Car Trailer HELP! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Car Trailer HELP!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by indaville, Aug 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  2. Lumberman

Lumberman Karting

Jun 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will
    This is 100% accurate! Where your car is placed in the trailer makes ALL the difference and a few inches can change the dynamics of towing vehicle to trailer performance. Unfortunately, trial and error is the only way to adjust this for a better tow. In my experience, I would make adjustments and stop at the next interstate exit to tweak for the sweet spot. Use tape or a Sharpie for reference points on the floor.

3. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Agree. Get the right SUV (and factory tow package) and you'll be fine. I have the mechanical twin to the Expedition (the Navigator) with tow package and when all dialed in, it tows my travel trailer (about 7,000 lbs loaded up) just great.

With respect to weight distribution, it's important not only to get it right inside the trailer but also with respect to the overall setup. Make sure you have an appropriately sized weight distribution hitch as well as sway bar control between the trailer and tow vehicle. I've also read/heard that you want the bias of the weight in the trailer to be forward of the trailer axles.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #29 WCH, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
    OP: I have an '09 Cayenne GTS and tow this aluminum trailer:

http://www.trailex.com/CTE-80180.cfm

I have no trouble towing - either with stability, or steep grades - the 430 Challenge w/ extra set of wheels and some limited gear. Space limitations, rather than tow capacity, are the issue. As you know, the Cayenne has an enormous towing capacity for its size.

I agree with most others here that for serious racing you'd be better off with something like a Suburban + a larger trailer; 24' to me is a great size.

The JimGlo trailer is beautiful, but I'd worry about the low rear overhang being prone to scraping in and out of driveways, parking lot entrances, etc.

5. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for all of the replies! This is much more complicated than I thought. But the more educated I get it is starting to make sense.

Matt

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    luv to c a pic of that

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #32 WCH, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "luv to c a pic of that"

I don't have a pic of the Cayenne hooked up to the trailer, but here are trailer & race car getting ready to go to a race at Watkins Glen.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #33 BT, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
    My personal experience was that towing an enclosed trailer with a marginal tow vehicle was not fun. I had the smallest (16x7) enclosed trailer you would probably ever use for a car, and the mileage drop was unreal. Using a Tundra we got about 8.5 mpg going 75. Using a Honda Odyssey we got around 7.5 mpg going 65 or so. The problem is that you have to stop every 150 miles or less to fill up. I like using an open trailer. Much better gas milage (I get about 19 mpg in the Odyssey towing at 80 mph). Easier to load. Easier to tow. Easy to store. Costs less. Can be used for lots of other miscellaneous tasks (get a pallet of mulch)... I don't think the weight savings is anything substantial with the aluminum ones, but they should last longer if left outside.

I got a custom open trailer for around $2300 to replace my slightly too small previously owned open trailer that I had aout $800 into.

If you get the enclosed one, definitely get the E-track. Also, make sure it has good steel rust protection if it is going to be left outside in storage.

:)
    BT

9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I did not see a post that exactly said this but towability is a function of wheel base(the tow vehicle) - only the wheel base of a full size short bed truck is long enough - any shorter and you will be chasing your tail to get it to tow right - I have been in the rv business for 35 years - also, stick with aluminum - spend the money now and be happy later

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what size ? can u open the car doors ?

12. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The aluminum Trailex in the picture above is perfect for what you described. They are light and low in height so they don't catch a lot of wind. You car is rated for 7000 lbs but if you read the manual that pretty much assumes no one else in the suv or gear and even then it may slow down a lot going up hills. You will pay much more for the Trailex but if you want to tow with your Cayenne thats the only way to go. If your only doing short tows to the closest track then you can get away with a heavier cheaper trailer. My V8 Explorer is also rated for over 7K lbs but anything over 4500 is a strain with a couple people in the truck. Wind resistance is also a big factor on the highway the your manual will downgrade the loading depending on frontal area which is another reason to get the low Trailex.

I wouldn't worry too much about the E track if your only putting the same car in the trailer. You can pretty much set it up one time and forget about it. The E track is more flexable for towing a different car each week.

