New York's New Fugly Plates | FerrariChat

New York's New Fugly Plates

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by sjmst, Jun 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    OK, so as I see more of these the more I hate them. They make EVERY car look like a beater. 80% of New Yorkers agree; they suck,
    BUT...there is a loophole!
    http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/...%94not-yellow/

So, as we were driving on Friday we saw this lime green car with a mustard color license plate. ‘Hello 1984!’ we thought to ourselves. ‘Wow, someone actually PAID to keep that thing.’ But wait, that’s a…hybrid. That’s no vintage car. Then we saw another one. And another one. And another one.

Well, every 10 years or so our wonderful state decides to change the design of our license plates: 1969 gave us blue with yellow numbers—bad, but not horrible. They got real creative in 1974 and reversed it, yellow with blue numbers—horrible. Then came 1986, white with navy numbers and the red statue of liberty—tasteful and simple. 2001, white again, a blue picture of Niagara Falls on one side, Manhattan skyline on the other—nice. Fast forward to 2010: ‘The Gold Standard.’

While we are usually a fan of all things retro or vintage, we have to say, a “gold” or bright yellow license plate on a brand new red Camaro—not feeling it. But, while we were getting ready to screw these new bad boys on our silver—yes, silver—car, while fastening our side pony tail with an electric blue scrungee and busting out into the safety dance, it came to us. We found a loophole: custom plates. And there just happens to be quite a few in the environmental category.

So, maybe this was their plan all along. Maybe this is just the government’s way of making us spend triple on customized plates to close the budget gap. Well, so be it. We surrender...

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Those plates are SO UGLY!

What is wrong with the ones you guys have right now? I think they are THE NY plate!

3. kevin323

kevin323 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Just renewed my Z3 for two more years. Registration up to $127 from $67 two years ago. You have 3 choices , stay with the old plates, get the new gold plates with a new plate # for $25 more or get the new plates with your old # for $50 more. Wonder what percentage of fools will cough up for the gold at renewal. If they wanted to raise some revenue they should charge extra and allow you to use only a rear plate. They would make a killing with the Captree crowd.

4. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Great idea, and that is why they won't do it. That is worth an extra 50bucks a year to me.

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    NY managed to find a plate that looks ugly with almost any color car. That's not easy to do!

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I like them. They remind me of the old time NY plates.

7. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Plus, they look quite nice on yellow or orange cars.

8. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Actually, they remind me of how incompetent NYS leadership is.

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They really are ditasteful..
    The only vehicle they will match is a school bus with black bumpers and a black tailpipe!

Dah, all of them!

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    We have a winner.

11. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    They are awful, I thought they were a joke when I first saw them.

12. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    I think some PA plates are the same color. When I first saw them, I thought they were from out of state. Then it hit me......

Luckily no new cars for a while.

Ace

13. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    And from a non-NY or US car person, IMHO, I don't like them. Not as nice as the 1986 or 2001 blue-on-white plates.

14. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    who really cares

15. BAD360

BAD360 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2004
    Albany/Colonie NY
    Full Name:
    Brett
    People who live in NY

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What's even worse is they probably paid several million dollars to a designer and then several million more on focus groups, with which they then through out the research so someone up high could just pick what he liked because it matched his wife's car.

17. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Saw one on a yellow Gallardo today, and it still looked horrible.

As the guy I was talking with said: "That's what happens when the governor is blind" ;)

18. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Best plates by far are from California. I absoluetely love them.

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I think they look identical to plates from the early 60's. I did not like the white plates when they first came out, so I'm sure in a few years or less we will all be use to them, however, I had to renew a registration recently and I opted for keeping my old plates, but it was probably more a of reason of not paying NYS another penny to register a car.

20. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I like the new plates....

21. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory