Replacement Intake Hose | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Replacement Intake Hose

Discussion in '308/328' started by yelcab, May 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    #26 wolftalk, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    ok, thanks!

noise is most noticeable to me when the exhaust air injection check valves are flapping, and yup, it was louder after I removed the remaining foam years ago...tho I also replaced/cleaned out the crudded up check valves and the rotted T fitting at the same time, so maybe the system wasn't working before that :)

keeping water from running up into the airbox sounds like a good thing, but the earlier cars had a solid plastic intake tube for a long time, so I guess water wasn't an issue.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    No, you are right, water is not really an issue as far as the intake system is concerned but it tends to rot out the foam faster. The fact that all the earlier cars had a plastic tube is another bit of proof to me that the foam was totally a noise thing, added to reduce the intake sound in the passenger compartment. Apparently 328 owners complained about all that noise. I guess they weren't REAL sports car drivers like the 308 guys! :)

The idea of "cold air intakes" was well known by the 40's (if not before) so it is impossible for me to believe that Ferrari suddenly decided in 1989 that foam was needed around the 328's 18" intake tube to reduce intake air temp. IF it was really going to help in that application they would have done it originally.

3. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for sharing your solutions guys. For me I would like the hose to look close to the original one.

I believe a vendor was able to source a material very close the original foam, from my understanding the vendor simply rebuild this hose by reusing all the parts of the hose (2 fitted rings, the wired-mess core) except the foam. The foam came in a sheet and was cut to fit and glued at the ends after it being wrapped around the core.

So the secret ingredient is the foam and the vendor found the foam. For 1500 bucks he charges to rebuild the tube, I can't blame him for not sharing :)

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #29 mike996, Aug 24, 2010
    Here's mine redone with foam and regular duct tape. It's now black and doesn't have the little indentations, etc - I was better at it the second time. But I didn't take a pic of it when I redid it with Gorilla tape, which is black.

[​IMG]

5. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #30 mustardfj40, Aug 24, 2010
    If it's well make with the black Gorilla tape, I guess maybe few people can tell since the exposed part of the tube is about 6" long. Will the tape hold up in hot engine bay?

Thanks!

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Gorilla tape is suppose to be pretty durable but I don't really know how well it will hold up over time. Guess I'll find out. I'm still waiting for some Duracool refrigerant to drain/recharge the ac system and not having the hose there makes it a lot easier to get to the compressor fittings. So I won't put the "gorilla hose" on until after I service the ac.

7. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #32 eulk328, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I used some heavy duty hose from McMaster-Carr which worked just fine and did not cost that much. I like it a lot better than the orange hose I've seen some people use.

Not sure if the hose I used is as flexible as the orange stuff. I "deleted" the right-hand fuel tank on my 328 so there is more room available for routing the hose.

Let me clarify that a bit.... I got rid of the fuel tank to allow better access for inspection, work, fewer fuel leak points etc. and as a result there is also more room for air hose routing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Any progress Roy?

(Also you have PM re foam suppliers re replacing engine bay insulation)

rgds

Iain

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #34 finnerty, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010