Monterey Motorsports Reunion | FerrariChat

Monterey Motorsports Reunion

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by teej, Aug 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    #1 teej, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks.
    What's not to like. They're red, loud and Italian. :)

3. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Wow, that 312 must play some nice music!

4. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Thanks teej!

I think your first shot is actually a '59 196S/246S (Dino), not a 1959 TR.

5. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    Hmmm I was going by the program listing. I have paddock pics of is car as well, but with the bonnet on so couldn't see the "red head".

Something to figure out...

6. Cris

Cris Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    Vermont
    #6 Cris, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    Count the carbs...TR59. 0768?

Cris

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Beautiful shots teej. Thanks for sharing; a few non-Ferraris have me drooling, too.

8. superleggera

superleggera Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Dry Heat, AZ
    Correct -- #0768TR Ex-Lovely and then McCaw/McCaw. Fantastic racecar and unfortunately not as well recogized as the earlier pontoon versions. I spent untold hours working on this car many years ago. Once it became just a "vintage racer" -- one of the most bulletproof cars at the shop. Literally change the plugs and put new tires on it every two years. Pete drove it pretty hard too with a lot of miles beneath it in competition. Lots of great memories with it around... glad to see the owners still driving and using it regularly.

9. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Bruce is the shoe...

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Great pictures, thanks for posting!

11. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    My mistake! Is that a Fantuzzi body? I couldn't see the carbs and the similar lines threw me. Thanks for the correction and info!

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Seems like a lot of carnage this weekend. Maybe just a lot of cars in limited space...

13. Sports Car Digest

May 1, 2010
    #13 Sports Car Digest, Aug 16, 2010
  14. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    #14 teej, Aug 21, 2010
    to help counting the carbs... ;) I havent posted paddock pics yet but will shortly, in the Ferrari section at my site. Thanks to all for the comments!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    To those who were there as participants or spectators: How did the weekend compare with the original Earle-organized Monterey Historics?

Jack

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    really no change for the races, but the prehistorics were more restrctive than before.

17. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    considerable changes, ask the drivers

Too many entrants, too little track time, too many per group

Things will need to change to keep folks around

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

Maybe it's time some left. Numerous cars ran this year that you never would have seen in previous years. I welcome the change.

19. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I think many of the entrants might agree with Tom's comments but it was much better for the spectators The area filled with Dan Gurney's cars took space from the pits usually used by Transporters, but I'll take the tradeoff, the pits were better organized and identified for the spectators. Getting in and out while still needing improvment was much, much better Saturday and Sunday nights after the last race I drove from the parking lot to Carmel virtually without stopping.
    There were more food booths, shorter lines in spite of a large crowd,many new things to see. Formula 1 cars were spectacular, a lot of races were close.You could buy a shirt of hat they didn't run out as they usually do, unlike Pebble Beach. I heard rumors of a new path to the Corkscrew,new bridges. Many people attended some of the days before and after the weekend in new events.

20. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    If you were there Sunday and took any good photos or video of Cobra #59, who spun out on the third lap I would appreciate you sending them to me.
    [email protected]
    Steve

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I really enjoyed the Pre-Reunion and the folks I spoke to who drove had a good time, too.

22. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    My pics from being there on the Sunday. I had a great time and thought it was a really well organised event (except for the golf carts for transporting my disabled Father in Law to be, stopping running earlier than we had been advised).

I know this is often the subject of heated debate on these pages and I don't want to restart it but the racing seemed a lot less competitive compared to the historic racing I'm used to in the UK (and Goodwood Revival in particular), but an interesting variety of cars (again for a Brit used to grids full of Jag E types) made up for that.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/365Daytonafan/Monterey#

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    agree w/ srslusso and velocetwo. vast improvements for spectators and new entrants. no need to panic, this event will be around for a long time.
    ed

24. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    I have been attending races at Laguna Seca since the early 60's, and Historics/Reunions for many years. I had conversations with drivers at this year's event.

I think the consensus of opinion is that for a first event, things went pretty well. There were some changes that will need to be addressed, and some "management" personnel were quite overbearing, but all in all, a successful race week.

As a spectator, I appreciated that there were qualifying races in the morning each day and real races in the afternoon. If I were a driver/owner, I might wish that qualifying would be earlier in the week, to allow time to address any problems that occurred in qualifying.

With "lessons learned" this year applied to next year, it should be a great second year.

25. TSOL

TSOL Karting

Sep 27, 2009
    CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    +1 on this. As a spectator it was a great weekend. The F1 race was truly fantastic, as were some of the others like the battle between Canepa in the 917 and Kitchak in the Lola T70.

Less Ferrari's this year however, no GTO's, only one TR, etc - hope they make it back in future years.