Which 400 series to buy? | FerrariChat

Which 400 series to buy?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by [email protected], Aug 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doctp12@aol.com

Nov 4, 2003
    I have owned a 308, Mondiale T and a 360 Stradale, but have been bitten by the 400 series!

Which model and year do you recommend, any possibility of a 6 speed or are they all G.M. Automatics?

Carbs or fuel injected?

Sorry for the very basic question, whiich is the best of the best?

Tom

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Best of the best is a 365 GT4 2+2. Only came as a 5 speed and Enzo had one.

3. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Well seeing how you're solitciting opinions I'll add my two cents worth. My vote is for late 400i or 412i. Plenty of 5 speed manuals out there and I'd wait until you find one. Injected for my money is far less trouble. I don't even want to try balancing six webers. The late 400's weigh in about 900 lbs less than my 412 which comes in at the scales tipping 5060 lb. To be sure the front aspect is not the eye catching image of other Modena models but I think that's part of the charm. Most people don't know what it is until you pass them; then the rear view is unmistakable Ferrari. 400's including 412's are a bargin. You get a lot of car for the money. Hell I wish I had a larger garage...I'd get another one! Good Luck!

4. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hello Tom
    I am biased so iether a 365Gt42+2 or 400GT (manual gearbox and carbueretted)
    Advantages
    No electronics to go wrong
    No 80s styling aditions ie bumper reflectors etc and interior
    carbueretted sound alone worth more than anything else on the road
    All good fun
    Regards
    Alastair

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #5 judge4re, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    There are a lot more threads about problems with FI than there are about carb problems. Another consideration is in most locations that require IM tests 1975 and older are exempt and that limits you to the 365. The final thing is, when you open the hood and see 6 Webers nothing else comes close.

7. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I have an injected car and I vote for the carb car. I have had to spend alot to get this old CIS working, way more than webers. The carbs are common and easy to work on, and of course the sound and power is better. The only advantage CIS has compared to the webers is that they will not cook the gas out and start easier when hot and will work better if the car sits for any length of time. I was also scared of running a cylinder lean and not knowing it with the carb car. But all in all I think I would go with the Webers. If you drive often webers work fine.

8. doctp12@aol.com

Nov 4, 2003
    Thank you all for your imput.

i would love to see photos of your cars!! Send them all!!

Thanks,

Tom

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Ashman has one for sale on Fchat right now...normal nothing to do with him Blah Blah Blah, but if I had the money it wouldn't be for sale anymore.

MB

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    HUH?? Plenty? :rolleyes:
    At last count there were only 36 400i 5-speeds known to be in the US.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hey Dave, how many 365s and how many 400 GTs are there in the US?

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sorrry I don't have a good number for the 365. John (Ashman) probably does. Obviously I can't be "bet my life" 100% positive but I'm pretty confident on the accuracy of these numbers. The figures I have on original (a chevy 350 transplant doesn't count) 5-speed cars that are still on the road are:
    400 - 4
    400i - 36

The 400/400i 5-speed world is a very small world in the US.

13. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    #13 ragtop1, Aug 17, 2010
  14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting, there appears to be a light colored ring around your top dash vents. Can you tell us what that is?

15. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    The dash was recovered & I beleive the new seals below the vents need to be sprayed black. Not sure why it wasn't done during the installation or if they really need to be there. I have nothing to compare it to, but I just checked my 308 & it does not have a seal below the vents. My 400 is at Brettski's currently, getting buttoned up so I can't look closer. Can someone run out in their garage and have a peak for me?

16. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    #16 Ray F, Aug 18, 2010
    I agree with Alistair, there is no comparison with the carburettor cars; I tried an FI car before buying my 1977 400GT and was quite disappointed by its' (relative) lack of urge and excitement. However, the carb car is quick and sounds amazing, like a 1970s F1 car. The carbs are no trouble once you get used to them; I have them set up at service then leave them alone. Sure they go a little out of synch for a bit, but they soon settle down and seem to 'find their own rhythm' - it's the only way I can describe it. After that, they run just fine. Hot starting is not a black an art form - just use the gas pedal: push all the way down and hold (no pumping). I find that some people think that these cars should run like modern V12 and be smooth as silk; they don't. They run a little lumpy until warm and even then are not totally smooth and even. They will pop and bang on overrun, but that is usually the carbs sorting themselves out - I think it adds to the charm - listen to a Daytona or 365GTC/4, they sound just the same. Yes, they are more thirsty than the FI car, but who buys any Fcar with fuel economy in mind?

All in all, the carb engine has proved as much fun as I had hoped.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    When you get the time, what are the latest #'s for series 1 vs. 2?

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    that's a lovely colour on your 400 Ray...is that Blu Ferrari (20 A 185) ?

as for the carbs vs. FI debate...
    i have to eat a little crow here, as i've been surprised and deeply impressed by the performance of 400i that we rebuilt.
    yes, in the cabin you would missed the purr of the carbs...but only if you were use to it, otherwise not.
    as for the admirers that you pass, it's neither here nor there, as the exhaust notes are the same for both and they're awesome.
    where sound is concerned, the most important thing to do with an FI is **** can the OEM center sections in favour of something far less muffled.
    where reliability/consistancy is concerned, the carbs just can't compete with the FI...FI just doesn't change, regardless of weather...carbs do.

and i find that it's actually the FI cars that are the thirstier of the 2...

19. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Aye not too many of us aboot. Nice car Ray. Mine is No 21341 black which is not as nice as the blue of yours uncannily I have the blue carpets everything else looks exactly the same also unfortunately I have lost the blue original leather as per yours undergoing lots of work at the moment and respraying to Grigio ferro which is ok with ferrari as it was offered originally any colour you wanted!
    Regards
    Alastair

20. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I have a 1980 400i Automatic. It is a superb car, it makes a great sound (not as raucous as the carbed cars, but still wonderful) and as GT car (its raison d'etre) is fantastic with the automatic box - on a long cruise you would be in top gear in a manual car. The engine is very flexible and second gear is great for the twisty bits.

Aidan

21. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i too have an automatic (but carbed) and still love it to death after 9 years...

Aiden, sorry that you haven't heard from me...call me re: the part you're after...
    again, sorry.

brett, 705-435-1990

22. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    No problem, Brett. I'll call you tomorrow.

Cheers

Aidan

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Mechanic just finished final assembly of redoing the suspension on my 365, pictures either tonight or tomorrow. Car looks great.

24. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Wow, is that an 'official' stat? I must have seen at least five manual 400's and 412's for sale in last five months. As to FI vs. carb I must demure. I love the FI due to its even fuel distribution and effortless starting. My rosy view might be tained since I haven't had any FI problems thus far. However, it appears many more Fchat members prefer carbs so count me outvoted on that score. I believe Mr. Ashman informed me that approximately 270 manual shift 412's were made out of the 576 production run. As to the 400's I haven't a clue. And how many might have been imported to the good 'ol USA I also claim no knowledge. I would still stand by, if I am allowed, my opinion that these cars (400, 412) are under valued. It appears you can snatch one up for the cost of a new Honda. They're alot of car for a slight purchase price. Hell, the engine alone is worth more than what some 400 series sell for at auction or private sale. Good Luck if you find one you like.

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #25 judge4re, Aug 20, 2010