The biggest mistake I see people make is not having enough tounge weight becuase they are afraid of having too much. When you see someone going down the road and the trailer is using three lanes it's becuase they don't have enough tounge weight and need to more the car forward.

My trick is to get two large guys to stand on the back bumper of the truck and measure from the bottom of the hitch to the ground. Then hook up and pull the car in to the trailer until you get the same measurement and you'll know you have about 400 lbs of tounge weight. If it's a steel trailer you probably will have at least that much without the car.

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what length ramps are needed to get a fcar up ?

the featherlite 18" alum open comes standard with 6 footers.....

14. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello does your trailer have a large opening on the drivers side or are you sliding over to the passenger side to get out. Thanks Norm

15. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    A vehicles tow capacity = weight of trailer and stuff inside. If the trailer, car and gear weigh within 10% of the tow vehicle capacity, expect issues. (i.e bobbing and weaving, hitch-bucking, etc.)

A pickup truck or SUV (as stated before, on a truck chasis) has a transmission and torque converter designed to handle towing. It usually also has auxilary transmission coolers to aid in protecting the tranny. It is a vehicle specifically designed to do this job. A Cayenne is not. Neither is an Infinity, you are running on borrowed time - hate to tell you that, seems like you are having a good experience.

So at this point it really doesn't matter what trailer you get, the part of the puzzle you would be missing is the tow vehicle.

I would recommend a nice 2500 series truck and never look back . (F250, Chevy 2500, Ram 2500)

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    That's what I use. 2007 2500 LT with a 24' Exiss aluminum box.

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Hello does your trailer have a large opening on the drivers side or are you sliding over to the passenger side to get out. Thanks Norm"

Norm - I do have a large opening on both sides - but I always winch the car onto the trailer, so getting in/out of the car while it's in the trailer isn't an issue. Will

18. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Did you actually look into the towing capacity of the Infiniti QX56? Rated at 9000 lbs, comes with optional tow package, tow mode, transmission cooler. It is actually quite versatile and capable. I have 67k miles on QX56 since 2005, of which about 10k miles!!! are towing 20' enclosed Featherlite with race car or similar (across mountains, etc.). It has transmission oil temp gauge and even pulling hard up steep mountain grades it never runs towards the max of the range. By "borrowed time" maybe you were thinking of much higher tow miles?
    Jes

19. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the old qx56 is essentially an armada/titan. haven't met a sole that doesn't like the tow capabilities of the 'triplets'

20. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
  21. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would also recommend the Trailex open 8541, especially if you are only going to track 5-10 times a year. Many guys at Mid Ohio where I track use them and have no issues. They are very easy to use, and only weigh about 980lbs, so you can town with your SUV. Plus, if you get the tire rack and the optional wind screen, you car is very well protected. I've never heard anyone complain about them. Plus, you need to think about how much "work" you are really going to do on the RS. With the centerlocks, it's not that likely that you are going to be changing wheels (but maybe). What else are you going to work on? Some basic tools, air pressure gauge, and jack will fit in your Cayenne, as will chairs and a cooler. There's not a lot more that you need for a DE weekend, IMO given the car that you have.

22. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    I have a trailer on order, I should have it by mid September. Went with an 18 foot mostly aluminum trailer that has been pulled by several Cayenne's. If it doesn't work I will buy a truck. I will post pictures when I get it.

Matt

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    enclosed or open ?

24. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I tie down my gt3 cup and 360 with straps through the wheel spokes. The normal progression from most (me too) is to get an open trailer, which pulls well with a normal size SUV. Next comes a 20-24' enclosed so you can hold your stuff that increases as you progress and don't want crammed into your suv interior. After a while of towing with an suv (which can do it, just struggles a bit; I had a suburban), then you go to a 2500 gas or diesel. I would stick with Featherlite, ATC for the better brands. You'll get most of your money back on them. Trailex enclosed is great for use with an suv, but you can't stand up in them, and storage is limited. For DE an open trailer works great, is light, and easy to tow. For club racing, enclosed is the way to go b/c you'll have a lot more stuff to take along with you.

25. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just committed to buy a used enclosed trailex trailer. Will be towing it w a range rover sport. I will post comments after I pick it up.