Any advice appreciated on these 360's | FerrariChat

Any advice appreciated on these 360's

Discussion in '360/430' started by Call Me Daddy, Jun 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Call Me Daddy

Call Me Daddy Karting

Jan 11, 2009
    Seal Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    i am posting for a buddy of mine who is actively looking for his first 360. I directed him here and he read the Buying FAQ's in this forum and found them very helpful.

Anyone know anything about these cars? Thanks in advance:

First is a 2002 Spider - black/tan vin ZFFYT53A120128621 for sale in Florida, carfax showed "belt change" but it was done at a Cadillac dealer? Cannot be cam belts I don't think (at least I hope not). This one is at a Chevy Dealer??? $84.9K, 24K miles

http://www.autonation.com/index.cfm?vehicle=2002_Ferrari_360-Modena&action=InventorySearch&subaction=SearchDetailUsed&InventoryID=17455707&inventorytype=Used&preauctionsearch=&fromSearchList&PhotoType=0&directionsselected=1

Second is at Walter's in Riverside, Ca. He made an appt to see the car, went over and the owner had taken the car home. Uggh.

2000 360, black/tan - vin ZFFYU51A9Y0121022
    27K miles, $67.9K
    http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&address=90501&resultCar=275619799&dealership_view_name=waltsmb&car_id=275619799&dealer_id=621813

Third is at Autohaus West:
    Red 1999 - 44K miles, $69.8K vin ZFFYR51A1X0116753
    http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&address=90014&resultCar=279514999&dealership_view_name=autohauswest&car_id=273520298&dealer_id=1165031

Thanks for any insight you can offer for him.

2. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    nice nice nice

3. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    #3 Chupee, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Heres some advice for your buddy . STOP i repeat STOP trying to steal a ferrari. THese cars are very easy to get into for a bargain but that price paid is rapidly impacted by a few trips to a real shop when the problems arise . all these cars have 2 things in common High miles and what APPEAR to be lower prices .. if your friend can really afford a 360 spend a little more up fron and enjoy the car . read a few more like 50 posts on some of the many little to bigger problems that CAN occur with these cars and you will get a sense of the frustration that goes along with it not to mention the checkbook impact . The only day the price paid matters is on day 1 thats it , Then the real fun begins.. Once again I use my car as a good example an 02 spider with 7100 stick mechanically 110% never an issue all serviced major annual blah blah for 97-98 range so these cars youre lookin at you better really STEAL to make sense Go one year down the road now youve got a 360 with 30 -40 or 50000 miles its gettin up there Good luck
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    I know you want to sell you car amigo but, I wouldn't say these are "high miles" cars.. 2 of them are under 30k, that is not high mileage on these cars.. it's not a total garage queen but hardly considerable mileage..

yes they are the cheapest you can get and for that reason you may expect to pay a little more in maintenance.. but if the guy checks them out and maintenance is up to date there is no problem.

5. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    Since Im white & jewish I actually dont respond to "amigo" and selling my car will happen when its right but for you to think 24 and up is not high mileage on a ferrari leads me to believe you must have wandered over from the Volvo forum . be serious when I was buying my car over 10 thats right 10,000 miles was considered gettin up there.. Sorry but the buying audience shrinks RAPIDLY at 24 -30,000 miles Youre funny . To be able to say 2 are under 30 thats not mileage with a serious tone you are the greatest salesman Ive ever met... you made my day Thanks

6. Brian20190

Brian20190 Rookie

Jun 22, 2010
    Washington DC region
    Is there a Modena that has made it to 100k? From what I have read it seems that the Modena is one of the most reliable of all Ferraris. I would think that if maintenance is done as it should be, there is no reason why they couldn't make it to 100k. Unless it was driven very hard by someone who didn't care. I would love more info on higher mileage Modenas and non maintenance problems that arise.

