512M performance upgrades | FerrariChat

512M performance upgrades

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 91f40, Aug 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    Are there any performance upgrades that would truly improve the perfomance of a 95 512M? I saw chips made for the 512TR, are there chips made for the M? Do they work? also advantages and disavdvantages of replacing the catalytics with test pipes?

2. martinp

martinp Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Nr Ludlow, Shrops UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Phillips
    Koenig (D) did a lot of work for 512TR/M including chips and I think a turbo fit.

3. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    #3 Ferrari Mackintosh, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
    All the chips for the 512TR also work with the M. The best chips will give you an extra 35 BHP. Advantages of test pipes are increased BHP and louder. Diasadvantages are - too loud in a lot of cases. Koenig will provide your M with a 1000 BHP turbocharged engine conversion all for £50,000 UK POUNDS.

4. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    I have a set of chips for the M and it is the difference between day and night. PM me and I will give you the number of the chips and the manufacturer. The manufacturer claimed 50 hp increase if you had a TUBI currently on the car.

5. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
  6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    You can add Brembo F50 brakes, lighter wheels, Penske shocks which will make it handle much better.

As far as the engine, apart from the chip just insulating the intake tubes over the wheels will give you a few cheap hp

Of course you can do turbos but you have to be careful or you'll blow the trans

7. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    Thanks for your help. Do the test tubes for a TR fit the M? My car has Tubi and its acceptable now, would it be much louder with the test tubes?

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #8 WILLIAM H, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    #9 MannyGMT2, Aug 2, 2010
    I tried a TAP1 chip upgrade on my 512TR and it lost horsepower. I had my car on the dyno, did a test run in stock mode, the car produced a very nice hp and torque curve. (I have x-ost and test pipes)

we then let the car cool down, and removed the 2 ecu's and we installed the upgraded chips. We did two runs, and the car lost about 5 hp, and the hp curve was not smooth at all.

i went back to the stock ECU.

end of my story.

here is a video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XFyRoZdIms

10. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    #10 MannyGMT2, Aug 2, 2010

i am pretty sure the TR test pipes will not fit on 512TR. the TR and 512TR are two completely different exhaust systems.

it will be much louder with the test tubes. but not as loud as x-ost + test pipes. I met another 512TR owner with test pipes and tubi, and he immediately noticed my car was louder.

the x-ost has a more high end rasp at high rpms. its loud... especially when you do drive bys. i love it

i think x-ost also makes a "race" version muffler, which is probably even louder. i would probably get that one if i had to do it over again.

11. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    Im sorry I meant to ask If the 512TR test pipes were the same as the M test pipes, since ther's a set on ebay for a 512tr and they seam like a good deal, but the seller does'nt know if they fit an M.

12. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    Where you able to establish the difference muffler and or test pipes made? What rear wheel horsepower did it finally make?

13. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    #13 Ferrari Mackintosh, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    I experimented with different sports exhausts for a 512TR over a course of 5 years and even designed and built my own system and can tell you for 100% that test pipes for a TR and 512TR will also fit on an M. They are exactly the same for all three cars. Check this with any well known Ferrari exhaust dealer and they will confirm what I say. Also MannyGMT2 is wrong - Early Testarossa exhaust systems have no catalytic converters. Later versions do though (POST 1990 and onwards to 92). On the later versions of the Testarossa the exhaust system is identical to the one a 512TR/M. It is a cat exhaust system only. Any good sports exhaust alone is capable of giving you an extra 10 to 12 BHP. Fitting a pair of test pipes should give you another 20 BHP. The TAP1 performance chip is the cheapest priced chip available on the market at around £500. I'm glad MannyGMT2 came forward to reveal it is crap. If I were him I'd be pretty p1ssed off about it and be demanding a refund. On the other hand if I were you and I wanted a guaranteed power increase performance chip that works, I would be safe and purchase the one that Koenig Specials are selling for your car. These guys are the best in the business. Shame about the price though. H-S ELEKTRONIK do have dyno evidence on their website that their chip does work and does provide a 35 BHP increase.

14. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    #14 91f40, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    Thanks. Do I need to get them straight from H-S in Germany or do they have distributors in the US?

15. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    For local customers we developed a piggyback tuning solution that allows custom tuning.

16. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Do you have any test figures for the ones that you have done ?

17. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    Unfortunately you need to get it direct from H-S in Germany. Importing isn't a problem though. Should arrive with you in 5 days or so. If you have no luck with them there's always Koenig Specials. Their chip will give you a guaranteed 30 BHP increase. I just can't believe the nerve of TAP1 with their Cowboy chip. What a bloody con.

18. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    I should really do a baseline dyno test with only the Tubi, but its time consuming and ive never liked the idea of dynoing a car more than absolutely necessary. I already ordered the cat bypass from ebay. They look nice in the picture and were very cheap at only $260. Im a little skeptical of paying someone $ 2000 for a pair of chips that may be crap. Are there any are there any other options or anyone out there with actual proof they work, besides the manufacturer?

19. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    I personally wouldn't bother fitting a chip. By the time you are finished with all these upgrades your car should hit 60 MPH in 4 seconds (no less) which is still no where as fast as the latest cars i.e. 458 Italia etc. They're just going to get quicker and quicker every couple of years. If I were you I'd just be happy with the exciting experience and look of your 512 with a loud sports exhaust. People everywhere are still going to be turning there heads and staring at it no matter whether you fit the chip or not.

20. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    You are totally right and thanks for your sincere advice. Its funny how everyone enjoys there cars in a different way. Some people like to detail it, park it on the lawn somewhere put a chair next to it and sit there all day, others like to brag about how original there car is and still some want to make there car a rocketship (turbos ect). I realize that this car isnt gonna beat any of the new cars but I like to make my cars perform as good as possible while sacrificing the least amount of comfort and driveability, basically my idea of what I think the factory would've wanted to do, if they didn't have so many reguations. I have about 20 performance cars including a Viper with 1350 rwhp and as most of you know, the fastest car isn't necessarilly the most fun. I think this car would be a little more fun if it had 30 more hp but maybe not for $2000 and definately not if the hp claims are B.S.

21. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Ok, I am looking at my dyno sheets report

this was done on a Mustang Dynamometer for AWD cars (if that makes a difference?). Hp figures on this dyno are REALLY low.

anyway, the final figures were

Unchipped (with X-OST and test pipes) = 326hp Torque = 292ft-lbs
    Chipped (with X-OST and test pipes)= 319hp Torque = 286 ft-lbs

also note, I only ran the car to 7000rpm for the test runs, since previously my car had an engine out and I only drove it about 1000miles before the dyno run.

The chip did flatten out the torque curve a bit, and max HP was also sooner than in stock mode. I will scan the files and put them up so anyone else can give a better interpretation of the results.

22. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada

I did get a refund from Tap1 no questions asked. as for the difference between TR, and 512TR I thought they were different because Ferrari list different part numbers, and I was just looking at my TR vs 512TR parts diagrams, and the systems look different.

23. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    This was because the TR exhaust system you saw on the diagrams was most probably an early (PRE 1990) system which was different to the 512TR exhaust. TR exhausts after 1990 up to 1992 when production on that car ended were exactly the same as the one on the 512TR.

24. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    Carobu has chips for the 512Tr, any experince with those?

25. 91f40

91f40 Karting

Sep 25, 2005
    I had the cat bypass installed on my 512M and it sounds great and runs strong at high rpm. The problem is the R&L bank check engine lights are coming on an off, the car has a little on and miss specially at idle and and has a noticeable stumble while under slow acceleration. I knew there was a chance I could have the check engine light problem but wasnt expecting driveability issues. Any Ideas or solutions.