'82 GTSi...how to disable the high (cold) idle circuit | FerrariChat

'82 GTSi...how to disable the high (cold) idle circuit

Discussion in '308/328' started by bergxu, Aug 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hey all,

I'm fairly certain that on a QV all you need to do is jumper the wires on one of the temp switches on the expansion tank to disable the high cold idle circuit. Would this also apply to a 2 v/i car? If not, does anyone have the procedure? Not interested in bypassing it, but properly disabling it. My former '82 had it disabled long before I got it and never any issues, I just let it warm for a slightly longer time at +/- 1,000rpm before setting off, and I'd like to be able to do the same with the present car.

Cheers,
    Aaron

2. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Aaron,

There is a thread where Dave M. in Columbus (Dave80GTSi) elaborated on this for me. Use the SEARCH FUNCTION, beeyotch!!!! :D

- T

3. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    What's up T...

Did some searching, didn't come up with any answers. Will try again but you might need to come in as search wingman here....

4. GeorgeDodson

GeorgeDodson Karting

Feb 12, 2008
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Full Name:
    George Dodson
    Yes, jumper the 2 wires that go to the temperature switch on the expansion/filler tank. Use insulated wire and 2 male spade lugs. tie wrap the jumper to the temperature switch so that it doesn't flop around.

5. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    George,

Did you also block off any hoses to the auxiliary air valve? I've had a few folks PM and say they had to do that.

Cheers,
    Aaron

6. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Perhaps this one?:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214546

Note that my website address that I show in one of the links in this old thread has been superceded by this newer one, which contains the same info. The pictures and text concerning this fast idle bit can be located in the first 308 album:

http://ferrari308gtsi.multiply.com/

Cheers - DM

7. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Bingo! Thanks all...

8. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Rather than block the hoses off completely, engage a little finesse and restrict them to achieve a 1200-1500 rpm cold idle.

9. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    an old 1/4" drive socket of appropriate size (i.e. it can't get sucked into the plenum) inserted into the air hose restricts the flow nicely and gives a reasonable cold idle speed.

10. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    For posterity and for future reference use, the specific page on my new website which shows pictures and descriptions of the work that I did on this topic is here:

http://ferrari308gtsi.multiply.com/photos/album/2/1980_Ferrari_308_GTSi_2003_2008#photo=108

Followed by the next two (2) web pages after this one above.

Thanks - DM