shop. I'm a Member of MMC so I can track them when I want to at any speed I want to in very light traffic with other members who give me space. When I run events I enjoy myself but keep in mind that the Targa Florio Roads can get seriously bad very quickly. At Goodwood I enjoy myself but keep in mind that people have died at the FOS and the course is a bit too closely lined with Spectators IMO.

If I hit hard in P 4/5 I have a chance but if I hit hard in 002C I don't. I try to keep that in mind and remember a dent put there by Bruce McLaren is different than one put there by me.

The Drives I remember years later when I close my eyes at night aren't always the fastest ones I done...

(Note Slight Counter Steering) :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Indeed.... :)

K

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Not sure why "post wreck" pics are anything but sensational.

John is fine, it was a single car incident that occurred when John left the road to avoid another competitor that overslowed and he'll fix it. Probably will be back out next in his Comp Daytona. The worst damage was to the LR wheel...

If the guardrails weren't as close, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Will you be at Mid-Ohio or Mont Tremblant? We need to talk.

13. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Agree

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1

This is what classic and historic racing should be about, NOT winning or competitive racing.
    Pete

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

noted!! :)

16. p gio

p gio Karting

Jan 30, 2020
    Laguna Beach, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Giorgio

I wanted to clarify the above post... The truth is #1004 at Legends spun, went backwards, and the tail flipped over the cockpit- while the car was going backwards- smashing the windscreen and denting the roof. The left rear wheel was damaged and had to be replaced. There was NO left side damage to the car. #1004 was repaired and back on the track 6 weeks later at HSMA's Mont Tremblant event.

Bryanp likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Serial number of this car seems to be controversial though :D

p gio likes this.
  18. p gio

p gio Karting

Jan 30, 2020
    Laguna Beach, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Giorgio
    Seriously. ;)

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It uses a replica ID tag not done by the Ferrari factory.
    Photos available.

Marcel Massini

tomgt likes this.