550 coolant hose issue? | FerrariChat

550 coolant hose issue?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stan996turbo, Jul 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I just got my 550 yesterday and today while driving I had a coolant hose rupture. Fortunately I was only a mile from home. Can anyone share any similar experiences and tell me what I might expect in repair costs. Otherwise the car is fantastic.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    there was a recall for coolant hoses way back when. though something in teh back of my head said it focused on the clamps, not so much the hoses per se.

bummer.

doody.

3. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    I had a plenum coolant ("plenum" because it resides under the intake plenum) hose start to leak on my 1999 550 around 9K miles. There is signifincant labor involved to replace those hoses......but no more that replacing the starter motor on a Lexus LS400 which also requires the intake manifold to be removed....no kidding.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new car!

4. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    When I bought my 550 from FSF in April, I told them I would only buy it if they replaced the Water Pump and coolant hoses....no problem...my car is running great....

I researched these issues! It paid off*

99 NART Blue in San Diego

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The service bulletin was for the hose clamps. They were the wrong size for the hose and wouldn't clamp it sufficiently to the pipe. The two hoses under the plenum just behind the water pump that were installed on earlier cars were trash. After seeing numerous failures I saw to it that all 550's and 456's still under warranty equipped with the early style were replaced under warranty at the dealer I was at. The early and late style are easy to differentiate. The early hose (big one) has a clamp locating rib on each side of the clamp the late style has a white line on each side of the clamp so the geniuses on the production line know where to put the clamp. The early style lower hose (small one) has a textured surface. Both upper and lower late style hoses have a shiny surface. If you own one of these cars equipped with the early hoses you should not wait another day to change them.

6. jonp

jonp Karting

Jun 24, 2006
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #6 jonp, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    HI folks,

Sorry to re-open but just wanted to double check as have seen folks mention about 3 coolant hoses to change on the 550.

I need to change temp sensor switches, so whilst under there I was going to replace any that have not been done. I know the main large water pipe in the V (item 45) previously has been done and I assume folks are referring to item 50 on this diagram?

But is there another hose that should also be replaced please?

cheers Jon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jonp

jonp Karting

Jun 24, 2006
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
  8. slfan

slfan Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Hello,

When going through the Ricambi electronic parts catalog I see the following two phrases for some parts:

"Valid for GD"
    "Not for GD"

Does somebody know what this means? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Angelo

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Angelo- Guida a destra (GD) means right hand drive (RHD).

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #10 wbklink, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    Hi, mine is a 98 550 w 26k. cost for everything at Auto Gallery a Ferrari dealer here in Calif. about $ 1300. that included Manifold gaskets and all coolant hoses :lower hose,main hose and all return hoses (three small ones under there).
    I think it would be to your benefit to have everything done since it going to be taken apart anyway.

Don't let this bother you IT'S A GREAT CAR !
    take care
    Bill
    (Oh I should add I'm the least mechanically inclined person on this form... but the good guys I think will agree )

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    THANK YOU

I'v always wondered about that trying to come up with a country name that would fit and all I could think of was Greater Denmark :D

12. slfan

slfan Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Terry,

Thank you for the explanation.

Best regards,
    Angelo

13. Steve Miklos

Steve Miklos Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    #13 Steve Miklos, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    Yesterday my early 2000 euro delivery 550 had steam coming from the intake manifold. My temp gauge was 90 C. I lost some coolant but car seems ok. Is it possibly the hose shown above?
    Thanks
    Steve

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Affirmative, but it could be a loose hose clamp, too. If your hoses have not been upgraded to the 575M style, might be advisable to get it done before something major happens. Look for a concentric white circle around the hose in front of the clamp for the 575M hose under the intake manifold. If not there, suspect you need three new hoses.

Search "plenum hoses" for more info.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

15. Steve Miklos

Steve Miklos Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks!
    Steve

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Should be <1K.

MAKE DAMN SURE YOU HAVE ALL THREE HOSES REPLACED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Steve Miklos

Steve Miklos Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    #17 Steve Miklos, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    I have the hose with the white stripe (just the large hose). The clamps look to be second rate not stainless. I was able to tighten them between .5 to 1 turn at the front of the engine. It appears you can remove injectors and plenum without too much difficulty is that the case?
    Thanks again!
    Steve

18. slfan

slfan Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Fellows,

I ordered the three items (#38, 45 & 50) listed sbove from the Ricambi catalog and received two rubber hoses (181599 and 175223) and a small/thin brass tube (pn# 155093). I guess I ordered the wrong item (#38?) in the 550 catalog. Does somebody know the part numbers for the three hoses?

I would greatly appreciate the help since I only have two hoses and wish to do the job right.

Thank you,
    Angelo

19. jonp

jonp Karting

Jun 24, 2006
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    HI Angelo,

Best to check first with the parts folks etc, but I think the item 38 is a little misleading, like yourself I also found this. I think it's actually the pipe that connects onto 38 you need (just shown slightly greyed in the drawing but not a listed part). I think this runs up to the expansion tank - or something like that.

I was told this pipe tends to break up inside and clog up, rather than split externally, as it's cheap and easy to replace when doing the others it makes sense to do.

from what I have heard, using good grade pipe is fine, doesn't need to be the OEM stuff etc...I think folks have used good grade silcone or fuel line pipe of same dimensions etc as an alternate and there's no notable visual difference...unless you went for a bright pink silicone I guess!

Best to check the above with the parts folks or shop etc, just to save time etc

all the best

Jon

20. slfan

slfan Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Jon,

Thank you your post and guidance. I now feel a little bit better that I was not the only one having issues with part # 38.

If anybody knows the part numbers for the hose/line that connects to item #38 in the waterpump page of the 550 Ricambi PArts catalog, the help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Best regards,
    Angel

21. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #21 davehelms, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What visually appears to be the least critical little hose in the engine bay is actually the most important and subjected to the greatest stresses.

Fuel hose hose is unacceptable and std coolant hose will, at best, get you home. Even quality hose that Ferrari used for this application is not up to the task after a few years. It was the first hose we designed and made as it was the single most needed.

22. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    #22 Buxton, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

So if #38 is a brass tube or pipe, isn't the hose attached to this pipe the one you want to change, along with 45 & 50?

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yup.

Those 2 stupid hoses have put more 355s on a flatbed than all other reasons combined.

I replace those with your hose on every 355 we work on.

24. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    What is the item number in the diagram?

25. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I just purchased a Euro Spec 550; waiting for it to arrive. I already know that I want to replace the water pump and hoses "just because". In researching on Ricambi's site, agree that #38 in table 28 is a union pipe and that the hose connected to it (seems to be #47 in table 27 -- http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=322 ) is what should be replaced; as well as perhaps #45 in table 27 and #50 in table 28 ( http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=323 )