Underwater Ferrari | FerrariChat

Underwater Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bill_OBrien, Dec 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    #1 Bill_OBrien, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
    Bill Noon wrote about an 'underwater Ferrari' in the 'Barn Finds' thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23094&highlight=barnfind

I thought this was an interesting enough story to justify a thread of its own. I have put together Bill's story about the car and some of the replies to questions about the scenario:

2. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    #2 Bill_OBrien, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
    Story Continued:

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Anyone know What model of Ferrari is it?

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    ...applies to inland as well as offshore waters.

Salvage law is among the oldest because the vessels and their contents were of such great value. Everyone wanted to preserve the value. It was created back when everything valuable was moved by ship. It is the "ship" in today's "shipping".

I would use the treasure hunters. They will carry the burden.

It may be a straight percentage deal.

It will be done legally.

I like to pick up trash while I'm out there helping clean up the environment.

5. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Any update????

6. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Still there.

Cheers,

Bill

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL

I look forward to that day.

Just knowing this car exists somewhere makes me feel anxious and excited. Hopefully it doesn't reside there forever :)

8. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Bill -

Can you tell us what model it is without giving away too much info? Not like anyone can go and get the car even if they did know the whole story....

Dying to know the details!

9. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi Bill,

Have to say no at this time. As unlikely as the recovery is, you never know when Clive Cussler might come knocking on my door and hopefully pay for the story.

Maybe I will write the story for my children and sell it some day.

At this point. Happy to simply wait.

If you want to get an idea of how impractical the recovery, rebuild, restoration and profitability of the project might be, pick up the book that documents the recover and rebuild of the P38 Lightning recovered in Greenland many years ago. The plane was called Glacier Girl and I understand that the total and direct costs of all involved to bring the plane back to the condition it is today including the recovery and restoration has exceeded $9M in total! Thats on a plane that would otherwise be in the $2M to $2.5M max category.

That plane was simply under ice and no one contested the recovery.

Good read if nothing more.

Bill

10. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #10 GIOTTO, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi Bill,

There is a reason they are still there. In any case irrespective of the cost, what a magnificent feet it was to see Glacier Girl take back to the sky!

Cheers,

Bill

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

IIRC National Geographic or someone similar did a one hour TV documentary about the GG P-38 recovery.........it was a great show if you can ever catch it again, watch it.

13. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Hi Bill. Wishing you the best on this. Among other things, it is fun to do this sort of thing.

I had the pleasure of seeing Glacier Girl fly at Reno a couple years ago. You know the operational features of this will be a cinch compared to that.

I have reread your posts though. You said that the Army and EPA will not allow any sediment displacement period. I see this as being like the guy who can pull the tablecloth off the table while not spilling a drop of wine etc. That's just not likely to happen in this case.

I'll have my old buddy and real treasure hunter and marine salvor Lee Spence call you. He has a pissing battle going on with Clive Cussler over the discovery of the Confederate submarine Hunley.

The more people that know the facts the more people understand that Lee discovered it in 1970. Thus Clive should be credited with refinding it since it was where Lee said it was all along. Interestingly, the day Clive Cussler is credited with discovering the Hunley, he wasn't anywhere near Charleston, SC. His own crew will be the first to confirm all this.

Of course a call to Clive could work. He has powers that Lee doesn't have. That is why Lee let Clive have the spotlight. It brought light to the Hunley and it was Lee's hope that it be raised so it played to his hand. By the way, Lee gave his "Federal" salvage claim to the state of South Carolina so that it could be raised.

Lee says somewhat tongue in cheek that Clive's problem is that he's a millionair novelist who wants to be a treasure salvor. He goes on to say that he himself is a treasure salvor who wants to be a millionaire novelist.

Sorry about the little hijack but I thought it would be interesting reading. You will find Lee fascinating.

Going back to my much earlier post. The reason that salvage law exists is that we as a society understand that there are things of value that we do not wish to lose.

Best of luck! :)

14. HunleyFinder

HunleyFinder Rookie

Jun 20, 2010
    Irmo, SC
    Full Name:
    Dr. E. Lee Spence
    Raising an underwater Ferrari sounds like its right down my line. Over 40 years ago I was interviewed by a reporter about my treasure hunting. Eying the old car that I then drove (I now drive a Hummer), she seemed to be questioning my financial success. I jokingly told her that I collected "antique cars" but truthfully added that one of my dreams was to raise and restore some cars that were sunk on a ferry in the Great Lakes in the 1920s.

As to the bureaucratic obstacles, red tape can always be cut through, it is only a question of whether it is worth all of the effort and costs involved.

Open Roads mentioned my 1970 discovery of the Civil War submarine Hunley and novelist Clive Cussler's claims to have found it in 1995. If you are interested in reading more about my discovery check out the following link. http://knol.google.com/k/dr-e-lee-spence/the-discovery-of-the-hunley-by-dr-e-lee/9a3pk7ykcgda/2#

Cussler's novels center around the adventures of an underwater archaeologist (Dirk Pitt) who collects antique cars and gets involved in all sorts of dangerous adventures (as have I). Besides claiming to have discovered the Hunley (even though I had found it 25 years earlier), Cussler has also claimed to have made other discoveries that I had previously been credited with making. So who knows, perhaps, as some have suggested, Cussler's Dirk Pitt is really just a fictionalized version of me.

Raising an underwater Ferrari sounds like a challenge/adventure that I would enjoy. Let me know if you want my help. Call me at 843 532-8222. If you have any questions about my qualifications, look me up on Wikipedia and/or read my profile at http://www.Facebook.com/shipwrecks.

Lee

Dr. E. Lee Spence
    president, Sea Research Society
    VP, International Diving Institute
    [email protected]

15. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks and welcome to F-Chat.
    One of the more interesting first posts.

16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Bill,

why not approach it with a barge / crane combo?

17. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi Doc Spence,

I will be in touch next week. I have some other adventures to share as well.

Cheers,

Bill

18. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    To steal a tagline from current Bud commercials - "Here we go." Hope this goes places and fchat gets a front row seat to some interesting things. Best of luck and good fortune to all. Thanks for sharing this much so far.

19. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Another Sea Research Society expedition in the making? F Chatters get the front row seats if it can happen.

I want to be there when she breaks the surface.

20. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

This thread is just one of the many which I have read here over the last decade that supports my contention that VINTAGE is the best section on F-Chat.

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Wow, very cool!!!

@Dr. Spence - best first post ever!!!

PDG

23. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    So what is the point of this thread??

~Ciao

24. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Expressing car guy passion.

25. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Hoping that should something ever happen to this car, we may be able to vicariously join the expedition via the chat room...