308 Cooling system question/problem | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308 Cooling system question/problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by seschroeder, Jun 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those are ducted fans. The original fans just had blades turning out in the air. Not as efficient.

The radiator sounds like a good idea. I don't know how much but you can get a really good one custom made for a decent price. I am having one made for a job now.

Nix the ignition system.

2. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    160 degrees at the thermostat housing.

3. drunkenmaster16x1

drunkenmaster16x1 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2005
    D/FW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Mine is still overheating-

I changed the 25yr old thermostat with a savara.
    Bleed the cooling system many times.
    Temp sensor broke-I hot wired the radiator fans so they are always on-will buy new one soon.
    Changed oil twice already.

It will max out the oil temp every time after only about ten minutes of standard driving; oil pressure low and water pressure at normal. Spits out the steam from below first...then the engine gets hot and smoke comes out of the engine bay.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If it was better before you changed the thermostat then my guess is defective thermostat. I test them in a pan of hot water before I instal them. Suspend it with a wire or something and use a candy thermometer available from any cooking store (I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond) make sure it opens and closes at the correct temperature. If it is not a bad thermostat, then is it the correct thermostat, and is it installed correctly?

5. drunkenmaster16x1

Oct 30, 2005
    D/FW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Will do so-much appreciated!

6. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    LOL ......... Q. why do the English drink warm beer ?

A. Because Lucas power their fridges !

7. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    Mine ran hot, about 195, all the time .... re-cored the radiator and it came down maybe 5 degrees ..... put a new set of injectors and seals in and it runs at about 165 - 170 consistiently now.

Remember, aside from the components that take the heat away there is something generating heat too. If the source of heat is to large no matter how well the cooling system is it will not cope.

8. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That is interesting. Can you say for sure it was the injectors, in other words you didn't do something else at the same time that might have had an effect on the temperature. Like adjust the timing or anything along those lines?

9. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    Just injectors and the injector seals --- ABSOLUTELY nothing else , I changed the injectors & seals and noticed the change .... I intentinally did nothing else for months. I have not even touched spark plugs , , Nothing !
    The change has been consistient.

I believe most cooling system problems will be cooling system related ........ but when all avenues to do with the cooling system have been exhausted it must be time to look at what is causing so much heat in the first place.

10. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I got new injectors last year and there was no noticeable change in engine temperatures. On the subject of heat sources I have considered removing the catalytic converters as they are an intense source of heat. Any opinions on that? From the perspective of engine cooling, I am not looking to boost performance and I don't need a dissertation on the environmental impact.

11. drunkenmaster16x1

Oct 30, 2005
    D/FW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    The thermostat was fine-it was sending hot water to the radiator....but the radiator was sending the hot water back.

I removed the radiator and will have it re-cored tomorrow.

Thank all for such great info!

12. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    No lectures from me on cats. My car is Euro spec , no cats , no pollution gear. Cats are fine if the engine is fed the right mixture always , , from what I understand if the car runs real rich for a short period they are useless from that day on.
    It would be interesting if it were possible to accurately record considerable periods of engine temp ( like a dyno read-out ) and then remove the cats and make a similar recording to see just how much more heat the cooling system had to cope with.

As I mentioned with my car I replaced the injectors and the seals supporting the injectors ...... the seals on my car were really dead , , I believe some air may have been leaking in around the injectors affecting the fuel - air mixture and therefore how hot the car ran.