scratch built Mazzer roadster | Page 11 | FerrariChat

scratch built Mazzer roadster

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wildegroot, Jan 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Very nice work and thinking. I would have used Kevlar instead of fiberglass as it is the same weight but much stronger but fiberglass will work just fine also. Did you use epoxy or an isothalic resin. Some of the fiberglass resins permit water to pass through but usually only after continuous emersion. Epoxy is bulletproof. I used to play with all those materials back in my sailing days.

Elliot Siegel

2. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Pete, Mike, George and Elliot, thank you for the compliments. Wil

3. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I've used fiberglass for that purpose for years already. It seems to work and we had a bunch lying around so why not use it. After thoroughly soaking the fiberglass cloth with resin we used a plastic spreader to squeeze out most of the excess resin so it wouldn't get too heavy. It's polyester resin. According to the supplier, you can't use epoxy resin with the material we laid. We're going to spray a thin coat of red gel-coat to keep out any water that may try to get in and also to help deflect rocks.

Wil

4. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #254 wildegroot, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    I posted pictures of the ground effects rear diffuser earlier but I decided this last weekend to trash it. I'm not happy with the way the fiberglass covering came out and it IS starting to get too heavy. It's not a total loss. I know it fits the car, after making several revisions, and now I can copy the dimensions and make a new diffuser out of 6061 sheet aluminum for the top surface and carbon fiber sheet for the sides and splitters. It should be way lighter.

Since we're in the fiberglass mode now though, we're going to be making fiberglass molds, soon, of the front valence/front spoiler pieces and then lay up some fiberglass copies. As I mentioned before, I don't want want these low hanging, vulnerable body parts to be too strong. If I hit a speed bump I'd rather destroy them than have the impact travel up into the aluminum nose. We'll also make them with red gel-coat, even though they'll be painted red later, so they won't look too bad when they get minor damage and stone chips.

There's going to be a little delay though because winter seems to be pretty much over and it's time to dig my 308 out and get it ready for the first local Ferrari driving event. :)

5. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    We also decided not to fiberglass the inner fender panels. They're being smoothed out and will get a couple of coats of spray-on "chip guard" on the vulnerable side before painting them. If they get dented then oh well. It was just too much extra complication and extra weight fiberglassing them.

6. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Wil, just some off the cuff thoughts. What about the spray on liners they use for pickup truck beds? Would a thin coat of that be more durable than the chip gaurd? Or how about adhering a thin layer of that tough styrofoam they use for packing, it goes by the name Ethafoam, very light and very very tough. You know, just layer the potential high impact areas.

Ciao,
    George

7. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    George,

We did consider spray-on bed liner. It would probably help deflect flying stones but it wouldn't contribute structurally. I know for a fact that the fiberglass deflects stones and it also helps to stiffen the fender which is a good thing.

Chip-guard helps protect against paint chips so why not use it on the exposed inner fender panels? I think the bed liner material would be too rough and look ugly on the inner fender panel which is in almost full view since the wheel arch opens out like on the famous old Testa Rossa.

I WILL look into the Ethafoam you talk about. I'm not sure I've heard of that product before but It's never too late to learn something new.

Wil

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wil- Just caught up on your thread, one of my favorites. Very sorry to hear about your mother. Always tough.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Taz, Thanks, that's kind of you. I'm a big guy and I'm dealing with it but I knew her longer than anyone else on earth and it's still hard to believe she's gone.

I'm hitting the road in a few minutes and will be gone for a few days but I'll post some more pictures of progress on the car soon.

Regards,

Wil

10. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
  11. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #261 wildegroot, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
    Thanks for the interest. Unfortunately circumstances have forced me to put the project on hold again. Since my mother died in January my father, who is 89 years old, is living all alone.

He's quite capable of taking care of himself but it's just not a good situation so we've asked him to move in with us. He accepted and will move in as soon as he's sold his house (which in this market is not easy). In the mean time we've been making all kinds of changes and renovations to the house in preparation for his arrival.

We're also in the middle of trying to put up a new building for Exoticars USA. We're under contract to buy a piece of property with an existing structure onto which we want to attach a larger building. Right now we're paying for a lawyer, an engineer and an architect and we've only just begun. Pretty soon we'll be paying for the township's lawyer, engineer, etc and whatever crazy ideas the planning board will come up with just to make life difficult and more expensive.

Anyway, all my time, effort and spare money is being diverted. The Mazzer roadster will have to wait but not for too long I hope.

12. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    You got a lot on your plate man, and you got priorities in the right place! Hope everything progresses smoothly! We'll be here when you can get back to the car.

13. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Wil, thank you again for this great thread. Sorry to hear of these circumstances. I wish you all the best and hope to see you reporting back about this project soon enough.

Vasco.

14. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to being back soon to finish the project.

15. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thank you. I should be working now. I'm typing this during a commercial while watching the Turkish GP. After that back to work!

16. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Best Wishes!

Ciao,
    George

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    +1 not surprised to discover you have your priorities straight, you seem a real gentleman, all the best

18. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks George. Same to you.

19. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thank you Mike.

20. Mazza1

Mazza1 Karting

Apr 10, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adam Szewczyk
  21. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #271 wildegroot, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a couple of shots of the rear body section after doing pick and file (and sanding) work on the right rear quarter and then moving to the tail light area. We're making one new right rear inner fender panel and touching up the louvers and rear valence also. Next we'll apply and sand down a skin coat of polyester filler to hide minor imperfections before proceeding to primers and paint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Yeah, that is certainly very nice work. Thanks for sharing the pictures. That of course is a quasi-replica of a 300S and and a very nice one from what I can see. Our car is an original design that is more of a tribute to the 450S (and of course also the 300S and even the D-Type).

23. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Wil, good seeing you back Sir!

Thanks for updating. Shes comin along just fine ;-)

24. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Man, how'd I miss that update! Lookin' good!

25. DenisB

DenisB Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2007
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Full Name:
    Denis B.
    You sir are truley an Artiste the thought/metalwork/talent are amazing