Mystery Fuel Distributor Hose w/photo | FerrariChat

Mystery Fuel Distributor Hose w/photo

Discussion in '308/328' started by Big Daddy, Sep 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    #1 Big Daddy, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a photo of the bottom of my fuel distributor looking up through the rear right wheel well. The fuel distributor is at 9 o'clock position. The air hose attached to the fuel distributor goes to the fast idle system. Out of the photo it splits in two. One branch goes to the WUR and the other branch goes to the auxiliary air valve. You can also see the hose nipple on the bottom of the air box, at 12 o'clock position.

My question is whether the the fast idle air hose is supposed to be attached to the fuel distributor like it is, or should it go to the air box. And if it is properly connected, what is the nipple on the air box for? Is it for the air pump or EGR, which is removed at this time? Should it be plugged off if it is not being used? Should I install a PCV valve and attach the hose here?

Thanks for all the help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #2 Brian Harper, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    The empty nipple looks like the PCV nipple to me.
    PCV should be on the "unmetered" side of the plate, meaning the side of the plate that is connected to the air filter and the outside world. The biggest problem with leaving this open is that it lets unfiltered air into the engine since it is downstream of the filter.

The fast idle air hose should be on the metered side of the plate, meaning the side of the plate that is connected to the intake and the engine. The bottom of the aluminum housing under the plate makes a big sweeping 90* bend and then goes to the dryer hose and into the intake.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This is correct except one branch goes to the AAV and the other branch goes to the cold start air valve (there is no large air hose associated with the WUR).

I believe this hose fitting should be connected to Hose "B" of the crankcase emission control system as shown in this OM jpeg (but not 100% sure about that as I don't have access to a US 308i-2V SPC):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Do you have a Hose "B", a Separator "D", etc?

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    I do have the separator with all the hoses, except that hose B is gone and the PO installed a small vent filter where hose B should attach to the separator. Sort of like the filter you would put on a valve cover as a breather. Would it be better to run a new hose B to the airbox?

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I would (as I've become a "stock is best" freak in my old age ;)) -- and, if you don't, you need to block that fitting off, as Brian indicated, so unfiltered air + whatever doesn't enter the intake system.

The downside to the stock system is that the "air" (blowby) that is recirculated is mostly depleted of O2, but the downside of what you now have is that the crankcase pressure will be higher so the rings don't seal as well, and you can get more weeping of oil/oil vapors at the various joints/gaskets/lip seals.

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    Okay, I'll make running that hose from the separator to the air box my next project.

Is there a way to test if the separator is workning and not somehow clogged?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I think the most straightforward way is to just remove it so that you can wash/rinse out the inside and inspect it to make sure that the fitting for the small (liquid) drain hose at the bottom isn't blocked by rust/gunk.

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    Thanks for the good tip. I will take care of it this weekend. While it's out I think I'll to ahead and replace the old hoses (which look original) and paint it, just to look nice.

There seems to be two drain hoses, one to the front of the sump and one to the back.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    The small hose "G" off the "backside" going to the gearbox is a vent for the gearbox (on the older 308 this gearbox vent was just left open to atmosphere, but the emission regs got stricter) - note that it connects much higher up on the Separator chamber. The only hose handling (condensed) liquid should be the hose "E" off the bottom of the Separator chamber.

10. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    #10 cmt6891, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    I am replacing all the hoses of the blow by system on my 1984 QV and regarding hose "E" going from the separator to the engine oil - Do I need to drain oil before removing the hose connection at the sump??? Or can I just R & R??

Thanks

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    I'm 99% sure that you can just R&R it (i.e., I believe that the oil level inside the sump does not reach up to where the dipstick tube fitting connects -- otherwise people would've reported leaks there ;)). Alternatively, you could remove the other end of that "E" hose from the Separator (and the loop clamp on the Bell Housing) first and then lower the free end of the hose below the fitting on the engine (so the whole hose is below the fitting outlet) -- if no oil comes out, that would show that the oil level in the sump is below the fitting outlet.

12. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Funny you should mention the dipstick tube....I think I have traced a small leak back to it but not confirmed yet. There is an o-ring there maybe just precautionary rather than a seal?

Thus the question about the "E" tube. I'll remove from the separator and slowly lower it and see. The nipple that it attaches to rises above the sump to we'll see.

13. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    So I removed hose "E" from the separator and lowered it past the other end that attaches to the nipple on the top of the sump and I drained out close to 32 ounces of what I presume is engine oil. Strangely the oil was very dirty with a strong odor of old oil. I change my oil annually and the oil draining fom the sump during the change is transparent and appears as new. The stuff that drained from the hose must have been there forever.

Could it be possible that the oil traveling from the separator, down the hose does'nt really go into the sump but into its own chamber and it need to be flushed?? If not then how could that oil have been so dirty?

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't comment as I don't have the hardware to examine if there is such a cavity/pocket where such a large amount could be retained (but still be open to the crankcase) -- perhaps one of the guys with a presently disassembled engine can comment.