Brake light question for the electrical guys | FerrariChat

Brake light question for the electrical guys

Discussion in '308/328' started by gonzo350, Jun 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    Ok....84 Euro Qv. My drivers brake light does the following:

Parking lights are on, both bulbs are lit, depressing brake increases power to ONE bulb
    Parking lights off, depressing the brake lights only ONE bulb (same as above bulb)

So one bulb is not getting power when I step on the brake....both elements are fine...swapping bulbs has no effect...passenger side works normally. What wire to investigate?

2. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    As I understand, pressing the brake, one element of the bulb on the drivers side of the car, is lit. Depressing or removing your food, both elements are lit. Sounds like lack of a good ground to the fixture.

Yellow wire = parking lights to right fuse 5 (E')
    Red wire = to brake switch and to right side light

3. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    #3 gonzo350, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    I need to be more clear...sorry about that. Two different bulbs....only one lights when the brake is pressed other does not, both light with just the parking lights on, and only one gets brighter when pressing the brake and the parking lights are on. Sorry if Im not explaining it correctly.

4. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Actually bulbs from both sides are in play since you must use clues from one side to troubleshoot the other side.

The brake bulb red wire connects to left and right sides so both bulbs should light identically when the brake is pressed. If not, bad ground (or bad bulb).

Parking bulbs are also wired together left and right sides but the left one takes a detour, (but no guarantees) to join at the glove box switch (potential source of poor connection) before completing its full journey to the right 5 fuse. With headlight stem twisted, parking lights R & L should illuminate equally.

Common fault as noted before is a bad ground, especially when one bulb gets brighter. IIRC the bulb has brake/parking is one bulb with two elements in it, and with a bad bulb ground, the brake light current passes through the parking light bulb element to get a poor ground and dimly lit bulb.

I.e. when a single element light looses anything it goes out. But when a dual element bulb looses anything, you get odd symptoms. Hence, assuming the bulb is good, check the ground to the fixture.

5. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    I see....thanks for the great reply Paul....I'll start hunting this weekend!

6. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Let me know what you find, since I have the same identical problem!

Ace

7. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    With a test light take the bulb not working out either jump the terminals on the brake switch or have someone press on the pedal,Check and make sure you have current to the socket on the brake lead,Check for corrosion inside the socket and also check the wires to the socket.Could be as simple as Corrosion.