German GP: If You Were The FIA....(SPOILER) | Page 9 | FerrariChat

German GP: If You Were The FIA....(SPOILER)

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jul 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Ferrari appears to have violated the team oder rule today, would you

1. Penalize Ferrari for "team orders"

2. No penalty

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    bring on the next race NOW...if only to get the crybabies to stop having a hissy fit for 2 whole seconds. good grief. waaaaah, blah blah blah blah blah...

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    DQ both cars, easy decision for me.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    HAHA! You guys are too much.

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Good decision by Ferrari. Much tougher decisions will have to be done by Red Bull & McLaren later in the season. Massa has qualified and raced incredibly poorly this season and it's no surprise he's in this position.

5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Easy to fix - drivers keep points, Ferrari loose constructor points. Championship race preserved. Move on.

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Quite right. As it happens I think teams should be allowed team orders but if you have a rule then the FIA should penalize those that break it or what's the point? And if a penalty is just a fine then the team will always pay the money and continue with the rule breaking.

Jonathan

7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.

Yep. Ferrari IS NOT BIGGER than F1. But the ruling so far, a Mickey Mouse fine, sure gives them that feeling.

The "loose" ethics displayed here in the rule-breaker's favor, is VERY sad and dishearting.

8. dpardyferrari

dpardyferrari Karting

Aug 7, 2002
    Brunswick Maine
    Full Name:
    Darrell Pardy
    This is a no brainer.
    Disqualify Alonso, move Massa up to first, Vettel up to second and so on.

If someone is faster then let him prove it by racing and passing on track legitimately, not via team orders. It negates the sporting aspect of F1 and takes away from the victory.

9. Astrand

Astrand Rookie

Oct 11, 2006
    #209 Astrand, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
    Hahah I am shocked at the suggestions here. DQ the Team? Alonso? How long have you been watching F1? Racing? Being Ferrari fans.

Remember Fangio not only was allowed to win thanks to his team mates he TOOK OVER his team mate's cars.

If Enzo was still alive he would be screaming over the radio for Massa to move over. I think if you are going to be a Ferrari fan you must at least understand the Enzo way of doing things. The Enzo Character, thats one of the things that makes Ferrari Ferrari.

Now this team orders things are not things of Ferrari only. As many have explained the "No Lewis, Button will not pass you" issue in Turkey, and if someone was paying attention in this very same GP. How is this different than what Red Bull did with its front wing?

At the beginning of the championship Massa ended up in front of Alonso. It was hard for Alonso to pass him even if he was the faster car. No orders but it seemed that Alonso could have done more in that position.

Now Alonso is, even with the win Far behind Lewis for the Championship. Massa is basically out of contention it was a no brainer. Honestly, with the position he was in he didn't needed a hint. I would have moved over, subtle or not I would understand the position the team is in. He was asked to moved he definitely slowed down more on purpose so that people would see his sad puppy face and feel sorry for him. I would just make the situation very clear now, in this championship, at this time YOU are 2nd driver. In 2008 you where First driver, now you are not, that how things are. If you don't like it, lets see how many teams will hire you as first driver.

I for one, am pleased to see that there is some character still in Ferrari, that Italian flair that Enzo had in its day. Ayrton had its character, Lauda had its Character, Prosts, Schumacher. Its like Zidane in the 2006 final, smart? no.

What some people don't understand in Ferrari is that neither Alonso nor Massa have to win the Drivers championship. There is a time to be fast and there is a time to be smart. It was obvious what had to be done.

I am pretty sure that Ferrari will be punished, not doubt about it. There will be more to come, and that is the difference. Ferrari did the straight, no bull approach. Lewis is the FIA/British pet now, they will help him get more points.

Whats different from Hamilton having its character, its not but its kinda different saying "I didnt knew I was not supposed to lie, or pass the safety car, or many other things". Than saying "We told Felipe who was fastest" Simple absolute truth.

I hate all these new Ferrari fanboys that came in the last few years. You root for the Prancing Horse, not for Felipe or Alonso.

Just to add a bit more, its Ferrari and its sponsors the one that pay the drivers as well, they are their employees. If drivers do not like what the team choose then perhaps they should form their own team. And yes none of the drivers in the field have a character as in the old days, perhaps just Schumacher. Hopefully the resurrection of Nuvolari is due soon.

10. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #210 kraftwerk, Jul 26, 2010
    Winning by fair or foul means.

Well from a Ferrari business point of view we know why they did it. One can see that argument, the points difference.

From a sporting fans point of view disgusting, in the sense how it was done and timing, given Massa's a year ago injury.

I'am no big Massa fan put I felt for him.

Its begs the question to me, does this sort of thing sell more Ferrari road cars.

11. sila355

sila355 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 25, 2010
    #211 sila355, Jul 26, 2010

The MM fine is _the maximum fine_ which could be imposed,
    so the 3rd class BS is being taken seriously.

LH is overdosing on LOL's ... Alonso + BS are like M&M's

12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Actually I have been watching F1 quite a long time and know a fair bit of its history. I also know that the rules have changed and that they race according to the current rules. If Ferrari put a 1500BHP turbo engine in their car then they could hardly expect to race it today with the excuse that it used to be legal. Team orders were legal up to 2002 but they aren't now. If they don't abide by the rules they should be punished in an appropriate fashion (as should every other team that transgresses). A fine is irrelevant because any top team will take a fine if it means they can do what they like.

