Touch up paint? | FerrariChat

Touch up paint?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ColoradoTiger, Jun 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ColoradoTiger

ColoradoTiger Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Any recommendations for yellow touch up paint?

2. SBrooks

SBrooks Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sam Brooks
  3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    If your car has the original single stage paint then it now has 29 years of fading.
    It has been my experience that more times than not, off the shelf paint will not be an exact match.
    My suggestion would be to visit your local auto store which has a pro paint area, and have them take a multi-angle reading from your car. They can then mix an exact paint match to your car as it is today, not what it was 20 plus years ago.

All the Best!

4. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.

Paintchip.com.

5. chipkent

chipkent Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    I'd be careful where you get the touchup paint, and I would do a test in a non-obvious place. I ordered some from a "reputable" online vendor, and the color wasn't even close. My next try will be a local auto paint store with a spectrophotometer. If they don't use the gun, don't expect the paint to match. I did a little touchup on my 2004 subaru. My wife picked up the paint and didn't know she needed to have them use the gun. Needless to say, the color didn't match that well. For a subaru, it might not matter, but it would be really irritating on any of my other cars.

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    www.paintscratch.com. I've gotten touch up paint for the Rosso Corso 300 from them, and it matches perfectly!! I've gotten paint for other cars from them, and they always match. Never had a problem with them. Easy to buy right on line.

7. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    DO NOT use www.touchup123.com.

I ordered $100 worth of stuff from them a year ago. Never got any paint or my money back....nothing but a bunch of runaround.

8. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    I got Rosso Corsa 322 from paintscratch but is was a poor match. What is Rosso Corsa 300? is that what I need to ask for to get a good match?
    Thanks
    PAUL

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    +1 Good advice.

10. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    +1000

Seriously, why does everybody on this forum go online to order little bottles. Just go to any DuPont/PPG/Glasurit/BASF/whatever dealer who supplies auto body places, have them take a reading or just give them the paint code. It's not like these online places have anything special. Every single decent auto body/paint store in the country has all but the rarest colors of the rarest cars in their database. That's all these online stores are doing -- reading from the same data that every paint store has. News flash.

Not to mention, the paint stores who have been around for a long time will have books and books of color chips from years and cars you never thought you'd ever see a color chip for.

11. John_308qv

John_308qv Karting

Apr 9, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Concur on using a local auto body paint supplier. I ordered Rosso Corso 300 from paintscratch.com and while close, it was a little off (and it is PPG not Glasurit paint). Local paint supplier was able to provide and exact Glasurit match and he was a little cheaper than paintscratch. Good Luck.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    had the local Paint Supply scan and match my yellow, they made me two full size spray cans of it......

I get a lot of chips.......

13. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Paul,

If you have a 308, and it is that bright "fire engine" red, it is probably Rosso Corsa 300. I think the 322 is a deeper, somewhat darker red. The label inside the lip of the engine hood said the paint was Glasurit Rosso Corsa 300, so that's what I got from Paintscratch, and it matched perfectly. It also matched a red '84 Mondial QV that I owned, and my '86 328, which also has the same Glasurit label with the paint color. YMMV, but that worked for me.

Regards,
    Steve

14. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    +1

15. Raricar

Raricar Karting

Jun 17, 2010
    Greenwood Village CO
    Full Name:
    Bill M
    Allen Paint, at 1943 South Broadway
    Denver, CO 80210-4004
    (303) 744-1755

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    If memory serves, Rosso Corsa was an 80's creation, while 70's cars were painted Rosso Chiaro.

17. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    My '78 GTS was Rosso Corsa 300 (decal on the car said it, and paint color matched it), as was my '84 Mondial QV, and the '86 328 I now own. I'm not sure when RC300 was introduced, but I thought that Rosso Chiaro was an optional alternate paint color. But I could be wrong. I have not seen many 3x8s in Chiaro. More seem to be Corsa 300 (the "ubiquitous" Ferrari Red!!).

18. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Chiaro Was Ferrari red in the 60's & 70's, before Corsa became known as the standard Ferrari red.

19. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Interesting. Had your car ever been repainted? It's my understanding that up through 1979, Ferrari used Glidden Salchi paint and Rosso Chiaro 20.3.90 was the "Ferrari Red." 1980 and later, Glasurit paint was used and Rosso Corsa FER300 became the new red. My car was missing it's paint sticker, but other pre-1980 cars I've seen have a Glidden paint sticker.

20. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Correct Eric.