Why is the 348 so cheap? | FerrariChat

Why is the 348 so cheap?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lightning, Aug 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I've been looking on ebay, and while the 308/328 are nudging £30,000 (308) and £40,000 (328) for the best, the 348 seems to start at just over £20,000.

What's wrong with the Ferrari 348...is it a dud? It certainly looks nice enough to me!

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    the car is not very good but its more the stigma that spoils the car with the idiots that own them and post rubbish then try and change them into something else

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was Ferraris first foray into unibody construction, abandoning the traditional integrity of the race bred tubing frame....

The first cars were notoriously flimsy, and some literally rattled to pieces....however a management shake up occured shortly after introduction and by the end of the series they had improved greatly into a very nice car.

So the trick is to find a pampered example, low miles and take advantage of the situation...

Stay away from those that have been thrashed hard, high miles, or too many hoon adventures down on the sand at the beach.

Any good examples that you know of stevef???

An unsed example of the 348TB Competizione just liquidated from Houston John O'Quinn's estate, it only fetched $70K USD and would have been a heck of a Track Day car and probably could have snuck out onto the public streets with a little imaginative paperwork....maybe some plate swapping....:rolleyes:

308GTBs have a tube frame...I have bounced off large trucks and trees with mine and lived to tell about it!

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Is that the proper use of "hoon"???? :D :D :D

A 348 Challenge car if not trashed, is the last of Ferrari track cars that CAN be licensed for the street.

And the final 348 Serie Speciale is a rare and fine car........

5. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    they're good cars, especially the later models.

A yellow TS/GTS or spider would be the perfect choice

The problem with the 348 is the 355, a prettier car, bags more performance and credibility. So if you can pick up a bargain 355 for say £35K, why would you pay more than £25K for a 348? So whilst the 355 remains an affordable Ferrari, the 348 will always command a £10K less price

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ooooh, Steve... them's fightin' words, partner! :rolleyes: :D

Personally, I'd go for a tb/GTB as first choice, followed next by the ts/GTS. And I wouldn't have a spider. I just feel more secure in an enclosed car. :eek:

It's fine by me that the 355 is driving 348 prices down; that just makes it all the more affordable for me when my time comes. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    So where does the Mondial fit in to this. I'm guessing most would say the 348 is better than the Mondial?

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It depends on your definition of "better". A Ferrari 348 would absolutely spank a Ferrari 250 around the track, but the 250 is far more expensive to purchase second-hand. I wouldn't fret too much about rank order for the various Ferrari models - it only causes animosity and in the end nobody is absolutely correct. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.