Got nailed speeding in my fcar | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Got nailed speeding in my fcar

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bobby355, Jul 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #26 anunakki, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    I obey what I consider stupid laws every day. You may think the laws I consider stupid are important and Im pretty sure some laws you consider important I probably find stupid....Thats the price we pay for a civilized society.

And I dont know about you but I dont use what politicians do as any kind of moral or ethical gauge when I am deciding what is or isnt right for myself. I also dont know about you but Im a free person and I dont have a 'leader'.

PS. I was once pulled over around 140. I am a big boy and knew the risks when I did it. I paid the penalty and didnt try to weasel my way out of it as I think thats the adult thing to do. As Homer Simpson would say ' Weasling out of things is what separates us from the animals, except the weasel'

2. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #27 Neonzapper, Jul 15, 2010
    RECKLESS DRIVING IN VIRGINIA = PERMANENT CRIMINAL RECORD! RECKLESS DRIVING IN VIRGINIA = PERMANENT CRIMINAL RECORD!

In Virginia, what is a routine speeding case in other states, is a permanent CRIMINAL record. If you have a Security Clearance (as many in the DC/MD/VA area have), it is now compromised by this criminal act. It is permanent. It is a "criminal" record, not a "driving" record. It can not be expunged.

Speeding in Virginia is no joke, and the state made Reckless Driving a Criminal offense. Your best bet is to get a known lawyer from the area of the courthouse to represent you and do exactly as he says.

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    bobby, check your PM

4. mikemal7

mikemal7 Rookie

Nov 4, 2009
    You may also want to consider consulting the NMA--national motorists association....they deal with this matter all the time with useful advice and free expert assistance. I'd recommend all car owners to consult this group. Monthly newsletters are great and they also have a website.

Mike

5. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  6. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    If you Google our former Governor, you will see that he and the State Troopers that drive him around have a serious problem obeying the laws that they expect us to follow. (My understanding is that the current one has an even heavier foot)

If Weaseling is good enough for them, it works for me too.

<snip>
    Gov. Jon S. Corzine of New Jersey offered an emotional apology today for setting “a very bad example” when his motorcade was traveling at more than 91 miles, all while not wearing a seat belt. But old habits die hard. As Gov. Corzine and his crew were leaving the hospital, the speeding continued:

No one in the motorcade used emergency lights, as his driver had been doing at the time of the accident. They kept to a pace of about 70 miles per hour, even though the posted limit is 55 on the stretch of Interstate 295 that leads to Drumthwacket, the governor’s official mansion in Princeton, where Mr. Corzine will spend the next stage of his recovery.
    <snip>

7. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry

Well I guess thats the difference between you and I.

8. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
  9. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Are you guilty?

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Look at it in a good side, at least you are ok and no one god hurt.

11. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yes a sampling of 400 people we dont know definitely proves your point.

Im not looking to debate this as I dont see anything to debate. its pretty clear cut to me.

He admitted doing it. He is guilty. he should pay the penalties. I dont think he is a bad guy for speeding...I do think he is a bad guy for trying to get out of the ticket.

Perhaps you dont see the ethical difference...thats why this country is in the mess it is.

12. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    You mean English ;)

John.

13. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    You are aware that he can be jailed for a year, right?
    <snip>
    The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.
    <snip>

Seems kind of harsh to me for going 20 over.
    but, if you want to spend the time I guess it's OK.

14. Hellfrost

Hellfrost Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    Naples, FL
    We all agree that he is guilty, the problem with this is that he will be charged for a criminal offense which most of us find it absolutely disgusting and don't want to stand by.

Also someone said in FL anything above 25mph is reckless driving? I am not so sure about that, i got caught speeding 107 in a 70 area (37mph over) and just got a large speeding ticket with possible license removal for 30 days and 4 points.

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #40 Hawkeye, Jul 15, 2010
    Just hire an attorney. The attorneys play golf with the judges and local prosecutors. It's well organized corruption. The $1500.00 you spend with an attorney will turn into a a $500 campaign contribution for the judges or other state legislators, which in turn buys you access, which means no record, small fine, etc...

16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Oh please....gimme a break.

They arent going to put him in jail.

You guys are a bunch of worrisome old women ;)

Oh and he didnt say he was worried about going to jail...he just wants out and to not get ANY penalty. Thats why I think hes's a ....ah never mind ;)

17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    +1

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #43 Zack, Jul 15, 2010
    annunaki,
    you couldn't be more wrong. People would obey and respect laws if they were fair. Ridiculous fines and overzealous enforcement of speeding and other traffic laws does the following:
    It criminalizes ordinary, law-abiding citizens
    It raises huge sums of money
    It gives insurance companies an excuse to pile on and legally gouge their customers for another pound of flesh
    It creates an eco-system of leeches who profit from it - red-light camera companies, court clerks and "processors", traffic attorneys, judges, town officials, cops, other "professionals", etc.
    It totally screws over ordinary citizens who, despite having done nothing wrong, end up having to pay through the nose, and having to live with the consequences of serious blemishes on their records--for what? Doing 20 over the limit on a clear, empty stretch of road in safe conditions in a nice car that they worked hard to buy in the first place? Crime of the century or what? Give me a friggin' break!

As these people abuse more and more power, they get richer and richer. As they get richer, they take away more of your freedoms and secure their positions and get more and more entrenched. The "system" that you believe in becomes one big corrupt joke. It already has in Virginia. How many cops do you think speed when off-duty? Amazingly, I bet their records are spotless.

If this had anything, anything at all to do with safety, everyone would be with you. It does not, it's simply about money and abuse of power, and the vicious circle that perpetuates both in ever-increasing amounts. I don't think you are aware of exactly much money is at stake here. It's in the hundreds of millions, and there are a lot of soulless thieves out there who will fight tooth and nail to protect their little gravy train.

Sadly, the odds are stacked against him. The best "justice" that he can get is to find an attorney that knows how to work the system or plays golf with the judge. That is hardly justice, and the system is set up to protect those with deeper pockets who can afford the attorneys, etc. He could also get lucky and have the cop not show up in court, but it's a very big gamble with poor odds.

Fight it every step of the way, from getting an attorney to using delaying tactics to finding technical loopholes and tying them up with requests that they are legally bound to comply with. If nothing else, it will make it that bit less lucrative for them to trample all over people.

annunaki,
    you picked the wrong side on this one, I am afraid.

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I don't think so. Even Martha Stewart did her time like a man. The OP broke the law, act like a big boy.

20. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    LOL....I really enjoy reading some of these posts were you guys get so carried away..I am addicted to this chat room....can't stop laughing

21. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    I disagree. If he wasn't egregiously endangering someone he doesn't deserve a Class I misdemeanor charge. Punishment should fit the crime.

22. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You guys dont get it.

If he were unaware of the law I would agree. He wasnt unaware. When you knowingly do the crime you do the time. Simple as that. To knowingly break a law and then whine about it afterwards is about as immature and childish as I can think of.

There are plenty of laws I dont agree with. Because *I* dont agree with them doesnt mean I go out and disregard them...and IF I do disregard them I pay up when I am caught like a big boy.

Now if you want to discuss what is a fair punishment that is an entirely different conversation...

23. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Stop crying and pay the fine!

Man-up sissyboy...think of how many times you DIDN'T get caught.

24. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

No kidding!!!! This is the kinda stuff that makes people think Ferrari drivers are A-holes. I'm starting to agree with them.

25. Will

Will Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    lol