Wow!!! $500+ for a thermocouple | FerrariChat

Wow!!! $500+ for a thermocouple

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mr308gtb, Jun 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Guys - I know we are all rich and own ferraris but what the ***. was just trying to understand a bit more about the cat ECUs on my 348 and saw the mention about the possibility of it being the ECU or the thermocouple.

Ricambi America sells the thermo couple for for $530+

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=199926

this is absolutely insane. I think based on the wire coloing this a standard k type thermocouple??? many available are rated for up to 750 degree use. all very inexpensive. that is just a joke.

does anyone have a substitute part source for this???

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The thermocouples are usually not the problem, they are pretty robust. Have you swapped the cat ECU's to see if the problem switches from one side to the other?

Brian Brown
    Patrick Ottis Co.

3. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    actually i just changed out 1 ecu. and the car runs fine, but my 5-8 slow down light does not come on in the start up test. I need to look into it further. I was just investigating it and saw the thermocouple and the ricambi price... had to comment. what a joke. its litterally two pieces of standard wire and a connector plug... I actually think the ECU is also a joke. serves its purpose but practically nothing to it. I'm going to crack open the one I just replaced.

In fact Im going to crack it open right now...

4. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    First revelation - if the rubber appears to be seperating from the platic casing, that doesn't matter AT ALL. All of the components are encased in a solid block of rubber. if its seperating from the side it does not mean moisture or anything is getting into the ECU... I peeled off the plastic casing and the thing is still in tact. more to follow.

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Just for information sake, the 348 thermocouple is part #144270, and it lists on the Superformance site for 73.70GBP (Pounds), which would convert to about $107 at an exchange rate of 1.4512 Dollars / Pound. I have no idea why there is such a difference.

6. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    hey thanks for the tip. I guess it pays to shop around and also to have some more of an understanding what these parts actually do. this is basically just two pieces of wire. LOL...

7. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    RE: thermocouples, I'd certainly look at talking with an industrial instrumentation shop to get one repaired or even custom-built before spending $500. If you think that's a high price, last I saw, engine mounts for the 348 were over $2000 each!! Somehow we need to find a different source for these!

8. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    ......Calling Hill Engineering, here is another project for you!

9. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    It seems that Ricambi must think we are loaded with money and will pay their outragious prices, just because they have it in stock. What I have found is try ordering the part from your Ferrari Dealer, you will be amazed at the difference in prices usually lower than Ricambi. My dealer Ferrari of Seattle will work with you on prices. They are more than helpful to obtain older non stocking parts when I have needed them.

I would rather import, or buy from the dealer than be held up by those guys. There are a number of very competative suppliers on here that have the older inventory and usually lower prices. Check some of the parts threads here, there is a wealth of information regarding parts and availibility from many different sorces.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with a business adding profit to their inventory. Afterall they sorce the part, inventory the part, have overhead with catalogs, phones, employees, they are intitled to make a resonable profit, but from quoted prices of $140.00 to $540.00 for the same part, hmm and they don't even use a mask or gun................I'd be curious for Ricambi to respond, there may be a simple explanation.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 300i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spider
    2 many brass era cars

10. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting that I’ve found generally just the opposite. In my case, Daniel has always been more competitive than my dealers down in the SF Bay Area – even when they (dealers) offer me a “deal”. Also, Daniel seems to have the parts mostly in stock where my dealer always needs to order them.

In your case, I know FoS’s Mark very well and he’s great to work with and takes care of his customers. Too bad I’m not up there much any more with my cars.

Tim

P.S. If $500 for a thermocouple seems outrageous, try $300 for some F40 bolts - EACH, of which there were 10 that needed replacing. You can imagine that I chose an alternative… ;-)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260580

11. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Try pricing the thermocouple and ECU for a Diablo! Ferrari whether from Ricambi or the dealer parts are much cheaper item for item.

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Our pricing algorithms are not something I feel the need to discuss on the Internet.

When something seems completely out of whack, just give us a call. We often acknowledge these kinds of pricing discrepancies, and adjust immediately for customers.

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

...actually, we found a situation yesterday where its the reverse! (I was surprised too).

A very common 360/430 item is about 40% cheaper through Lambo than Ferrari for an identical item. We ordered a bucketload yesterday, and as soon as they arrive, we will lower the Ferrari price.

14. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    so is there an alternative cheaper thermocouple for the 348

15. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    Welcome to the world/reality of Ferrari ownwnership!dont blame me,blame Enzo

16. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I've used Ricambi and they were the same price as Ferrari (except that Ferrari said the parts were obsolete, but Ricambi still had some stock)
    Also the guy at Ricambi was very helpful/friendly, and the parts arrived quickly from the USA to the UK where I live.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You guys also have to remember..excellent service comes at a price. Mike and Daniel step up to the plate and get the job done. That type of service will get all my business regardless if the part is cheaper somewhere else.

18. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #18 AceMaster, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
    No need to explain Daniel, a rant about somebody's prices on an internet forum are not only inappropriate, but also uncalled for - especially someone as respected and as helpful as yourself.

PLUS ONE

19. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well said, Mike. Daniel has always been amazingly helpful and professional. Try to find another Ferrari parts supplier that will make a late night run to the airport to get you a part that you HAVE to get overnight. In addition, when I purchase a part from Ricambi I have absolutely no worries with regards to purchase of some knock-off or a part that has been sitting on a shelf for a decade.

20. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    +1.

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is excellent Scott, and should be coupled with my post just to emphasize :)

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    In reference to the thermocouple, it's either a K or J type. the K being the most common and used in aftermarket ECU exhaust temp probes, retails for less than $50. the temp range would determine the type used. the early 2-way catalytic converters were monitored to stay below 900c but the newer 3-way can sustain 900c. the thermocouple relays signal the dash light at 900c to flicker and 950c constant.

23. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    You're an ass

24. Emagdnim360

Emagdnim360 Karting

Jul 8, 2010
    interweb 4.0
    Full Name:
    Banks
    #24 Emagdnim360, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
    I use roughly 100+ TC's a month; if any of you need thermocouples please let me know the exact specifications and I will send you a price quote as I get them at cost.