Carlo @ Alfa Tacoma or Dealer...? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Carlo @ Alfa Tacoma or Dealer...?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BLAMPEE, Apr 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speed78

Speed78 Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Marysville, WA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Nice Italian Wine or any nice quality wine hits the spot for Carlo.

I haven't read the thread but Carlo broke his foot in his shop, tripped over an extention cord. So has been in a walking boot for over a month. So is not doing what he wants to do because of that. Slowed him down a lot and he does not like that.

He worked on my Yellow 308GTS shift linkage that has not been right for some time. Pulled it out and replaced bushings, cleaned and lubricated everything. Put it back together and was very reasonable. The car drives better than it ever did. Didn't realize how fun it was to drive.

Carlo is an awesome person and the best mechanic out there when it comes to these older cars.

2. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I don't ever drink and therefore know nothing about it.

Can I get some names of some recommended wines and a place to buy it in Portland? Money really isn't too much of a concern. I'm assuming a decent bottle can be had for $300 or less???

I'm sitting on a plane home from Dallas, TX and haven't spoken to Carlo just yet.

h20 & Jedi...if my car isn't done by Monday I will not be able to pick it up until Sept 2. :eek:

I leave Tuesday for Alaska on a 22-day business trip. I am so excited as this is where I will be spending the next year working. :D:D:D

I hope you guys will be around Labor Day weekend. I actually have previously made plans to spend the weekend in Seattle. So, I may just take the train to Tacoma and I'm hoping someone will come get me and take me to Alfa! :)

Anyone know of any hotels downtown (I usually stay at the Alexis) in the vicinity of the Alexis Hotel that has a parking facility that is secure and that I can park my 355 myself? Looking for a nice hotel under $500/night.

Thanks, guys.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Brock... I'll try to keep my schedule open.. just keep us posted. In Seattle,
    the Max is pretty cool (weird cool - lots of rock stars stay there), the Roosevelt,
    and the Westin Towers are good too.

Keep me posted... I'd really like to hook up this time

Jedi

4. BLAMPEE

Will do....I am assuming that he will definitely have it completed by Sept 2nd....

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fingers crossed...

Jedi

6. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Brock, are you having to wait till September 2nd?

7. BLAMPEE

I have called Carlo and left 3 messages this week. He may be the Pope when it comes to fixing the cars...but it is difficult to get ahold of him.

I will try tomorrow but yes, it is looking like Sept 3. :(

I leave for Alaska on Tuesday.

The entire driving season is about over... and that makes me sad. :(

8. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    If you are wanting a fix, I can swing by on the way to C&C next Saturday and give you a lift. :)

9. BLAMPEE

I leave for Alaska Tuesday. :(. Thank you for the offer, though! :)

Well guys, I just talked to Carlo and the news is not good. The injectors were a little dirty and after cleaning and testing them the car is still running lean. Carlo sounds immensely frustrated with the fact that he can't find the problem and that he is so backed up in his work due to the 2 months off for the broken foot.

He told me he hasn't had time to put more than a little time here and there into my car. And, that frustrates me a little. He also said that he is very close to giving up on finding the problem. What the heck am I going to do if he can't find the problem? He has checked EVERYTHING and everything is working perfectly--but the LTFT is still off.

IF, and that is a HUGE "IF", he can't fix it what in the heck could a Ferrari dealer know that Carlo doesn't? The SD isn't going to tell the tech where the problem is.

This isn't going so well and I won't know anything else until September 1, when I return home from my business trip.

:(

10. FerrariJones

FerrariJones Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Seattle
    Just throwing it out there, but wouldn't the dealer have all of the technical information on the vehicle needed to test extensively? Does Carlo have that to help figure these tough ones out? If he does, I guess it's a level playing field...

Hope it comes together for you soon though

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Has anyone confirmed that the car actually DOES HAVE a problem?

...meaning has it been verified with independent test equipment that you really have a "lean condition"? From time to time, sensors do go bad themselves and ECU's do give faulty information indicating that there is a "problem" when there is really not.

In short, your engine may be running fine....but, the sensors / ECU are malfunctioning and "think" there is a problem...

12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    As an example, I have a buddy with a 360 that has a defective fuel level sensor ---- so, the gauge never indicates less than 1/2 full........ doesn't mean he hasn't run out of gas before in the car :)

13. BLAMPEE

Nobody can get it to replicate a lean mix on the short-term fuel trim. DTC P1130 is the LTFT running lean. The car has been tested by two different techs with different equipment. Carlo also states that there a barely noticeable misfire.

