Handling with the free spinning rims. | FerrariChat

Handling with the free spinning rims.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ekasilicon, Oct 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I am sure that everyone has seen those SUV's with the rims that continue to spin when the vehicle is stopped. There is a guy that works in the same building as I do that has an Audi S4 with those rims. The other day I parked my car and I saw his car a few stalls away from mine. I went over and spun the rim, and was quite surprised to find that the free spinning part of the rim weighed a few pounds.

Does anybody know how this would effect handling at higher speeds?

2. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Maybe it'll act like a prop plane and fly away.

;)

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I think it is ****, it will react ar very heavy steering. take a front wheel of a bike, hold the axels and ask somebody to give it a spin. Then try to turn the wheel. The harder it spins, it is harder to turn the wheel. I think the same happens with the wheels on that car, resulting in very heavy steering. Don't know how power steering reacts to that.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I dont think they affect pwer steering at all since power assist give more than ample boost when it is functioning correctly.

I myself do not care much for the spinners.

5. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    A better question is why would anyone want them? I wonder what it takes to clean the brake dust off of them? pd :D

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Kids of course want them. It adds to the "coolness factor" of the car. All i see is it draining the wallet of cash.

7. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Of all the bling bling accessories, the spinning wheels have got to be the most awful invention. I expect to see them on an Escalade, but on an S4? Wow :eek:

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I can only hope and pray that I never have to see spinners on a leased Mo DEEE nah!

DL

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Probably just adding the weight to the wheel is the worse than the gyro effect. It will make the ride more harsh.

10. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    The "gyro" effect can't help the wheel bearings. I think they look like crap but then I'm old, bald, and cranky!!

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Some manufacturers recently spoke out on the issue. Their concern was that, by adding so much unsprung weight to the wheels, owners were negatively affecting the suspension geometry of the cars. Aftermarket proponents countered by saying that it was all bad propoganda to get them to buy manufacturer wheels and so on. I have to think they have some effect on the cars.

Another thing I always wondered about was those car stereos that "boom" so loud, you can hear the car vibrating. Won't that damage the car in the long run?

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    They had an article in Auto Week that talked about 20 and 22 " wheels causing suspension damage to cars not designed for them. As for the stereo that boom sure they destroy to car in short order since if you look close you can see the body panels flexing this will put wear on the hinge pins of the doors and anything else that pivots.

rob Guess "The Other Rob"

13. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Those wheels start from $10,000 and up.

That is just wrong when the wheels costs just as much as the car itself.

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I saw a clapped out Datsun pick up truck the other day with those on. What a waste. of course he could have been using them to help get the roach down the road!!

15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I don't think it's more like the suspension getting messed up, otherwise the local Cadillac dealer here wouldn't sell those stock and same with the Range dealer. You walk in on one side and most of the SUV's on that end either have like 24's, or Davins, or even those tacky add ons.

But hey, in the long run (where no one expects British and American cars to go :)D)) they might wreck havoc.

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

I saw a rusted out Nissan Micra with absolutely enormous spinners on them earlier today. It looked ridiculous. Well, those rims look ridiculous anyway, but even more so when they're SUV-sized wheels fitted to one of these:

Only, this one wasn't nearly in that good a condition. I bet each individual wheel with its painted on tires cost (without exaggeration) ten times more than the whole car itself. Of course, I didn't tell the unsavory-looking individual driving the thing any of this - he was probably a pimp or a drug dealer. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    People with spinners either don't care about performance or have no idea what performance actually is.