Coolant from water pump weep hole ? | FerrariChat

Coolant from water pump weep hole ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Doug, Jun 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Just happened on my last drive. Started puking coolant from the weep hole after a spirited drive. Should that be a "don't drive until rebuilt" problem or can I drive it as I wait for parts for a rebuild. I hate having downtime in a car. It only seemed to start leaking after I got in my garage and shut it down.

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    rebuild now,air can now get in the system and it will over heat now too

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The purpose of the weep hole is to let you know that the seal is failing. So...time to rebuild it. I would personally rebuild it ASAP but OTOH, it will not fail catastrophically all at once so it's not as if you can't drive it at all. I know folks who have driven cars with weeping water pumps for several thousand miles but, of course, you will be dripping the coolant the whole time and need to keep a close watch on that.

4. Rossa a nord di

Rossa a nord di Karting

Apr 30, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario, Can
    Full Name:
    Brent Pilon
    Happened to me. Eventually It will start smoking at stop lights. Water pumps are relatively cheap and only a little bit of a pain to install. $250 for rebuilt if I'm not mistaking. Should be able to get one quick.
    Last thing you want is the car to overheat.
    By the way, the weep hole is very hard to see without removing a whole bunch of crap. Are you sure it's the water pump and not some hoses. Unlikely but thought I would mention.
    Brent.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Anti-freeze is leaking past the seal and washing the grease out of the bearings. The bearings overheat and the WP shaft freezes and locks up. The belt breaks and the engine over heats. If you have the single belt version then the alternator stops working. Park it and fix it.

6. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I would suggest you add some coolant dye to the system, pressure test the cooling system. Lift the car in the air and use a black light to see where the coolant leak actually is. There are many hose connections and possibilities for coolant to excape from, adding dye and a black light will point you in the right direction.

I also agree that once a water pump is passing coolant out of the weep hole, it needs to be replaced. I would never use a rebuilt or rebuild a water pump for any car. The cost of a new pump is not all that expensive and consider the cost of an engine with a low cost rebuilt water pump. When I remanufactured my motor, i purchased a hi capacity water pump just for added cooling.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308 gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spider
    2 many brass era cars

7. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Did my waterpump last January, used an outfit called Flying Dutchman Water Pumps. Had learned about them from F-chat. Sent them my pump and they rebuilt it in 2 days, $250.00 including return shipping, and it has a 2 year quarantee. While I had the pump out, I replaced the 2 coolant hoses that are under the intake plenum, it's a little tight in there but using a small 1/4" drive socket was able to loosen & remove the hose clamps. The torque settings I used are: (4) bolts @18 -21 ft/lb, and (3) nuts @ 8 ft/lb. Good luck.

Flying Dutchman Water Pumps
    Tony Coenradi
    200 Davis Creek Rd
    Selma, OR 97538
    1(888)595-1110

8. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    The water pump just seized on my Mondial....fortunately it happened in my garage just before heading out for a drive. Parts for the rebuild are in hand..probably a project for my weekend enjoyment.. ;)

Brock

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello from Germany,

the current new waterpumps Ferrari supplies via official dealers are simply crap and a thoroughly rebuilt waterpump is a thousand times better.
    I installed one of those during last winter and it was leaking from the beginning.
    Furthermore there are the cheapest chinese bearings inside those pumps, I have ever seen. Woodworkers use that manufacturer for drawers and similar tasks.
    The impeller is made of brittle plastic and has evident axial and radial runout.
    I have then rebuilt one of my oldest waterpump with two new bearings and a new seal. This one works.
    I cannot understand and accept the quality of the repro spare parts Ferrari is supplying since a few years.

Best Regards

Martin

10. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I ordered the parts for rebuild and hopefully I will have it finished this weekend. Pump is out and I am waiting on the parts.

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    He did mine a few years back and said it would last for another 100K miles. He said I should never have to have it replaced again and if it leaked just send it back and he will fix it. We'll see as it's still running years later.