A/C problem | FerrariChat

A/C problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, May 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have a 95 355 and I am having a problem with the A/C.---a/c works and blows cold air only out of the defroster vents. I replaced the ecu with a used one that worked before the car was taken apart and it still does same thing. I can't feel the diverter motor making any sound or movement feeling when I turn the switch to different diverter setttings. Is the diverter motor bad or is there a fuse that controlls this motor? The fuse under the footwell is fine, is there another fuse for this system?

2. healeyguy59

healeyguy59 Rookie

Mar 22, 2010
    Millersville, PA
    Full Name:
    Jerry Paulson
    Hi "F355 Bob,

Did you solve this? If so what was it?

I have the same problem

My AC system works in the "defrost" mode only. Whether set to automatic or manual, I can only get either cool or warm air to blow out of the defroster nozzles.

I have tried everything, but the only result is air blowing out of the defrosters, (maybe a little directed to your feet) but I can't get air blowing out of the AC vents to your face. My wife refuses to consider going with me to a Rally planned for early August 2010.

Is this an easy fix, or do I need to rip out the dashboard and perform major surgery?

HELP!

Please help me

3. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Check the big flapper in the box in the trunk. The shaft off the motor that drives it is bad about breaking. I think Ricambi has a better part to replace it. Easy fix hope that's it!

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

5. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

This happened to me a few years ago and it was the ECU--$1600. There is a motor for the flapper but I think it is under the dash not the trunk. I need to check that out and see if it is the problem. The flapper in the trunk I believe controls the flapper for recirclulation of outside air.

6. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Bob, please check this out on the search function covered many times and is likely to be the motor that moves the ball valve.For US cars on drivers side in the boot/trunk do not buy the ferrari part as its way to expensive there is a saab alternate part please either PM me or post for the P/N.
    Dave

7. healeyguy59

healeyguy59 Rookie

Mar 22, 2010
    Millersville, PA
    Full Name:
    Jerry Paulson
    Hi Matkat

Please advise P/N for Saab alternate, also Ricambi exploded view referance

Thanks

8. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I have the same problem with my 98. I pulled the flapper motor off as a temporary fix as it allows the flap to rotate so I can get cold air our of the vents, but I also noticed that the heater control only works with the A/C and will not deliver warm air, so I'm thinking that it may be the ECU.

9. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
  10. 348Tony

348Tony Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2010
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #10 348Tony, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    Your right about the flapper in the trunk...It is only for recirculating outside air. Mine didn't have the flap so my AC wouldn't work to it's highest potential till I got it repaired. But I have the same problem to an extent because I do have some air leaking out the defrost myself...not to the extreme of what I'm reading here, but enough that with the top up, I will sometimes develop a little frost on the windshield. ...that's pretty par for the course on any car with age and not just a Ferrari problem. The air ducts just get old...

11. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Was that the price of the ECU or did that price include instalation, et al. And I suppose the prices have risen since you did your unit.

12. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

That was the price of the ECU. I installed it myself-- takes 15 minutes

13. Longhornlarry

Longhornlarry Rookie

Jan 2, 2015
    Did you ever diagnose your problem? What was the fix. We put an ECU from another F355 car that was working last time the car was driven about a year ago, same results air blowing out to defroster vents. We also replaced the shaft on the diverter motor same results. We finally did what you did, disconnected the diverter motor and manually aligned the ducts to blow to the driver face and footwell. We checked the diverter and it turns the ducts. Something in the car auto aligns the diverter ducts to blow only out of the defroster vents. Also checked the heat on temp control and with that setting blows hot air. I am good to leave it as we now have it but can't figure out what it is that makes the diverter go into a default setting to blow only out of defroster vents!@##$%

longhornlarry