Hawaii DMV inspection | FerrariChat

Hawaii DMV inspection

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Zarathustra, Mar 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Aloha gentlemen,
    I've heard that Hawaii has some sort of DMV inspection requirements.

What's involved in these inspections and how often are they required?
    Emissions, lights check, putting the car on a lift, does someone have to do a test drive?

Where would you suggest taking a Ferrari for this inspection on the Big Island?

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The inspections are the yearly safety check. An authorized location will take your money and see that the basic functions are all working (electrics, etc) I had similar questions about finding a decent place on Oahu and Sowest had some great recomendations for me. Not sure about the big island. I am jealous that you will be cruising those wide open spaces! You are doing the right thing to search for a recomended location because sometimes they feel that they must take your car for a drive as part of the process.

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

Darryl has covered things pretty well. The safety inspections are about $15.00 and the actual process can vary quite a bit from one inspection station to another. I can't offer any specific recommendations for the Big Island, but I do have a good friend on the Hilo side that does car repair. If you would care to PM me, I could give you his contact info and he should be able to help with some more specific info.

The inspections are pretty simple. They are just trying to make sure that the basic systems work and that the car is not a danger on the road. Emissions are not checked in Hawaii.

4. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I live on the Hilo side and have all my vehicles safety inspected at the 76 gas station next to the KTA supermarket on highway 11. They give the cars a quick test drive around the parking lot to check the brakes and ensure the parking brake grabs. Except for the Ferrari. The inspector is not interested in taking a chance on damaging the car, so he gets in and has me do the driving.

If you live elsewhere, say Kona or Waimea, there certainly exist decent inspection stations so you wouldn't have to drive all the way to Hilo. I just don't know them.

Cheers,
    Mark

5. Saltie

Saltie Karting

Apr 23, 2008
    Silverdale, WA
    Full Name:
    Olin
    I have never had anybody drive any of my cars for the safety inspection. From when I first showed up on the island (Oahu) in September '04. It was kind of a pain in the ass the first time I went through the process with my Mustang GT just because the whole idea was not familiar with me. After I sold the Mustang and bought my Viper, the my Mercedes CL600, my Testarossa, my Lotus and then my BMW. It was all pretty easy after the first. Nobody even asked if they could drive any of my cars. The only thing that seemed kind of off was the fact that I had to get the TR weighed at a certified weigh station because they said it was the first to get registered on the island, even though there are two others that I know of on the island. But, that was for the registration, not the safety inspection. They do not sniff your exhaust, and if you have after market exhaust you're supposed to get a vehicle reconstruction permit, but none of the inspection places know what a Ferrari is supposed to sound like so they won't notice. Good luck and enjoy the Islands!
    -Saltie

6. kppolo

kppolo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    When I had my s2000 inspected the guy asked me for my registration and insurance, glanced at my car out of the shop window. Then he asked me what kind of mileage I got and gave me a sticker, thats it.