Not sure how they could replicate the lean condition if it is only occurring at high rpms, which both techs have surmised that that is the only time it could be running lean. Carlo has put over 300 miles on it driving back and forth to his home and he can't even get the CEL to retrigger.

Once the LTFT is set, does it recycle it's Dara with current data? Or, does it keep it's number average ever since it was new???

I hope that question I asked made sense. I'd like to know the answer. Because if we can reset that LTFT to zero, then we may be able to determine when it is running lean, no?

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Very good points, which is why I replaced all of the terminals associated with the FI, ignition, ECUs and emissions on the TR with the Gold Connector Kit supplied by Dave Helms. All of the sensors are getting pure signals and communications between each other. Once installed I had to readjust the FI because of the better signals from the O2 sensors etc...

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #165 finnerty, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    ...............just saying................if I had a dime for every "problem" I've attempted to track down on Ferrari's that turned out to be nothing more than an electrical glitch giving a "false positive fault", I'd have enough dimes to buy another Ferrari and my hair would be starting to go gray --- which it is :)!

16. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #166 finnerty, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    Brock ---

The most expedient way to get some meaningful information would be to swap ECU's with another M5.2 355 (that doesn't have a current CEL ;)) ---- then see if the problem reappears on the other car, as well as if it persists on yours. Once you've ruled the "brain" in or out of the scenario, the remaining possibilities are few and easily isolated.

Maybe another F-chatter will volunteer? --- if I still had my 355, and if I still lived in Portland, I would have gladly helped you out :)

Also, RTGT may be willing to set you up with a "mule" ECU....

17. BLAMPEE

Craig actually auggested that--but I don't know anyone here well enough to ask them do that. Maybe I'll talk to Carlo about that tomorrow.

Thanks, buddy. :)

18. Island Maser

Island Maser Karting

Oct 6, 2009
    Gig Harbor
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sounds like you are getting it boiled down. Frustrating thing is it take money and time.
    Had a similiar issue with a 350 in a scarab boat and my old 427 Vette. Vette had a miss at high RPM's that no one could fix. Lots of attempt and money thrown at the problem. Lots of guesses and they were all wrong. I strapped a racing magneto under the hood and bungied the hood down for a test ride. Ran like a raped ape with no issues. Lucky for us one day a guy drives into the shop with a 67 Impala with a 427. Free test mule. Swapped
    parts until we found the issue which was a deffective coil that actully passed testing. Cheap part that took almost 2 years to track down. With parts to swap back and forth we
    had it figured out in a couple of hours. I can not tell you how many times I said lets replace the coil and everything to be sure. No it tested fine so there is no need to change it.

19. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    What about putting it on a Dyno and just letting it run?

20. BLAMPEE

Any idea where I could do this? And who would have the know-how of watching it or reading the charts to analyze the data?

I know little about Dynos, let alone where to find one.

21. Speed78

Speed78 Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Marysville, WA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Carburetor Connecton in Kirkland is where the NWRFCA has done our dyno day event. They are very knowledgable and several of us go there to fine tune our Fcars.

http://www.carbconn.com

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is someone who has a setup in Portland, because ATD sent my 365 there to break in the engine. I don't recall the name, though. I would think there must be one in Seattle.

23. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    #173 Jonny Law, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    It would probably require Carlo or one of his techs watching the car run while on the dyno. Think of a Dyno as a treadmill for cars, but instead of running on a rubber mat the drive wheels are on a big drum.

If you do decide to walk this path you should let them know you are not looking to rev the engine as high as it will go to see the max HP, but a constant run at high speed to recreate the hiccup.

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    +1

25. BLAMPEE

#175 BLAMPEE, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    Annnnd, the saga continues....

LTFT is still running lean in one of the banks. He was able to get rid of the barely noticeable misfire, though. One of the plugs had a little corrrosion on it that he was able to clean off. So, no more misfire...

He has swapped everything on the car that could lead to a bad reading to see if the problem replicates--not with new parts, but with another 355's--ECU, MAF sensor, 02 sensors, etc. The bank is still running lean.

So, the work continues. :(

Anyway, Jedi, h20skier, Cav....I am coming up to Seattle for Labor Day weekend whether my 355 is complete or not. I have previously made plans. Probably Friday-Sunday. So, let's hope you guys aren't too busy with your weekend plans to meet up for lunch or something! :)

I guess the good news is that once this is all over I will know that there are NO bad parts anywhere on my car...LoL