348 tb Challenge on eBay | FerrariChat

348 tb Challenge on eBay

Discussion in '348/355' started by 3forty8, Aug 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 3forty8, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That car looks VERY familiar! :D:D

Its beautiful!! Thanks for the link mate. :D:D

3. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Gorgeous!

4. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Maybe Dr. T348's old car? Looks exceptional with the OEM Challenge fog light covers, wheels, exhaust, etc. And a tb as well! I hope the car checks out and I hope somebody here gets it - even rarer than the Euro only GTC!

5. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Outstanding

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yep, I think that is his. :D:D

Its an awesome car!! Always has been and always will be. :D:D

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a good one, should I buy it?????

8. Keith Imbriglio

Keith Imbriglio Karting

Jun 16, 2008
    Western MA USA
    Full Name:
    Keith Imbriglio
  9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Mad if you dont! :eek::eek:

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Heck yeah!! If it's in the shape it appears to be in! I wish I had en extra $52 hangin' around...I'd have a red and a black ;-)

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    It's a beaut! Someone needs to get this thing! Hell the wheels alone are worth a fortune! It prolly does need a more passive exhaust.

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Vehicle had a duplicate title issued.. red flag?

So what's so "challenge" about this car other than the plastic cut outs and challenge wheels?

Kai

13. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the Challenge 348s were regular tb/ts cars with a dealer installed kit. This series of 32 were factory prepared with roll cage and Challenge specific ECU programming among other things.

As a 1994 model, there were only 15 SS cars that year and 32 Challenge cars that made it to the US - everything else was a spider. It's a pretty rare find, whether or not that translates into any extra perceived value for a buyer will be a matter of personal opinion.

This was in fact Dr. T348's car, no idea on the duplicate title but it was owned by one of our own and well maintained/cared for from what I recall of his posts.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Actually, the 32 were preparde at the factory for the Challenge kit, which included the roll cage. There are pretty much SS cars otherwise. The factory race kit was seats, bolt-in cage, fuel and power shut off, Challenge exhaust, harnesses, fire supression and some other bits (tow hitch, etc.). It is very rare to find one that was not raced (and thrashed) in the Challenge series.

15. lxc24

lxc24 Karting

Sep 24, 2004
    Carlisle, PA
    Full Name:
    Lance Cole
    I owned this car before Dr. T348, and it is a good car. He did some nice upgrades, including the Challenge wheels. With regard to the prior post, though, any prospective purchaser should understand that this car WAS raced in the Challenge series, then brought back to street specs (that may be the explanation of the title issue, but I'm speculating as I do not recall any title issues when I owned the car, which was after it had been brought back to street specs). Dr. T348 posted several entries here on the history of the car, so anyone who is interested should be able to find more information about it.

16. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I went today to the dealer to see and drive this car. It looks pretty good from a paint and body perspective. There are a lot of receipts and records on the car. The AC was serviced several times it seems. a 30k kit was purchased at Ricambi and installed by "Eds affordable car service", and there were a few receipts from lake forest motors for smaller things, tire services, etc. Throwout bearing and cam belt was done in 2007.
    I found a leak in the clutch housing under the car. The battery was dead when i got there, but a few minutes on a tender it started right up. Let me say the car sounds SCARY. LOUD and kinda angry actually. The interior has racing belts, seats look more worn than the outside of the car. Some rock chips up front were touched up, noticeably but can pass.
    I drove it, shifted well after a warm up. 2nd gear was stiff at first, then was fine. The car moves well, gets sideways in a hurry on cold tires. They said I could take for a PPI with no problems. Didnt know why the clutch housing was leaking. Was a small puddle of oil/fluid under the car and dripping on the bolts under the housing. Engine looked clean with some paint chipping off the valve covers. If you want a track car, its a scary sounding beast. Ive not heard an exhaust like this one. They guys at the dealership were very nice, brought out all the papers immediately and were knowledgable about the car.
    They want $54,800, the car sold in 2004 for $55,000, so not much depreciation over 5 years and a raced car. They told me it "may have been tracked but werent sure."
    As a side note, they have a very nice looking audi s6 5.2L V10 for 44K. nice car.
    Nd
    Nd

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    That loks like a nice car, and well documented. Definitely not for the run of the mill bottom feeding 348 buyer. Someone will get a great car.

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I have to say I knew it was tracked but not raced. This goes to show you that you really have to do your homework on a Challenge. Last one I saw that was raced was a beater.

19. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I agree that you have to do your homework (applies to all 348s, there is a ton of neglected cars out there). I went as far as tracking down the driver (Neal Heffron) that raced my car and to obtain time sheets from an independent source to confirm the limited extent of the racing and the fact it had not been involved in a "racing" incident. Neal was very straight forward and stated that the drivers at the front were not afraid to trade paint. It was a very aggressive race at the front. This is why there are so few good examples left.

Thankfully, my car never ran at the front and did not even finish on the lead lap :)

20. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Yes, that is my old car. If anyone has questions pm me. It was raced as #57, 3rd place finisher in the '96 series by Carlos DeQuesada. Street car since. I only tracked it twice.

I don't know about the leakage in the trans. I had the triple seals done in '07 and was not leaking when I sold it. Lot's of upgrades and service in '07. The dealer should have all the paper work. There was no issue with the title. I sold it with a clear title in March. Should be legal in all 50 states. Except no cats.

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  22. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    #22 Interian, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Tried to buy the Challenge wheels from him, but he won't budge. Worth a try....