Guess the VIN | FerrariChat

Guess the VIN

Discussion in '308/328' started by speedy, Aug 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ctd/1905505895.html

Check out the picture with the VIN stamps. Frame is stamped with one number and VIN plate has another number, one digit off. I've never seen this before.

Based on the build date of June 84, I'm guessing this would be 50339, different from what this car is registered under..... My old 83 Euro was 44157.

2. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    A lot more strange than just the VIN, the chassis # indicates a Feb 84 build but the paint scheme is 83 having the black winshield frame. There are some mods to the throttle body, that I've never seen. 40339 is not in the QV range at all

hmmmmm make you wonder

Wade

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Obviously, can't really see it clearly in the pictures, but the number stamped on the frame looks like it has been "modified" so to speak. Lot of things don't make sense with all that. As they say, "Run Forest, Run!!!" I wonder what the VIN plate on the window or steering column says?

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    It appears to me that this car is an import. The vin plate clearly states "Imported by:" which is not at all like the vin plate on my '85 GTS QV. I would imagine that the car was imported in 1986, thus the year as it was described.

So, I think the car is a 1984 car imported in 1986 and is indeed 50339.

Now that I have gone back and looked at the photos I see the OTHER oddity - the plate NEXT to the frame stamp also has 40339.

PDG

5. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    Is it possible that the VIN plate is a reproduction with a typo, and whoever made the the importer tag just copied the VIN number from that?

6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    The number you need to go by is the one stamped to the frame, the one on the door is the inport plate that some IDIOT typed the vin wrong, Its not the rivited plate like my state side 308 has that is rivited to the door frame.

So if it was wrong from day one when they imported it and did the paper work its possible that the Vin on the title will have the wrong vin #, I would find out what vin the title has on it.

I see no deception here just someone not paying close enough attention when they typed up that sticker from the importer!

or you could call the cops and get them involved in the car theft ring that coped up this car and they only changed on number in the vin watch out!

7. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    Yeah, but look at the Ferrari serial number plate below the body stamped serial number, it has the wrong serial number too (40339).

The number on the steering column would also be definitive.

8. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    #8 speedy, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a snapshot of the VIN(s) in question for future thread reference.

To me it looks like it was a mistake from the factory. This car was imported and registered under the incorrect VIN (40339) according to the 308QV VIN numbering sequence.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    Agreed. Does that mean there's two 40339's out there? Interesting......

10. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    i think, that problem is easy to solve:

40339 has to be a 308 GTSi
    50339 has to be a 308 GTSi Quattrovalvole

from the pics it seems clear that the car is a QV - so 50339 is the correct vin!

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    that figures, the car is almost exactly what i am looking for. title and vin issues are a pain in the butt. i wonder if the car has its EPA / DOT papers.............. hmmmmmm

12. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Considering it's Ferrari we're talking about, and the lax mid-80's way of doing things, the frame stamping and the number plate below it seem *REALLY* fishy to me. I just find it hard to believe that the factory would make that egregious of an error.

And, considering the seller has it listed as a "1986" model - they don't even know what they have, apparently.

I also concur that the "VIN plate" on the door jam is worthless - added by the importer, no doubt.

I agree with "Fasterisbetter" - "Run, Forest, Run!!!!"

FWIW, YMMV, etc etc etc.

gp

13. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I tried to call the dealership on Saturday morning. Noone answered, so I left a voicemail asking them to return my call so I could ask what the steering column plate had. Noone has bothered to return my call.

PDG

14. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Okay, the number and plates make no sense at all. The ad says it is a 1986. We know there were no 308s built in 1986. The plate on the door frame says it was built on June 13 1984. But the QV registry lists other cars built in '84 as follows:

49461 -- 12/83
    49727 -- 1/84
    50307 -- 2/84
    50399 -- 2/84
    50693 -- 11/84

So, if the numbers in the registry are accurate, this car would have been built some time in February 1984, if indeed the number was 50339. An '84 QV built in Feb. 1984 would make sense with the VIN number 50339. Now, where did the other number plates come from? That is the question.

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What is the VIN# on the steering column?

16. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    Just got off the phone with the dealer. He went to the car and looked at the steering column for me....

So the VIN plate is wrong in the engine bay and it's probably registered under the wrong VIN number (40339) as well.

17. teatime

teatime Rookie

Mar 8, 2009
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Full Name:
    Todd A.
    FWIW

I own VIN 50399, which is a USA model, Feb 84 build. Everything matches on my car. If 50339 is correct, it has to have been made at the same time. Hope it helps, Todd

18. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    VIN 50399 is one of the numbers that I mentioned, and thanks Todd for confirming the Feb. 84 build date. So if the number on the column is 50339, those other plates are wrong, and if the title says 40339, there is a problem somewhere. Before anyone buys this puppy, hopefully the dealer will straighten it all out with DMV. And I would want corrected ID plates, I would think, to avoid future problems. Plus, if it is titled under the wrong number, I would want confirmation that it is legit under its actual number, and not stolen or has a salvage title or something like that.

19. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    p.s. I wonder if the dealer listed it as an '86 because the title is wrong on model year as well. Something else to worry about as a potential buyer, because clearly with VIN 50339, it's an '84, not an '86.

20. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    agree, run away.

21. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    There are too many visual and listed discrepancies to name. Run Forest!

22. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    I disagree. This could be a great car (but not anywhere near the $38k the dealer's asking)--it is a Euro QV after all.

I'd just require the dealer to sort out the serial number issue as a condition of sale (they have more resources/knowledge than an individual buyer).

My 2 cents.

23. zeiglerr

zeiglerr Karting

Oct 23, 2009
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Reid Z.
    If it's really a one owner car, as stated, maybe the owner can shed some light on it. The sticker and pop riveted plate that are wrong were probably added when it was federalized in the US. Might be some bargaining chips to get the price down, but if the title has the "4" number and needs to be changed, the car will be devalued forever because of Carfax listing a title change. X% of potential buyers will always be told "Run Forrest Run". So my 1st priority would be to see if the title matched the stamped chassis number. -Reid

24. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    A true "euro" 308 QV VIN won't be found by Carfax.

25. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    agree, and the plate in the engine compartment should only have been done by Ferrari. its a big deal if it does not match. sometimes you have to get a LEO to verify a VIN on a car like this to get it registered. they usually get upset when they find "typos" like this. could eb nice car if this issue was sorted ut, and the Title is correct and clean , but it aint going to go for $32k.

winter is coming boys, you have not seen the bottom of the price wars yet.

winter will be ugly, and the time to buy if you can wait.