Carbon Ceramic Brake upgrade? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Carbon Ceramic Brake upgrade?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MalibuGuy, Jan 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm stuck with a difficult choice at the moment. I want to upgrade by standard steel brakes which are properly worn and distorted and really dont know whether to get CCMs or AP racing big brake kit. I've owned two stradales and know the benefits of CCMs and had no problems with them - they are awesome once warm. But something is telling me to run APs on my project car. The car is running on 19" challenge wheels and would take one of their big brake kits.

Decisions, decisions !!

2. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Haven't you broken the secret swarn code by revealing this?

So the standard oprice is 20,000.00 ? I had heard 24,000.00 but that is not far off

3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    So the standard oprice is 20,000.00 ? I had heard 24,000.00 but that is not far off[/QUOTE]

I paid £2500 GBP for my full kit ...4x calipers 4x discs 2x handbrake calipers with brake hoses plus all fixing bolts (longer than standard 360 bolts). Secong hand granted but only 7k miles on them.

Have seen a couple of CCM sets recently go for less than I paid !!

4. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob

I paid £2500 GBP for my full kit ...4x calipers 4x discs 2x handbrake calipers with brake hoses plus all fixing bolts (longer than standard 360 bolts). Secong hand granted but only 7k miles on them.

Have seen a couple of CCM sets recently go for less than I paid !![/QUOTE]

Scott could you give me the heads up on any sets mate, i need somethings asap ..

5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Scott could you give me the heads up on any sets mate, i need somethings asap ..[/QUOTE]

Rob no probs if I see anything I will PM you.

6. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    #81 BusDriver, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    My experience...

Before purchasing my F430, I drove a CCB and a steel equipped car back-to-back on the same route. The CCB car had a much better ride and lower initial brake pedal travel. And of course, no brake dust.

After that, I specifically looked for a CCB equipped car, and soon bought one.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If you can get them at a good price retro-fitted used 430 CCM's make sense for the 360 driver.

If your changing from the original small sized 360 steel brakes to ccm you are getting big gains, they are a much better brake than the original 360 ones and they can be now purchased inexpensively as a used buy so they aren't costly either.

On CCM...
    1. Your substantially reducing your unsprung weight improving handling, acceleration and braking considerably
    2. Your improving your braking over the stock brakes so you enjoy better stopping distances vs stock 360 brakes
    3. Your getting brakes that don't fade even without good aero cooling
    4. You can still use the car on the road because they are a factory part and have a working handbrake. (a legal requirement in the UK).

I totally get why Racers don't like them and if your paying silly money for your CCM, well thats a different matter.

Ofcourse if your buying new brakes and understand the cons of fitting racing brakes, the state of the art in racing brakes could be a better bet for you. On a race car its a no brainer, new race steel brakes are cheaper than new CCM and yes they have better brake modulation and yes they are even lighter too so its a no brainer.

On brand new cars it does indeed beg the question about using the top of the line steel brakes (which are lighter anyway) vs ccm - In fact this is why the new McClaren road car will go with steels vs ccm as standard. I guess Ferrari have invested so much $$$ they want to keep them and they make a great marketing differentiator too - oh and yes they are getting better every couple of months too.

...but...

On race brakes..
    ... You must fit a racing bumper or adapt your original and you must fit carbon cooling ducts to your brakes or they will still fade on the track (steel brakes still fades with heat unless your driving fast enough with enough aero re-direction of cool air into the brakes).

All race cars have this part solved but road cars like a stock 360 does not. If you don't drive fast enough and you don't do the aero properly even the best race brakes on a Road car will fade.

Then there is the issue of the handbrake no longer operating. Again not a problem for true racers but for road legal cars it is.

All race cars get regular brake rebuilds, most top line race brakes have no dust boots or anything else, road car owners don't tend to like to rebuild their calipers every year. 430 brakes address this more than pure race brakes but still aren't great in this sense and CS ones are basically on par with race brakes (i.e. virtually no elements protection at all, just a scraper).

CCM's overall as a used buy are a very good compromise compared to race brakes which yes are the current ultimate...

8. zipperkarting

zipperkarting Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    I think you’ve answered one of my questions. I just bought a used set of carbon discs, so I assume I can use my standard bells and standard calipers from my 360. Is this correct? I eventually want to replace the standard bells with some lighter ones. I assume I must replace my standard pads? Any ideas on replacement pads for fast road use?

9. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Sorry should have posted this separately.
    I have just purchased a set of carbon discs from a 458 and the seller has told me they will be fine for my 360 Modena with 18” Challenge wheels.
    My question is what other parts will I need to fit them to my car?
    Bells - can I use the standard ones or what? What bell options are a single at a reasonable price?
    Pads - what pads would be good for fast road use as the car is used mainly in France
    Calipers - are the standard 360 ones suitable
    Caliper bolts - do I use the standard ones or what? Where do I get titanium ones from?
    Thanks.

10. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To the best of my knowledge:

458 ccm rotors, with the right calipers, will not fit with 18" wheels

Standard bells will not fit. You will need a custom bell fabricated. I believe (need to verify) the scuderia and later cars share the same rotor with the corvette zr1 and only the bells are different. So you can swap rotors with those cars. But the 458 is very different from a 360 so their bells will not work. You will need a custom bell, because the 360 cs and challenge car uses same ccm rotor as the 430, which is different than the newer rotors for the scuderia and 458.

Scuderia and 430 challenge bells may work since their ccm rotor is the larger scuderia / 458 size, you need to verify yourself tho.

You will need ccm specific pads. Regular brake pads will not work properly.

Standard calipers will not work. They won't be large enough to fit on the rotor. You will need 458 or scuderia, or 430 ccm calipers. With adaptors as well.

With the bell that brings the brake fitment back into oem spec, your oem bolts (titanium or aluminum) will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zipperkarting likes this.
  11. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Well according to the guy I have bought them from they came off a 430

12. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic

13. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Okay so been in touch and the rotors are from 430 Challenge and the guy has assured me they will fit a 360 with 18” Challenge wheels. So I just need some bells and ccm calipers if anyone has any lying around. This is exciting.