458s on Fire | Page 12 | FerrariChat

458s on Fire

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Andreu Tautou, Jul 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #276 isuk, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    As far as I can tell (and this is speculation) the cars that have burned thus far are all left hand drive. I'm trying to establish exactly what is being vented through the breather pipe but don't have an answer as yet. Could it be as simple as a build up of fumes venting through this area being ignited by a driver casually throwing a still burning cigarette end out the window? That would tie in with the affected cars being left hand drive. I had one of my 18 wheelers set on fire by a carelessly tossed cigarette by the driver on a motorway. The still burning butt end got sucked into the air intake system in one of those million to one chance events and started a catastrophic fire.

The fact that none appear to have caught fire on tracks - where there is a much greater risk of mechanical heat build up - also makes me wonder if the cigarette theory is more than pure conjecture on my part.

2. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Just curious, who pays for the replacement car? Ferrari under warranty or Insurance?

3. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    #278 lung7707, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Only your Insurance - Ferrari will Not pay
    Then it's up to your Insurance company if they
    want to sue Ferrari for product defect

5. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    #280 LouB, Aug 26, 2010
    What did the dealer say why they were doing this? Did he relate this change to the fires or are their lips sealed by the lawyers on the subject.

What "breathes" thru this part?

6. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    I asked the same question... they gave a non-committal "probably". I think they are under gag orders.

7. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Your probably right. Most consumer warrantes cover only material and workmanship not design defects.

8. Jati

Jati Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Florida & NC
    Full Name:
    Joe G.
    #283 Jati, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have read the bulletin/campaign.....

The part replaced is called the DMTL Diagnostic Pump Intake.

I have no idea what the DPI does, or if it somehow draws or exhausts. The name suggests it is a type of intake. I do not like to speculate...But, perhaps the "Intake" is either insufficient by design, or there is a back-flow issue.
    May sound crazy; but I could only see this "intake" / vent being the source of combustion if fuel vapors are flowing out of it, into the wheel well & and a spark being created by something like a stone in the tire tread striking the road surface. Sounds highly improbable at best.
    The black 458 in France shows fire in frontal area of the wheel well where this intake is:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    Primary is the insurance company. You could try Ferrari, too, for any GAP but not sure how Ferrari would handle. I just discussed this in detail with my Farmers agent just yesterday...

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

my guess would be that there is alot of air moving around in that area at a great rate of speed which would take a considerable amount of fuel in order to catch fire... also the swirling air etc would have a cooling effect.

11. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    At least you wont get lost in the dark ...

12. stereotaipei

stereotaipei Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Taiwan + Europe
    when asked if related to the fire risk, my dealer said "yes"

13. lndshrk

lndshrk Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    SLC, Utah
    Full Name:
    Jim Conforti
    DMTL = Diagnosis Module, Tank Leakage.

The "intake" for the DMTL pump is where the DMTL pump takes air, that it then uses to pressurize your fuel system in order to look for fuel and evaporative system leaks.

14. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

If it had to do with FIRE, it wouldn't be a campaign. It would be a recall.

15. Swil

Swil Karting

Jul 21, 2006
    SoCal
    #290 Swil, Aug 26, 2010
    You know they're probably sworn to secrecy until an official release on the matter. So......let the speculation continue. :)

Ventilation, guys. This is all speculation, but seems to make sense (at least to me)...Opening a vent in the back of the FRONT wheel well, helps more air enter the chamber from the front of the car, spooling air from the wheel?? (however-way Ferrari has their car set-up, they obviously know where it should be) possibly flow into the engine bay with more air hence accelerating the exit of internal air in the bay out through the engine exit vents faster thus expelling harmful fumes??. Just like when you cross ventilate a home (opening windows on opposite sides of the house creates a breeze).. Or when you're driving a 4 door car and you open the front window on one corner and the opposite window in the back, and the air flows through smoothly around inside the car cooling you and the passengers better than just putting all the windows down...Just ideas guys.

Based on the pictures of where new vent is, looks like they already had that spot "reserved" to be added anyways in the future. Could that have been a future vent that was planned to be used as an upgrade for the Challenge/Scuderia version of the 458??? To allow more rapid cooing of the engine-bay??? Hmmm looks like they needed to use it NOW. who knows.

16. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    I wonder how driver error contributed to the fire?

17. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    Is that standard or optional equipment?

18. 458Spiderman

458Spiderman Formula Junior

19. Jati

Jati Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Florida & NC
    Full Name:
    Joe G.
    In a previous post I mentioned a somewhat crazy thought that perhaps the DMTL pump intake could back flow & emit fuel vapors and that a stone (or other) in the tire tread may spark on the road surface and ignite present vapors (or fuel).....I now wonder if the rear carbon ceramic brakes could cause a spark/static or generate enough heat to cause combustion?
    I love a good mystery........

J

20. Jati

Jati Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Florida & NC
    Full Name:
    Joe G.
    Or.....Should be a recall.

J

21. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    watch that video...no slant evident in the flames

22. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    Just curious how you know how may fires there have been. 458's can not have it both ways.
    They wanted all the attention and they got it, good and bad it's a legit concern and until it's fixed y'all best get used to it.

23. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

I assume "they" is Ferrari and I assume "y'all" are Ferrari owners or 458 owners? Is there a reason you seem to be gloating about this given you apparently own a Ferrari?