PORSCHE FAQ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

PORSCHE FAQ

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Kds, Oct 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#26 Kds, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't know the race/cup car info without researching........there were a couple of different Aerokits for 996's that production car owners could specify depending upon their model year (2 choices over the model run......one for 99-01 and one for 02-05) and race cars, well they are a totally different kettle of fish. All of which are not to be confused with the seperately available fixed rear spoiler you could also order thru Porsche Exclusiv for the 02-05 996 that was $4,500 up here in Canada and really ugly IMHO.

The early kit is as shown on the black car (and it is the best looking one IMHO) whereas the later kit had a straight (not curved) monoplane rear wing as per this pic on a car that someone added GT3RS decals to for no valid reason.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#27 Kds, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's the fixed rear spoiler from Porsche Exclusiv that was available seperately regardless of what other aerodynamic body parts you had on the car.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. muede

muede Rookie

Jun 24, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Thanks!

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What is Porsche's policy, if any, regarding the thousands of fake Speedsters and 550 Spyders badged as "Porsches"? I'd assume Porsche's trademark on the body design of these cars is expired after 50 years, but the badges and Porsche name and script are still in use.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#30 Kds, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Interesting question, for which I have no legitimate answer based upon a real world situation that I can quote as anecdotal evidence of them legally pursing someone.

Beck builds 904's and Spyders that can pass for the real thing from 10' and maybe closer.........he has for a while IIRC.......as has Intermeccanica built Speedsters......but, they doesn't put OEM badges on them. There are also some really nice 100 point 917 replica's available as well, from Australian and South African companies.

If someone does it after the fact (sticks the OEM badge on the car) I guess it is technicaly some sort of copyright infringement, but I personally doubt PAG has the resources, and quite frankly, the desire, to chase individual owners as long as no financial gain has been sought by them in doing so. When I had my website for 5 years I had a couple of well written and obviously well placed disclaimers regarding not being associated with PCNA, PAG, etc.....and that the shapes, photos, names and outlines of the cars were used for reference only.......blah, blah, blah.......they kept sending me calendars ever year.........so I guess it was OK.

6. dustified123456

Feb 12, 2009
    Woodbridge Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dusty McGrath
    Got a question. Whats the best porsche forum site to check out?

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

GOOGLE is your friend.....there are many out there, and it totally depends on what kind of info you want, your specific interests, and what kind of Porsche you have.

8. dustified123456

Feb 12, 2009
    Woodbridge Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dusty McGrath
    I did check out google but there were a bunch that popped up. I am after a 944 turbo/s so if that helps at all. I figured you guys would have a preferred forum of choice.

9. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    rennlist

10. dustified123456

Feb 12, 2009
    Woodbridge Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dusty McGrath
    Much thanks to both of you!!

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

More stuff coming soon.......work in progress......

12. Modulo_B

Modulo_B Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rudy
    Just wanted to say thank you to Kds for your magnificent Porsche faq-Fantastico!
    And to Rob for making it a sticky.

Kds, as you were driving your 930 and remember not to lift the foot from the gas
    pedal as described; isn't it true that the opposite should be done with a front
    wheel drive car in similar circumstances?
    Could you please clarify? Thank you for your time
    Rudy

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#39 Kds, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    FWD cars understeer when pushed hard..........so the answer is yes......take your foot off the gas and you'll regain steering control.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Oklay, tuff one here:

Can a pre-2008 Cayenne V6 do a good job of pulling, say, a 5,000 pound trailer?

What about 2008 on?

Dale

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Being rated for it is one thing......being able to do it competently is another.....so, good question Dale. I happily defer the answer to those who have done it, for I personally don't know, never towed anything with mine.

Never seen a Pepper with a trailer here in town either.

Hmmmmmm..........

16. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    I know two people that tow a Porsche with their V6 Cayenne. The older one has a large tire rack mounted on the (open) trailer.

The diesel is rated to tow ~7500 pounds.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    After looking at some of the Porsche boards, it is doable. BUT, towing is one of those things where bigger is always better. So, I'm thinking the V8 is the better choice.

Dale

18. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    I have no argument. Everyone should get a Renegade. It's the best tow vehicle for anyone that doesn't have a CDL. If you have a CDL, a nice 18-wheel hauler with a sleeper is the best way to go.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can you tell me more about a Renedgade. I googled it, but didn't come up with anything that makes sense.

Dale

PS Oh, and what is a CDL? :)

20. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    http://www.kibbi.com/

A CDL is a commercial driver's license. It's required when the rig weighs a certain poundage and when it's not a RV (like a Renegade hauler--since it's classified as a RV with its bathroom and bed).

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    WOW! Dat's styling.

Dale

22. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Is a later 996 a better car than an earlier 996? Is it safe to say "newer is better"?

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Yes.......marginally, as it is still a 996......it has a bit more HP......and a subtle cosmetic facelift.

24. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You can check with www.trailerseast.com also. They are here in NC and the oldest Renegade Dealer in the country. Tell them Neil sent you.