Vaccuum Cleaner Recommendations? | FerrariChat

Vaccuum Cleaner Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TexasF355F1, Aug 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What vaccuum cleaners do you recommend?

I'm going to be moving into an apartment and am looking for a good quality vaccuum.

I'm pretty open to price, although I'd like to keep it south of $500. The one must is a HEPA filter and anything additional that helps out allergy sufferers even more.

I'm open to both upright and canister styles. Although I could imagine the canister could become a pain in the ass (maybe?).

From talking to some friends who are also in the market, they've seem to find that both Bissell and Dyson seem to be the top 2 they come across. I'm aware of more "unknown" brands out there that are probably highly rated-under the radar.

Thanks for any help!

2. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    We love our Dyson

3. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I was completely underwhelmed by the Dyson. I have the animal (purple model). I find the attachments are not that convenient, and all the little plastic connectors are starting to break (for instance, where the handle snaps back into the body). For the money they cost, I expected a lot more quality. The machine itself is fine, it is the rest of it that needs some help. The thing is about 5 years old and is already nearing the end of its life, and that's after being into the shop for repairs.

All of this after not even being used that much. The cleaning lady hates it so much, she brings her own vacuum cleaner with her (a Kenmore canister)

4. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's what I think when I look at Dyson's. They just don't seem that well built. And it seems all the attachments are sold separately.

I've always heard the canisters, while more expensive typically, are better overall.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    http://www.pro-team.com/pt/vacuums/default.aspx?style=1&id=100667

Something like this might be a good solution. Especially for an apartment where space is an issue and mobility is good. This is a commercial unit so I would bet the seal is better than a consumer brand HEPA vac. This one also can go ULPA if you want. This brand has a few other backpacks.

Post what you decide

6. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    MIELE. I love my Miele Olympus with Turbo brush.

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Say what you want about the plastic Dyson, but that thing puts my previous to shame. I vacuumed my living room with my old vacuum and then with the Dyson and the results were insane. I literally had a full canister of dog hair and dirt the other vacuum didn't pick up.

Mark

8. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    It doesn't really matter which one you buy.. They all suck...

9. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Miele.

10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That is awesome. I would feel like I'm mowing the lawn with one of those. I bet they're out of my price range.

I'm sure. I'm not tossing the Dyson out, just something I noticed looking at them.

I've heard good things about Miele too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    We still use a HEPA bagless Dirt Devil we bought 10 years ago. It was around $100 and has always worked well on all levels of carpet and bare floors.

In my experience, there's much ado about over-priced vacuum cleaners. We have 2 Golden Retrievers, so hair has always been an issue. No vacuum will completely remove all pet hair from medium-to-thick-pyle carpeting, so we've come up with a pretty good way to do it manually that isn't a lot of work. We also rent a Rug Doctor 3-4 times a year.

13. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    I was given a cheap Eureka from walmart, HEPA w/ 3 filters, bagless canister, and all the other normal options...Works incredible, put Fabreze filters in and while my house was being vacumme'd I could really notice the freshness of the Fabreze filter.

14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The Dyson I have at the shop (DC-11 canister) does a really good job & love that it is bagless, but I'm not a big fan of the Dyson chintzy plastic construction. It is also pretty awkward.

I absolutely love my Sebo C3.1 that I kinda donated to my Mom - better construction & way better ergonomics than the Dyson, works at least as well from a technical standpoint, but it does use bags.

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Still haven't decided, going to probably take a closer look at Sears (they seem to have the largest in store selection). Also probably going with a bagged vaccuum as it's recommended for allergy sufferers. I take shots, but i try to minimize when I can.

16. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I bought a Kirby G5 some 12 years ago, and it has been the best vaccuum we have ever owned, and have zero issues with it! You might be able to find one under $500 now days...

17. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Details, please. Newfie owners need to know these things!

18. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    2nd the Kirby.......If you have carpet, a Kirby eats Dyson's for breakfast!

These things are built like no other, you can get them in a professional vacuum store slightly used for under 500.

19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Well my mom called me Saturday and surprised me saying they bought an Oreck for me. Not sure what one, but I really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help and insight. It was much appreciated.