Thanks Jedi! Great afternoon. | FerrariChat

Thanks Jedi! Great afternoon.

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by TacElf, Aug 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As you know, I'm still pretty new to this site. Given this newb-ness, I was totally delighted on my very first day here when a regular amongst you F-chatters (Jedi) offered to give me a ride in his 328 GTS. Well, today was that day and here's my recollection of the "event" for posterity. Jedi and I were to meet at his place @ noon today...

Woke up at 5am this morning: Really, who can sleep in a situation like this. Uh oh: RAIN in Sammamish. So much for the meeting, I thought, awaiting a call from Jedi telling me Tacoma was drenched. I was pretty bummed and started planning my day off with a collection of odds and end chores around the house. To my suprise, that call never came, so around 11am I start driving down south. The further I went the nicer the weather became, almost like this was meant to be.

I swear everyone knew what I was about today and was determined to make me late. Still, passing several people who simply shouldn't have been on the road (driving is a PRIVILEGE folks) and digging myself out of the usual I-5 mess around Fife, I arrived with 5 minutes to spare. The weather was high 60's with broken clouds. Perfect!

So here I am, a perfect stranger walking up to yet another perfect stranger's house to go for a ride in the kind of car I could only dream about – and it is really happening.
    A word about Jedi: Super cool guy – what more can I say? He’s an obvious enthusiast just by looking at the beautiful red 328 in his garage. Totally open and friendly from the get-go, he put up with the usual newb questions which came streaming out of me.

He meets me at the end of his drive and I get into the passenger side with little issue (I’m a 5’ 8”). The first impression is how surprisingly small the 328 actually is. The seats are narrow but not uncomfortable as I settle in. Unlike many cars, I can easily see over the edge of the hood-line. The noise of the engine at idle is somewhat muted – at least as muted as it can be considering its only inches behind my head. Then we move out…

The sound is unlike any I’ve ever heard in an automobile. It’s neither exactly mechanical nor musical, but a hybrid of the two as Jedi opens up the throttle. It’s… Pure unadulterated excitement and we’re just going 40 mph. Wow! That’s the only way to describe it.

Jedi takes me to Alfa of Tacoma to meet Carlo. I’m totally surprised by this, but if I’m going to get one of these I need to have someone I can trust to keep it running. The shop is jam-packed with some of the most exotic cars I’ve ever been in touching distance of (I didn’t touch): There’s a Diablo, a Miura, a Testarossa from Hawaii, and a green 308 QV. Met the man, shook his hand, watched some of his guys working on another 328. After some quick photos, Jedi and I blasted down to Point Defiance for lunch at Anthony’s. The drive there and after lunch was picture perfect.

In closing, I want to thank Jedi for a great afternoon. I’m glad there are folks like you to help me learn about these cars and the culture of ownership/enthusiasm surrounding them. Thanks also to Carlo for letting me peek and poke around the shop during a work day – I know where I’ll bring mine once I get it.

Tac Elf (aka. Jeff)

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #2 Jedi, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    Jeff - the pleasure was ALL MINE! It's always a lot of fun to share stuff like this with
    someone. And thanks for lunch - as I said, it wasn't necessary but appreciated.

You really are F-Chat material - as in the "regular poster" kind :) I do hope you'll stick
    around and get to know the place.... and as I said over lunch, Silver opens you up to
    the real "social life" of F-Chat and there are a bunch of really great folks in there....

It was a lot of fun.... thanks for coming down.

And UBER CONGRATS on your daughter starting school!!!

:)

Jedi

3. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Paid my dues, should show up silver in a couple days.

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's great!! See you soon in Silver....

:)

Jedi

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Another great story. I tell people all the time what a great bunch of owners there are around the Northwest. You guys just keep proving it over and over. Gotta love that.

6. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #6 TacElf, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

:::scanning all the pic backgrounds for a TdF 355::: :(

LoL

See ya next weekend, Jedi. ;)

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It was under a cover in the showroom.... :p

Jedi

9. 430rcks

430rcks F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2009
    West Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ahhh, I live vicariously through posts like these :D

Sounds like you had lots of fun.

And of course, luring the guy into silver :p

Can't wait for my first Fezza ride! :D

10. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    #10 Air_Cooled_Nut, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    Need more pictures of that classic red Lambo in the show room window!

Yeah, good group of folks here in the NW and outside in the other forums.

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #11 Spasso, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    That Espada in the show room has been there a long time. I saw it there a few years ago when I went to look at the red Ghibli parked 20 feet away. I wonder if that is still there as well....languishing.
    As a matter of fact, I think I see the back end of it to the left.

12. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Both cars, according to Carlo, belong to a long-time customer and are essentially
    parts cars for his collector-condition versions. He just stores them in Carlo's show
    room as eye candy and if he ever needs bits from one or the other Carlo has them
    close at hand. If you look closely next time you're there you'll see both cars have
    little bits and pieces missing.

Jedi

13. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    First time I saw that Espada, was when I owned 3 Alfa Romeo's and lived out in Graham. I used to drive to Alfa of Tacoma to get my parts all the time. That Espada was even in the window back then, and that was 1984 and '85!

Mike

14. BLAMPEE

Carlo told me the same thing. :)

Hope my 355 doesn't have to stay there that long!!! LoL

15. BLAMPEE

#15 BLAMPEE, Aug 30, 2010
    I'm going to lunch with Jedi next weekend. I hope he's nice to me!!! :p

16. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :D

Jedi

ps - where are we getting together? PM me if you don't want to post it - the paparazzi
    might see it here :D

17. BLAMPEE

#17 BLAMPEE, Aug 30, 2010
    A. You pick. It's your town. ;)

B. I would prefer somewhere where boobies with babies attached will not be present. :p

Haha!

(PS. Since we are both self-employed I'm sure we can find a way to expense this lunch...lol)

18. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hmmm... Anthony's at Point Defiance is always nice.... right on the water, large
    parking lot for anyone driving an F-Car (I'll be in mine unless it's pouring)....
    Google the name for directions etc. Not far from Carlo's if that helps...

Ok - that rules out 72% of the eateries in Tacoma :D

Jedi

19. BLAMPEE

Damn paparazzi.....

Can't avoid 'em...

Next thing you know we will be seeing spy shots from blampee & Jedi's secret lunch in Silver! LoL :p

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    That Ghibli is a rare 5-speed 4.9 car with power steering and A/C and was very complete when I saw it.
    Although not running at the time a person would be nuts to part it out.

21. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    He will be :)

22. atomic80

atomic80 Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Where it always rain
    Full Name:
    Jason T
    I love moments like these when a F-car owner meets up with someone to give rides! Thanks for sharing your moment, Jeff! I enjoyed reading about it!