84 QV master cylinder reservoir question | FerrariChat

84 QV master cylinder reservoir question

Discussion in '308/328' started by pgarossino, Jan 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pgarossino

pgarossino Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    #1 pgarossino, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I am currently having my booster/master rebuilt and decided to clean up the reservoir while I was at it. The back reservoir is easy to clean as the screw cap comes off and one can get in there with a small brush to loosen stuff up and rinse it out with fresh brake fluid. The front reservoir is capped by the fluid indicator cap [see attached image]. My question is [before I find out the hard way] does that cap come off? I gave it a pretty good tug and it didn't budge. It looks like it should come off, but figured I'd ask before I wrecked the thing.

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    No responses........ I guess I'll find out the hard way and let y'all know.

Paul

3. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #3 QV308, Aug 1, 2010
    Paul,

I've come to this thread very late, but as I'm about to tackle the same job on my late '84 QV (RHD), I was wondering how you went with cleaning your brake reservoir?

Your unit certainly looks in better condition and far less 'manky' than mine. I've attached a few pics to illustrate.

I was led to believe that this Benditalia reservoir is nigh on impossible to find nowadays?

Did you end up re-kitting both your booster and master cylinder or did you replace with new units?

QV308

4. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    #4 pgarossino, Aug 1, 2010
    Hi,

I ended up being too afraid to force the front cap off as the more pressure I put on it the more deformed it was becoming with no signs of coming off. So instead I spent a couple of hours, and a can of brake fluid, and simply flushed, and flushed, and flushed and aggitated the flushed some more. I remember putting an air line on the back cap opening and holding a seal with my hand to blow through the unit.........

It eventually came remarkably clean. I did try to source a new reservoir but had no luck. I have attached a pic of the reservoir back on the rebuilt booster /master assembly and ready for install so you can see how it turned out.

The booster I had rebuilt by Ray Cook at Power Brake of Pompano in Florida. He was recommended by Tim Stanford in Ft. Lauderdale who did the PPI on my car when I purchased it. Ray sent the master out to California and had it bored and sleeved as there was quite a bit of pitting on the bottom of the bore due to inactivity and corrosion.

Ray pays a lot of attention to detail. He even saved the Bendix Italia S.p.A. decal from the unit and mailed it back to me. He had the clam shells annodized and they turned out fantastic. Looked brand new as you can see. I have had it back in the car now for 4 months and all is working fine. Great brakes, no leaks, and no annoying hissing sound anymore from the split diaphram in the booster.

Good luck with yours,

Paul

5. myfazzman1

myfazzman1 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    QV 308

I think you are in Australia???

If so, FYI the 308 qv master cylinder reservoir is the same as used on Alfa Romeo 33's from 1984-1991. This model was never sold in the USA but the 75 also had the same one from memory,and that car was sold in the USA.

33'S are fairly common in Oz and you should have no problem sourcing one new even.

I own both a 33 and an oz delivered 308 QV so am sure of this,

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Pete

6. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Paul,

thank you for the update and photo. The booster unit / MC all looks in excellent shape now. Great to hear that it's fully operational. Persevering on the reservoir has paid dividends.

Pete,

Spot on, I am located in Australia. Thank you also for the tip re. the Alfa 33 & 75, I'll chase one down while I'm attending to the MC and booster. There were plenty of 33's sold here.

Cheers

7. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ok its been over 8 years and no one has an answer to how to clean half the master cylinder reservoir?

8. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    MORE SEARCHING FOUND THIS:

cockrill Formula 3 Silver Subscribed

Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    First, I drained and removed the Brake Fluid Reservoir. My car's reservoir has two chambers; one for the brakes and one for the clutch. I believe that the earlier cars have one reservoir for brakes, and a separate reservoir for the clutch.

I used a couple of screwdrivers to remove the blue clutch fluid level sensor. There is a gap (marked in the photo) below the sensor's connector to insert a flat-head screwdriver. Gently pry up to get a small gap between the blue sensor and the reservoir big enough for a second screwdriver. Slowly work around, prying up, to remove the sensor. A second set of hands helps here.

Once the reservoir has been drained, stuff a bunch of old rags/towels around the brake master cylinder, grab either side of the reservoir with your hands, and slowly but firmly pull upwards. The reservoir will pop off of the brake master cylinder. Don't twist. Just pull firmly straight upwards.

After removing the reservoir, I used brake fluid to wash out the black sludge that had built-up on the clutch fluid chamber.
    [​IMG]