Recall on all 458 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Recall on all 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Superquant, Aug 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Has Ferrari had a recall before?

2. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    #52 J. Salmon, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    It says when the car is driven to "high exhaust temperatures," not "driven hard." Typically slow car conditions are the hardest ones to keep the engine bay cool, because you have only fans working for you, no air flow over the car. Oil temp might get hotter on track, but engine bay temp might be hotter sitting at a traffic light.

3. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    Most USA dealers have had no more than 4 delivered year to date, with 36 USA dealers that's less than 150. Most optimistic delivery schedule is 2 a month per dealer from now on, implying annual sales of 864 a year in the USA.

4. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    My dealer is fixing my car now. It's a messy job removing the adhesive without a solvent, basically grinding/sanding it out. A Ferrari replacement kit includes rivets. It's a good day's work. My car will be returned tomorrow. The factory had already fitted the improved breather pipe.

5. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    just made the WSJ today too...

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes, 550 Maranello for example, something to do with the magnesium wheel not exactly perfect (very comforting to know if you're doing 180+ on the autobahn in Germany in your brand new 550, and your dealer calls you and asks if you could just pop down when you have the time because the wheel may fall off :D).

Not the end of the world...

7. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    Whoops ! Underestimate. According to FNA quoted on CNN there is a recall for 303 458's which includes Canada and USA. All built but not necessarily delivered before July 2010

8. Jayturbo

Jayturbo Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Lee
    Yes, I got a call yesterday and took my car this morning and they said the exact same thing and will take about 1 hour to do it so am going to get the car back probably tomorrow night. Kudos F!

9. belfiglio

belfiglio Rookie

Sep 13, 2009
  10. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
    I know of a dealer that has delivered over or just about 7 458's

11. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    I corrected this in a latter post. FNA confirmed 303 deliveries USA and Canada thru July 2010.

12. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This is such a huge deal it is on the News even in Taiwan, in additional to the recall news the news station even showed footage video of various Ferraris caught on fire. My mom even asked me if my Ferrari was safe. Embarrassing...

13. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
  14. dgfhdfgh

dgfhdfgh Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    No problems with actual cars have been reported in (hot during the summer) Greece, with only a couple of news sites mentioning these incidents in passing.

In any case, it looks like a component supplier issue to me as opposed to a design fault; I am sure that the products of the supplier in question are deeply probed at the moment, and possibly not only by Ferrari.

It can happen to the best families as well...

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  16. Hawaiian35

Hawaiian35 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    I don't own a 458, but what happens if your 458 already was caught on fire will they replace the whole car?

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They've already announced "yes".

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Excellent! But I am assuming that means the next person waiting for that red/tan or whatever colour it may be will be pushed back a place etc..etc, while they replace the burnt car? :D:D

Or do they get back in line again? :eek::eek:

Surely it would be a priority to replace the burnt car first? :D:D

19. Hawaiian35

Hawaiian35 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    So if I bought a 458 in California and half the car got burned the dealership will have to tow that back to the dealer and from there what? Junk it?
    I wonder how long will it take for the dealer to give me another brand new 458 with the rivets instead of the adhesive?
    It better not be for months! That's gonna suck! " Oh huh, forget the 458. I want the 599GTO instead. I wonder how much more is the GTO to the 458 price wise?

20. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
  21. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Yes, embarrassing. I have a Cali, but still getting comments on the street about how I really do have the "hottest" car in the neighborhood!

22. TCJ1965

TCJ1965 Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    I am happy to see that Ferrari will replace those damaged by fire. Could you imagine saving for this car, see your dream car in your garage and then watching it combust at the side of the road???? My heart goes out to all those owners who lost one as a result of fire. A good friend of mine has a 308 GTS and Boy! can you feel the heat in the engine bay after a short drive! I always kid him that he could oil up the rear hood and cook hot dogs on it! The 458 is a beautiful car and I am sure Ferrari will work it out. Safe driving everyone!

Cheers!
    Terry Jones
    Ottawa, Canada

"Land of Gilles Villeneuve"

23. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Fox news discussed the recall of the 458 this morning.