Jonathan

13. Astrand

Astrand Rookie

Oct 11, 2006
    Fair enough, but was there an order? Save Fuel. That is an order. Come in for tires, that is another order. The rule is fairly vague, at least how its been presented (I ignore if there are further articles to it).

As with the regulation, yes it is there, however there is not a range of punishments that come with it. If you break the speed limit on the road you know you will have x amounts of points deducted. So why is a fine enough/not enough what dictates what should be done? Public support. I am not against FIA imposing a fine. My point was that Ferrari did what had to be done, they did what they though was the right decision. What I am shocked about is that suggestions of penalties and DQ came from supposedly Ferrari fans themselves. Pretty shocking, if you do not like what happened yesterday for the good of Ferrari winning WDC and WCC then go to another forum. (I said that in general, not saying you as in you jtremlett :) )

Yes I do agree with you there is a rule in the book. But you really think FIA is stupid as to think the "Lewis, Jenson will not pass you" is not also an order. Fine could be good enough, same thing happened to McLaren in spy gate, it was a fine. What happens now its WSMC issue and they probably end up doing something else.

But me, as a Ferrari fan I do feel the team did the best, and I hope they do it again if the situation merits it.

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    F1 racing has really taken a dump this year

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    +1000

Is F1 really a sport? Some of the rules are so convoluted that you have to cheat to stay within the rules? Now Massa is saying it was his decision to let Fred pass?

A "sport" where the biggest and best liars win smacks of politics not sports. SF and FIA are not gaining any fans with this nonsense. the no team orders rule is such a silly rule that trying to enforce it shows what a mockery the whole thing is. FIA should drop the no team orders rule as it creates many more problems than it solves.

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I would be amazed if any further sanction on Ferrari after this.

Everyone watching knows that the Rob Smedley was giving an instruction, but it was not given as an order merely as information. Unless the FIA has other radio transmissions between the team members that indicate that this was a coded message, they have no direct evidence that Massa did anything other than slow down coming out of that corner of his own volition (or made a mistake). No doubt Ferrari will produce telemetry at the hearing showing that Massa got poor traction out of the corner or some other reason that made him slow.

If they are punished it would also mean they should take away Kimi's 2007 WC as Massa slowed down in Brazil to let him through to give him the points he needed to win the title.

17. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark

18. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    None so blind as they who will not look.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I want a pair of those blinkers some of you lot have on, they must be awesome!

20. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow, legal advice too?!

21. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #221 RP, Jul 26, 2010
    No, its not me that is lost. I fear you have no sense of right and wrong. My opinion of Alonso is totally irrelevant.

If you would read the comments here, and the comments from the other teams, the race stewards, the press, the race fans, most of which obviously do not agree with you, you would understand the point is not that Ferrari won the race. That is a given. They won fairly as a team.

The point is Ferrari violated an FIA rule, and no team, not Ferrari, is above the rules. It does not matter if you agree with the rule, it is, a rule. Period.

Can you try to grasp that concept? Rules??

As I have said before, if the car in front of Alonso was from another team, he likely would never have been able to pass. There was not a sufficient difference in speed prior to the change in positions. If Alonso was that much faster, he could have passed Massa on his own, but, he had to have it handed to him.

The point that you, and thankfully only a minority few others don't want to get, FERRARI VIOLATED THE RULES AND THEY DESERVE TO BE PENALIZED ACCORDINGLY. If that means nothing to you, then you really aren't a true race fan. It is a simple conclusion.

Ferrari made a serious mistake, and hopefully they will pay more than money for that mistake.

22. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Nothing to do with huevos. What Massa thought was that his team would play by the rules, and let him and Alonso race. As it is, the team had to pay $100,000 to give the race to Alonso.

As a matter of fact, Massa is the most "team player" driver on the grid. It is sad his team thinks they are above the rules. I would be quite disillusioned if I were in his shoes.

Ferrari deserves all the s**t they will get from this, hopefully no championships.

23. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    I completely agree with you RP. I am a die hard Ferrari (tifoso) fan but i dont like what happened with them interfering with the drivers "racing." Some people on here want Massa fired. WTF? Why? I guess they have no real concept of what real racing is all about? Lets be real here ok??? Ferrari won 1 and 2. That is great for the team! I agree. But, in the end, they should let the drivers race! Hence the meaning of WDC (DRIVERS Championship)... When Ferrari manipulate the drivers order etc, then, they determine WHO should be the driver world champion and who should not. Anything is possible in F1, and i am sure lots of people can agree with this but what happened this weekend was unacceptable to me (and obviously others).... Let the drivers race it out.. That is their job.. And hopefully they are smart enough not to pull what Red Bull did and take themselves out of the equation completely when dueling it out.. This should be something that is firmly discussed within the team....
    Anyone who believes that Massa was not being a team player is seriously clouded and if you believe that Ferrari should go without penalty, then argue your case with the stewards of the race and potentially the World council...

J

24. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Oh so right on!

25. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    BTW Why dont we just get rid of the radios in the cars. To me that makes a lot of sense. Use pit boards only just like the old days.