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  8. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    Pull the Manheim auction prices if they like those cars . Their are at least another 15 cars for ya with that kind of mileage. Why? Because thats where most of the high mileage Ferraris end up as the REAL dealers dont want em.. THat will give you some value basis

9. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Chupee, no offense but you are getting a tad "forceful" on pushing your car. You have a nice car, as many of us here do. However when you start bashing every car for sale dramatically lower than your sale price - its always a bash on the other car...

Maybe for once - realize this, you may be high on your sale price in todays market.

There I said it. Now criticize me or tell me I do not know the market or these cars.. etc ;)

Besides, as someone like yourself who is "between trust funds" give someone less fortunate than yourself a shot at ownership. Lower your price, sell your car & we can all go back to seeing posts without your car for sale in it ;)

No offense, but you just need to quit with the bias...

Contrary to what your view is, the newest 360 is now approx 6 years old.. at 3,000 miles a year that = 18,000 miles... I hardly call 3000 miles a year or 57 miles a week - "high miles"

You see now that people cannot disconnect odometers as easily as past models, the 360's on now reflect actual miles driven.. not actual imagined miles.

A clean car with service history is just as desirable car as yours... maybe more as the one driven will have had all the "bugs" worked out of her.

Good Luck with your sale, now go post it somewhere else than in the general forums ;)

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I know that as an unsubscribed ferrarichatter, I am a guest on this site and if I'm not cordial.. please give me a "verbal" spanking..
    Chupee I thought you sold your car for 90.. I might be wrong but I thought it sold...

Many apologies if wrong...

11. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    May as well leap in here...

Looked at a 35k mile red/blk '99 F1 yesterday. Fresh clutch, "recent" full service (waiting to see the records - they have a nice stack but wanted to white out the owner info first), rear bumper, hatch, and passenter qtr have paintwork. Nicely matched but on very close inspection I can see the blend line, slight difference in orange peel, and a few sanding marks in the bumper.

Car is very much a base model. No shields, hifi, seats, etc. Does have all books, tools, and spare. Only sticky parts in interior are the window switches. Everything else must have been replace or sent to stickynomore.

Ask is (optimistically) 79. This exact same car was at a 67.9 ask a few weeks ago in MD (I love the Internets :) ).

I'm considering proposing a straight trade with my 11,700 mile Slate Gray GT3 that is as nice as you'd expect. Still under Porsche CPO warranty until September, not that anything ever goes wrong with it. I suspect full retail on my GT3 is about 62k but I'm not sure. Trying to get auction numbers for a baseline.

This particular dealer tends to be very proud of its stock BUT they eventually come around. My friend has purchased an E46 M3, 996 TT, and a Noble through them over the years.

My heart is not set on this car but I'm going to drive it. A trade appeals to me from a convenience standpoint as well as saving ~$4k in taxes.

12. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007

Right, 02 spider that will cost you 15k in repairs should cost about 85k. A good one that has been taken care of should cost you 100k. There are no short cuts and no free lunches.

13. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is the car I am now focused on:
    First is a 2002 Spider - black/tan vin ZFFYT53A120128621 for sale in Florida, carfax showed "belt change" but it was done at a Cadillac dealer? Cannot be cam belts I don't think (at least I hope not). This one is at a Chevy Dealer??? $84.9K, 24K miles

http://www.autonation.com/index.cfm?...ionsselected=1

Does anyone on this forum have personal knowledge what would help me in making the decision. If we agree on the price, i am sending it to W. Palm Beach Ferrari for a PPI...should that reveal enough for me to know how much I will have to spend in the first 2yrs of ownership or so..i plan on driving it 3000mi./yr. It is Black with tan and Black top, F430 Wheels, and challenge grill. Also, how much should the PPI run me? Thanks.

14. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    I got a nicer car for just a tad bit more $

15. Call Me Daddy

Call Me Daddy Karting

Jan 11, 2009
    Seal Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Welcome aboard buddy. This is THE spot to learn about these cars.

From what I have read, PPI can cost between $700 and $3k. I am sure the experts who have done it will correct me if I am wrong. A simpler idea may be to call the dealer and ask. Don't forget they will probably stick you with the bill for trucking it there and back too.

16. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    #16 ttdang123, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The PPI itself should cost about $400 more or less. Here is the list that you could use to check some of it out by yourself to save some $$$ (just replace the VIN number + yr with yours) - best of luck
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. thxenzo

thxenzo Rookie

Jan 17, 2009
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    name
    Please consider two things.
    One being, the real reason for buying a car.
    Two, your financial Heath.
    My opinion, as long you want the car for pleasure and no other reason
    then miles do not matter. A complex car it is... it is really not that delicate
    Having said that, if you are forced to take it to the dealer (and you will)
    then your financial condition will change rapidly. And in this case again
    also miles do not matter. Just my 2 cents

18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Belt change at a Cady Dealer...................yikes!

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The only people in the Ferrari world that are neurotic about miles are Americans. Europeans actually drive these cars and enjoy them. Not pontificate about Ferrari ownership while polishing it with a diaper....... and God forbid....... actually drive the car!

If any of those cars with some miles check out, and have a complete service history, they are ready to be enjoyed by another 'driver', not a poseur.

20. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    word. ;)

21. Sandoval

Sandoval Karting

Jan 25, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #21 Sandoval, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks.

I am spending the next 6 months or so learning as much about these cars and reading through all of the threads that have been archived. I love to drive my cars I've had a half dozen Porsches over the past 10 years and an AMG that had a resale that sank like a rock. Every car I've owned has looked like and have been serviced/Maintained like Garage Queen. However, the miles would state the opposite. So I read through threads like this and I think to myself what am I getting myself into? Since 1999 I have wanted to own a 360 one of my favorite designs of all time. However I do not really want to fund a money pit in order for me to have a car that I can enjoy throughout the Spring and Summer here in Denver. I think some of the problems people complain about have to be attributed to the fact that a 10 Year old car is not being driven. High performance mechanical parts need to move and be lubricated on a regular basis. I can only imagine if these cars sit the majority of their life it can not be great for the car? Anyway, In any other car world less than 30K miles on a 8-10 year old car is extremely low and actually rare (In most cases). Such a dilemma do I just go and buy an 07/08 997 Turbo with 10K miles and a vote of german engineering confidence and be done with it... Or follow my dreams and own the car I really want.

BTW More Miles = More Smiles!

22. AlanWard

AlanWard Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alan Ward
    Follow your dreams. I'm in Boulder (so swing by sometime.... I'll be at C&C on Saturday in Lafayette). I bought an '04 360 Spider 2 months ago with 9K miles on it. I've been driving it daily since I got it and it's been perfect. I also got it thoroughly checked out locally (after also getting a PPI in CA when I bought it) and it came out perfect. If you do your homework and get a good one then you won't regret it.

23. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Porsches are nice- but you have no idea the blood pumping through your veins a Ferrari will bring... Seriously, Its like that.

You have had plenty of Porsches, time to step up & see what Ferraris are all about ;)

24. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    I bought my current cars with the following miles:

Lotus - 10k miles
    Maserati - 13k miles
    Ferrari - 6k miles

Just so you know I tend to buy low mileage cars, but I can tell you having done this and having driven well sorted identical cars to the ones I own with 40k miles, there is NO DIFFERENCE in car behavior or driving experience.. the ONLY difference between a well maintained 6k mile car and a well maintained 60k mile car is the numbers on the odometer..

I am 100% serious that under 30k is not high mileage, it's not period. These cars are far more reliable than you have given them credit for.. your cars is what I would refer to as "ultra low mileage" I would say 15-35k as "low mileage" 35-65k as medium mileage and anything above 85k is high mileage..

I do not subscribe to the "well it's a Ferrari, so high mileage is not the same as that in an audi" <-- What is that supposed to mean anyway? that Ferrari's are built so poorly the cannot withstand even 50k miles without complete engine failure?

It's all BS.. and I think most of it is perpetuated on this forum as well.. Plenty of owners have good mileage on their cars..

25. LAgated360

LAgated360 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 2, 2008
    LA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I believe it sold for 98 or 99.
    It's a gated low mileage car that didn't take long to sell.