Satellite Radio | FerrariChat

Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by forgeahead, Apr 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I know there was a thread about this. I did a search and could not find it.
    What is the process for activating the included one year subscription to XM?
    It arrives at 8am tomorrow!

2. red360CS

red360CS Karting

Sep 30, 2005
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason
    its activated. you dont have to do anything.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Going to cancel mine this summer, when the contract comes up. Sound quality is
    MUCH LESS THAN 320K MP3.... I'm an audio guy, by profession... tired of the crappy
    sound quality. SO MANY channels have been dropped since the XM/Serius merger...
    voice quality on "talk" sounds worse than Skype. Just don't use it much these days.
    It was built-in to my Mercedes.... but I find myself listening less and less all the time.

So maybe I'm not the one to ask :D

Jedi

4. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    Should be activated during the cars PDI.

If not, go to the satelite/menu/subscription. There will be an audio code and a traffic code along with a contact phone number.

If you have any issues, call your dealer and have them do it. Sirius knows that there is a one year free sub....make them hunt for it if they seem confused.

5. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Do you think it is the radio or the signal transmission? Do you have the stereo upgrade?

Ray

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The engine & exhaust sound track is what it is all about. I only use the radio when on an out of town trip and then it is good enough.

7. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I love that pop changing gears!

8. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

That has stopped, no more free one year!

9. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    really? what's your intel?

10. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Forgeahead, do you have the upgraded stereo in yours?

11. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    yes. my i pod sounds great!

12. jcaroom

jcaroom Rookie

May 11, 2008
    Ark and Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry Caroom
    Mine delivered to the Dealer this morning. Picking it up Monday. As I sit here, I do not remember ordering XM, but would have without question. Is this for real?

13. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It is actually Sirius. Since it is all pre-wired, somebody ought to be able to plug it in to the infotainment system. It was indeed on the option list I was given by my dealer. I initially called Sirius, but one of the non active stations says XM so they told me to call XM, which I did, then they told me no, I needed to call Sirius back! What the heck was the point of the merger? (To be lax with customer service!) I eventually got things straightened out and activated with Sirius. Apparently, the initial subscription is only 3 months (despite an official Ferrari Bulletin indicating one year and the dealer saying one year). Whatever, after wasting one hour of my life on hold with those jokers, I simply gave in and extended it an additional year at my expense. It is glorious thing to listen to metal with the top down!

14. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Forgeahead,

I'm very interested in your impression of the upgraded stereo...

15. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    As has been mentioned here, the sound quality of the satellite transmission is lacking depth.
    Good tracks on my i-pod sound great. I do have a discriminating ear. Nevertheless, I really don't have anything to compare it to so I do not know what the benefit of $5000 is. In my mind, it sounds great and that's that!

16. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Rick, not sure if you have tried your Sat Radio yet but a friend of mine just picked up his Cali and the Sat. Raido goes in and out and the dealer has told him it is a ferrari problem and they are working on it. Have you or any one else experienced this problem? (It does cut in and out going under bridges but this happens in the open road. Thanks.

17. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Mine goes in and out in very specific spots down a very tree canopied road and a few other spots. I took mine in today for the software updates etc and asked them to check it out. My service guy did say it's a problem, but they're not sure if it's Ferrari or the entertainment system maker's - Chrysler, I believe. I have never had a problem with the iPod cx but he said some have had that too.

18. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Now that's interesting, because I had a different experience. Mine worked for 6 months, then one day it went out and told me to subscribe. Like you, I called, spent lots of time on the phone with them - it was their first Ferrari to deal with so there was some excitement on the other end to deal with first - and was told that it had been on trial and never actually activated so they activated it and gave me another full year! It is supposed to be one year. I've been told that a few times by the various people I had to speak with to finally get this done.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hey jennifer, they opened your thread in Owner's Section, sub section "Garage".....but you have to go put a picture in there, to maintain it!

ttyl......

20. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    +1. iPod sounds much better than the sat and doesn't go in and out. I just can't figure out how to make it shuffle? Has anyone figured that out yet? It always starts at the first "A" song and I have to find artist, genre, etc instead of just hitting "shuffle"

21. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Mine does not cut out at all, unless there is a thunderstorm to the south of course. Foreahead, does the upgrade stereo have a large subwoffer someplace? I looked at a number of 430's before deciding on the California and decided the big woofer took up too much space in the cabin so I avoided it.

Just had the oil change, 10,200 miles already, the rest of you eat your hearts out, or drive yours more! They did the one year service as well which included changing brake fluid.

Rick

22. ARED4RE

ARED4RE Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    jenniferq ...check page 43 of your infotainment book for the iPod menu "Random Playback". It shuffles!!

23. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Thank you! Will do. I figured it must do it somehow! Need to read more of the OMs that's for sure!

24. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I always have problems with the concept of hard and soft keys for the same system. Once I'm on the soft keys, I forget that the menu changes for the hard keys. Got it now. Thanks again!

25. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I just noticed the button on the bottom of the rear view mirror. I thought the mirrors were not working too well at night ... helps to turn them on. I have no idea how I missed that in the user manual, guess I need to read it again! Don't tell the other guys in the guy club that I am actually going to read a manual!