Great photograph | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Great photograph

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gilles27, Aug 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    My "film budget" for the Monterey weekend used to be 50 rolls of 35mm 36 exp. and 12 rolls of 2-1/4 24 exp. Film and processing costs were close to $1K for the weekend. (Yikes!)

To me, one of the great values of digital is the ability to experiment and virtually no cost. Often in the past I would try something different and burn 2 or 3 rolls in the process and get maybe 1 or two usable shots.

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

I really didn't mean to insult you, but if you like digital over film, I guess it is personal preference.

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Whoa. I never meant to infer that. See my Kodachrome reference above.
    I shoot digital these days for the convenience. I still have my SLRs and lenses for the serious stuff.
    What I need is a decent scanner and about six months to copy my slide collection.

4. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
    You can pay people to do that. Let me know if you need the name of a good company.

5. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #30 yzee, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's all about the moment and the light. Henri's moment was perfect except for those guys running down the left side. And he was shooting into the sun, which he could not help.

No disrespect to Henry's photo intended.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Ansel Adams did it with a box and some glass plates, now thats Art. Still a very nice picture!

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Neanderthals did it with caves does that make them greater artists?
    ;)
    Its not the medium, its the expression through the medium.

BTW I have the greatest respect for Adams. He not only took some absolutely beautiful stuff that redefined the genre carrying all that heavy stuff miles through the wilderness to do so, but was also a car guy who was a major fixture in the early days at the Pebble Beach Concours.

8. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
    I learned something today on Fchat :) I did not know that about Adams. While we are on the subject what sort of cars was he into?

9. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The tools evolve, and the 'new tools' are always looked down on by the previous generation. 'Twas alway so, and always will be.

Art is in the eye of the beholder, and a beautiful shot, regardless of the equipment, is something to appreciate. The debate is a distraction.

Compose beautiful pictures, and share them. I don't care what you shot them with. Talent can create beauty with an iPhone and an idiot can waste film or bits with great equipment.

I love photography, and always find these debates a bit disappointing.

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    +1, totally agree.
    How do we know that Paul-Henri Cahier didn't make adjustments on his camera to counter act the light at the time?. In doing this, is the picture a true image of what he was actually looking at?.
    Surely the photographic image produced is only as good as the printing process used to make the photograph?. How do we know that the colours seen are true to real life?. The camera doesn't set that, the printing process does and all manner of adjustments during the printing process have been possible for decades!.

As for:
    The camera is just a tool that a photographer uses. If you had the opportunity to show the greatest photographers of all time a digital camera, I suspect they would all marvel at it and what it can do and want to use it. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of professional photographers make full use of digital SLR camera's these days, it's called progress.

Based on what's being said in this thread, the only real photographers must be those still using glass plates who are asking their subjects to remain still for minutes at a time!.

11. tiggs

tiggs Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Sure thats a T78? Doesn't look like one to me as the nose profile, sidepods, rear wing placement as a couple reference points match up to a T77 instead. For example, the T78 had elongated sidepods with some partial ground effects and the T77, like in your picture, doesn't have them.

12. Bullitt44

Bullitt44 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Westlake, OH
    Full Name:
    Jon Sabo
    That photo is worth more than a 1000 words!

Thank for sharing!

13. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
    No I am not sure, you may well be correct.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #39 Gilles27, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You're right. Lotus 77 & 78 respectively: