What event am I missing at Monterey? List still incomplete | FerrariChat

What event am I missing at Monterey? List still incomplete

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bitzman, Jul 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Every year I ask myself "Do I really need to go there?"
    And as July starts, I can't resist.
    Here's where I plan to go so far but I haven't heard yet of Ferrari club gatherings, private (semi) parties such as when Pininfarina rents a tent at Pebble and has a preview, press showings, yadda yadda.
    I present my half baked list for those who haven't been there because you really have to be at full chat in top cog to make them all. Last year , try as I might, I still missed about 20% of the events--I would've need a jet helicopter to make them all.

WEDNESDAY

Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival Monterey airport

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Event Time: 5 pm to 10 pm TiP:get there early, the food goes fast

The Monterey Jet Center- Sky Park Drive, Monterey

THURSDAY

Mecum Auction start 9 am

Russo and Steele Auction

FRIDAY

Concorso Italiano

Motorsports event at the Quail

Bonhams & Butterfields Auction at the Quail

RM auction in downtown Monterey that evening

SATURDAY

Monterey vintage races Laguna Seca all day

RM Auction that evening

Gooding Auction Pebble Beach

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SUNDAY
    Monterey vintage races Laguna Seca all day
    Ferrari Corral & Viewing Tent at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion

The cost is $91 for the weekend.

Pebble Beach Concours d’elegance Pebble Beach

Also suggest on side trips: Clint Eastwood's Mission Inn ranch (behind the Carmel mission about 100 yards toward the ocean; looks like old farm) for dinner on the verenda and cocktails. If you go late, there's jazz (Eastwood used to play jazz piano at a bar in Oakland when he was 16!)

Woodies of Carmel, in Crossroads Plaza off Highway 1 and Rio road, sort of a car memorabilia shop with lots of Ferrari models and some Ferrari art

2. CarmelFerrari

CarmelFerrari Karting

Apr 24, 2008
    Wednesday

Ferrari gathering at the Crossroads Shopping Village
    noon - 3PM

Thursday

Ferrari Pacific Region Vintage Condours
    Chateau Julien Winery
    Carmel Valley, CA
    all day with dinner in the vineyards

3. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Friday:
    Khaki's

4. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    Khaki's event is on Saturday, starting at 4:30 at the Barnyard center.

Automobilia is on Tuesday and Wednesday at the Embassy Suites.

5. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This is what you are missing....!

www.ItalianStampde.com

This is shaping up to be the largest Italian car drive EVER... LOTS of Fcars coming!!!

6. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And so it is! Mea culpa.

7. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Sorry to disappoint you guys. I called Khaki's to confirm their event and they have relocated to downtown Carmel and are NOT having an event this year. They plan to resurrect the event next year. Therefore NO Khaki's Ferrari event this year! :(

8. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    They need to update their web-site then.

9. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Is there a single web site to go to that covers all the potential events?

I've never been to this weekend before so I'm not sure of the protocol or what to expect. Do people spend the day at Concorso or come and go? Do I register teh FCar or not. For the historic races, how do I get the car into the Ferrari Corral?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks!!!

10. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Concorso is not a "come and go" event unless you're attending as a spectator. You have between 7am and 9:30am to drive your car onto the golf course to display (you must register for this). You could potentially leave whenever you want but you would not be granted access back into the venue. You usually spend most of the day there. If you don't wish to "show" your car you can simply attend (park in parking lot) and pay to go into the event. The longer you wait to buy tickets (either as a participant or attendee) the more expensive they get. Best to go to their website and select your purchase as soon as possible. From personal experience - if you're bringing your F car and don't have other pressing plans for Friday - the only way to go is to register as a participant and park your car on the golf course.

The Ferrari corral at the Historics is usually hosted by the FCA. You need to be a member (I believe) of the FCA in order to register and park your car in the corral. I think it's $90 and includes lunch. Best to check FCA's website for further details.

11. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Any good wineries to go to in the area as well?

12. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    The FCA like this particular winery and will have it's second annual event there this year:

On August 12th 2010, the Pacific Region will return to Château Julien (www.chateaujulien.com) and present an FCA Member Exclusive Vintage Concours. All members of the FCA from all regions are welcome to come and also bring their Ferraris for judging or display. Bob Brower, owner of this picturesque working winery in the heart of Carmel Valley, will again donate his facility for this FCA Member only event. We expect over 135 Ferraris and 300 guests to attend. Those who attended last year's inaugral event reported it to be one of the best Club events of the year!

13. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    For those who have never been, keep in mind that at some point the heat (especially at Laguna Seca and in the auctions under the bright lights) and sheer amount of walking will get to you. Don't be surprised to let something give -- you just won't have the energy to do all the events.

Quite honestly, it's impossible to be everywhere at once. You can walk between R+M and Russo and Steele, but getting from any of the events to Laguna Seca takes a good deal of time. Plan wisely -- look for auction lot lists and Monterey Historic class run times so that you're seeing what you want to see during the small chunk of a multi-day event.

Most importantly, realize that schedules and car appearances change... The last time I was there I was covering the events. I wound up getting a side gig to take pictures of an unveiling and it threw my entire schedule off as I spent hours trying to get impossible shots, which I eventually did. But I had to blow-off an entire day scheduled at Laguna Seca while I worked another day at The Lodge at Pebble. Turned out well, and actually, my legs were better off not hoofing it around LS for a second day.

14. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    Just received the current Pilota. There is an add for a Ferrari event at the Barnyard. It has the same description as Khakis did in the past, same time, same place on Saturday. It doesn't say where to preregister.

15. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Thursday August 12
    Downtown Carmel on Ocean Ave. Many of the Pebble Beach cars are parked on the street from about 11:00 AM till about 2:00. You can walk right up to them.

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have been I guess 30 some times, seen it grow from tiny event to huge
    As far as bringing your Fcar, I only brought mine twice, once my 308GTS the second time the C4. It is great to drive there in a Ferrari if you have the time to go through Big sur (fill up for gas in Cambria, no gas stations until Monterey) but then you have less room and if youa re taking two or more people, no room to take all your stuff. Then too, some of the parking is less than ideal, like in the dirt at Monterey if you are not in the Ferrari corral.
    Overall I wouldn't take it unless you are going to some subsidiary event for Ferrari fans. On the other hand if it's just a fun trip, you don't have much luggage you will always remember the time you went to Monterey in the F-car. Also on hotels, you will now have to start looking as far as San Jose to the North. Not much available to the South or East (just farm towns). As far as a budget, I get passes (i can type, therefore I be a journalist) but even without passes, $100 a day is reasonable and that's figuring not buying anything.

17. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Yup, that is the big event on Thursday, the Pebble Beach rally or whatever it is called where a lot of the Concours cars take to the road for a rally, its the only even I will be at on Thursday unless there is a F-Chat dinner that day also.

18. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Is there a contact number to call and check on this? Post the info if you happen to reach someone or can confirm and event there. Thanks.

19. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky

Check out this site for an overview of most of the events

http://www.montereycarweek.com/

20. woodiesofcarmel

Jul 18, 2010
    Carmel CA.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sollecito
    WWW.MONTEREYCARWEEK.COM

21. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Very cool, thanks. I'll have to try and make this.

22. Daytona

Daytona Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    The Valley
    Full Name:
    Mikee
    The Barnyard is definitely happening. 4:30 till 7:00pm Khakis is closed however the Barnyard management is putting on a GREAT event. Live Jazz, local wines and cuisine. Each admission gets an event wine glass. 3618 The Barnyard, Carmel, CA 93923 .. www.thebarnyard.com

23. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I read (in the Carmel Pine Cone newspaper) that the Carmel Concours on the Avenue event had been canceled for this year, but then I read on AutoWeek's web pages that it is back on, in a reduced capacity. Who knows now?

Here is the AutoWeek article: here

24. Rossa156-63

Rossa156-63 Karting

Jan 21, 2010
    Petaluma, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Galleguillos
    Is the Concours open to enthusiasts as well as members? Being a modeler I'd like to take photos of the cars.

Rossa156-63