Quattroporte Daily Driver | FerrariChat

Quattroporte Daily Driver

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by blabardi, Jul 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    Anyone here have any experience/advise on the feasibility of using a '07 Quattroporte as a daily driver? I'm between that and a '07 E63 AMG but I'm concerned the Maser will bury me with service costs and reliability. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. autowerks racing

Jul 16, 2008
  3. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    I had a third thought in addition to the Quattroporte or E63 AMG. What about the Audi S6?

4. autowerks racing

Jul 16, 2008
    S6....Being an Audi certified shop I have quite a few come through the doors. I love the S6/S8 for a daily driver in Chicago

5. aschultz19

aschultz19 Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    I have a 2007 QP Duoselect and no issues after 11k... Not a lot of miles but no issues none the less... Trans is quirky unless always driving in manual mode.

My opinion, E63, good, good car but ho Hum in the looks dept.
    Maserati.... What else can ya say.... It just looks that much better.. I mean really, there is NO comparison when pulling up in a Maserati vs the E-class mercedes.

I bought the Maser b/c it does have a 4 year 50k warranty... Mine entered service in 08 so plenty of time left on the warranty......

Tony............

6. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #6 Neonzapper, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    Yeah, that's a tough one! Phew...I've considered a M QP myself. I have a MB, but agree it isn't exotic in the looks dept. It sure is reliable though. Still, a M QP is one beautiful car! Let us know what you decide.

7. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    That's my concern/ I have 2 MB's and they've been very reliable. I agree the Maser is more exciting but as a daily driver those potential reliability issues scare me.

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I'd stay far, far away from the Maser, especially if it has the F1 tranny.

9. aschultz19

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    So what can I expect to go wrong with my trans?? 11k so far and no issues in 2 years... I know I don't drive it that often but it still rides fine and the 4 yr warranty makes me more comfy....
    Tony..............

10. zzzdoc

zzzdoc Rookie

Mar 10, 2007
    I got an 08 QP GT S after six German cars in a row. Only issues after a year and 7000 miles have been two flats. Just returned from Naples FL and forgot how terrible Chicago roads are. Serviced by my independent mechanic with no problems other than he had to send his son to Hinsdale to get the oil and filter. Still in love with the car. No comparison to previous MB and BMW sedans I have owned. Would buy Maserati again.

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The F1 tranny has a trans tube, for lack of a better word. Recently, someone I know had it go bad. It has rubber bushings in the tube that can deteriorate and start falling apart. The tube can't be repaired and cost thousands of dollars to replace! The dealer refused to warranty it!

12. aschultz19

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    Why wouldn't the dealer fix it ubder warranty?? Seems its not an expendable item like wiper blades or brake pads?? I prob wont keep it past 4 years as I will be stepping into a 458 sometime in the near future... I'd keep it but I only have a 3 car garage and the other two spaces are for the wife and 4 kids......

Tony...........

13. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Last time i checked nearly all Ferraris sold in the U.S. recently have the F1 tranny. So will the world of Ferrari all fall apart in 4-5 years? I doubt it.

IMHO

14. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    Still weighing options but to follow up on the F1 trans issue I checked with my Ferrari/Maser mechanic and he confirmed that I should stay far away from the F1 trans.

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    And most of the Ferraris are rear engine. A completely different animal than the Maser!

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The car had been taken to the dealer many times for a problem, while still in warranty. The dealer couldn't find the cause of the problem so a friend of the owners suggested they take the car to Ed's in Palatine to be gone over. Ed immediately found the cause of the problem and fixed it. The owner went back to the dealer looking for some kind of consideration on the part, but the dealer told him no way since it was now out of warranty. I'll repeat, when the problem first occurred the car was still under warranty but the dealer couldn't even figure what was causing the problem, much less resolve it! It took an independent shop to do so.

As I've said before, the dealer isn't always your best resource for service.

17. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    If the F1 pump fails you'll understand why!

18. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    612 Scag, 456GT are front engine. 599 GTB, 575/550 are front engine. California is front engine. 360 Modena, F430, 458 Italia mid-engine. [Enzo]

I wouldn't call that "most" And remember who owned Maserati when the Quattroporte was designed and produced.

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    For a non-Ferrari owner, it looks like you're just blowing smoke trying to save face looking for an argument. Rear-engine, mid-engine are meant as one in the same. Check production numbers of recent Ferraris produced, starting with the 246 GT. How many were front engine V-12s compared to mid-engine cars.

"And remember who owned Maserati when the Quattroporte was designed and produced".
    HUH, I don't understand your point!?!?

20. aschultz19

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    I was a bit skeptical with the F1 option but its what I really wanted. I do hope not to experience the F1 pump issues but for the most part I have been very happy with the car. Just did a 700mile round trip to STL and back without issue. The Maser is meant to be driven as shown by the 4 yr 50k warranty. I do sympathize with the guy who couldn't get the problem diagnosed while still under warranty... With a good relationship with the dealer I bet something could get done....

So overall, Get the maserati, enjoy it for a few years and move on......
    I still love mine and am torn regarding trading it in for the 458 but I simply can't keep the cars the way I would want them too.....

Tony....................

21. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

With due respect, I'm not trying to start an argument. The F1 transmission made it into their [Ferrari] production cars in 1998 starting with the F355. So going back to the 246 is a moot point. And since you know i'm a non F-car owner, you obviously checked out my profile. All cars wanted have one thing in common. mid-engines.

The point i was trying to make is that Ferrari owned Maserati when the Quattroporte was introduced in 2005. Ferrari had built several front engine cars prior to that, including one [575] with the F1.

I was just chiming in on this thread, sorry if you were offended.

Joe

22. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    A few historical notes :)

Orsi owned Maserati when the QP was introduced back in the 60s :p

The fifth generation was intro'd in 2003 at the Frankfurt Auto Show as a 04MY.

Fiat actually owns Maserati now.

23. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Why should I be offended; we're talking about cars! Nothing earth shattering but I appreciate your apology.

And Ferrari.