360 Oil Change - How many quarts? | FerrariChat

360 Oil Change - How many quarts?

Discussion in '360/430' started by F360Dave, Jun 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    How many quarts are required for an oil change on a 360?

I did a search but could not find an exclusive answer

Thanks!

2. chris360hawks

chris360hawks Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris Hard
    Usually 10-12 I believe.

3. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    It depends. Usually it takes between 9 and 10 quarts. But it all comes when you are filling the system with the engine hot and running. Be carefully when you are putting the last quart because you can overfill the system. The manual says that it takes 9.95 quarts, so what I do is that I insert 8.75 quarts first then I start the car until it reachs the operating temp and then I insert the remaining oil step by step using the oil stick. Sometimes that last quart take me half of an hour to get the exact amount of oil.
    Good luck!

4. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I always starts with 8 quarts and then run the engine hot until I see the oil temperature gauge at it's proper operating range, with the engine running I then check the oil level. Before adding oil I shut the engine off. Drive around few more minutes and check again. I generally end up adding 8.5 quarts. I don't try to fill it to the top of the stick, I am happy with mid point, that's plenty of oil.

5. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #5 chrmer3, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    Everytime I have changed mine 10.5 quarts + or - a TAD has put it where I want it on the dipstick.. I believe full capacity is 12 quarts from memory..

on the 8 quarts reply above, you sure you are removing BOTH drain plugs? That seems awfully low for amount drained....

6. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Both drain plug and the screen filter too, maybe the car is not level on my lift.

My notes from last oil change says 8.75 quarts, I may ended up having to add another half a quart couple month later.

I rather be low on oil than overfill. There are plenty of oil in the system, no chance to oil starvation anytime.

7. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    Thanks for the responses - helps immensely!

8. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Update... I must have counted badly previously. My latest oil change (last weekend) resulted in putting in 10 quarts so far. Will check in another week or so after putting some miles on her to see how much more I need to add.

9. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    A quick add on question:
    How do you guys check the oil? I checked mine according to the manual w the engine warm + idle and got a lot of foaming on the stick. Not easy to read the level w foams. Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks

10. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Dang - I ck my oil level with the engine running after the car is fully warmed up from driving, not just idling.

I used to get a lot of foam too until I switched over to Redline 5w40 oil.

11. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Foam as said above is due to the oil you are using... Mobil 1 I would guess...
    I did as the above poster did... switched to Redline 5w-40 you can buy it in gallon containers from Summitt racing.. (3 gallons & will leave you approx 1 1/2 quart as leftover)

12. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Totally agree!
    RedLine is the way to go. I use 10W-40 because of my weather too hot. I also use RedLine additive for my coolant flush which I did this past weekend.

13. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #13 chrmer3, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    Is there a tutorial on coolant flushing/changing for idiots yet on f-chat? Wanted to make sure I had the air bleeding figured out before I did that in the future.. Mine still good now but wouldnt hurt to have the know- how ;) btw Merry Christmas Ingpr ;)

14. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Chrmer3 -

I just recently did a partial coolant change, in replace of the coolant I used distilled water + Redline water wetter. No need to worry about radiator freezing here in Souther California.

You can partially replace the coolant in two ways:

(1) From the front radiators, there is a plastic drain plug on the bottom of each radiator you can unscrew and drain coolants from there, but not much will come out. You will need to remove the front under tray to get to them, would be a good time to upgrade the crappy factory screw clips while you are at it.

(2). Drain from the front radiator and then remove the engine belly tray and disconnect the vertical coolant pipe that goes up to the thermostat area. That will yield additional coolant.

To fill I use the "airlift" system combined with a shop compressor. Work perfectly without the need to bleed the system. http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G It is a very quality made unit, I was very happy with it's performance. Lots of shop uses this to solve trapped air problems in today's cooling system.

15. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Thanks for the heads up!!
    Seems pretty straightforward... I have a lift in my garage so I choose to do a lot of this stuff my self, I can take my time & I usually polish/clean the underneath as I do maintenance.. Keeps the car like new & I really think I am more meticulous than someone who does not own what they work on..
    To fill I use the "airlift" system combined with a shop compressor. Work perfectly without the need to bleed the system. http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G It is a very quality made unit, I was very happy with it's performance. Lots of shop uses this to solve trapped air problems in today's cooling system

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  16. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I have a midrise scissor lift, which works well for mid or rear engine cars, would love to have a two post lift but residential cookie cutter houses in California just didn't factor the garages to accommodate a two post lift.

17. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
  18. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    LOL!!
    Thanks!!

19. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Just changed my 360’s oil. Got 10qts out, put 8.5 back in, warmed it by idling for 10 min, kept topping off slowly and checking back up to 10qts. It barely registers on the dip stick. I tried driving it for 10 minutes after already idle warm and it was hot when I got back, 160 engine oil temp on the guage, needed glove to hold dipstick ect. It still registers low, barely on the dip stick!

I defiantly don’t want to overfill, so how is it possible I need to likely put in 1 More qt for 11 total? I let it drain for about a full hour until no More oil came out, including lowering it down to the floor on jacks and raising up (front tires wedged).

Thoughts?

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Did you read the book? There is accurate information in there to help you. It was written by the people who know the car best.

This thread is full of disinformation and is a great example why the book should be you first source of information.

21. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Yes, and checked the oil hot while running. I also noticed the 75nm torque for the 12mm and 14mm drain bolts is too much and following the book on that will strip the bolts as many have posted doing.

Zcobra1 and jcurry like this.
  22. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    #22 MikeR397, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2021
    Seems some have a similar experience with the 360 taking over 10qts, of course filling 1/2 at a time with engine running and oil temp 150+. I put in 10 and it’s barely registering on the dip stick, so will get her hot and add a little more at a time while running until it’s mid way between low and high mark.

Edit: apparently not able to link to that “other Ferrari site”

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #23 tazandjan, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2021
    is verboten on this site.

24. RacerWannabe

RacerWannabe Rookie

Jun 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jerry l Railsback
    Just finished mine. 9 quarts initially. Didn't even get to the bottom of the dipstick. 10 quarts got a solid reading. 10.5 quarts put it a little shy of the full line.