275 GTC | FerrariChat

275 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Furanku, Sep 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Dear Ferrari chaters.

This is my first post on this forum, so let me introduce myself before coming to the subject I would like to discuss today. I'm French, I do not own a Ferrari but I love this brand since I was 10 (I'm now in my early thirties). Well, that's probably all you need/want to know.

This post is about 275 GTC. I'm not talking about 275 GTB/C, which were clearly competition models, but about GTC, which are supposed to be client competition models. Since I have seen that some very well informed people are participating and sharing their knowledge on this forum, I wanted to ask you all if you have any information on this little known model.

Let me share what I know about it. Recently, a car with 275 GTC inscription was on sale in California. S/N was 08457. Seller claimed it was one of the two GTC produced, and that those cars were different from the other 275 GTB (3rd series, long nose), and that they had a different chassis and engine (4 bolt main engine, like on 250TR). This car, 04857, was raced in the 60's, and its history is quite clear.

Now my main question is: does anyone know if there are only 2 GTC marked cars? And if it's the case, do you have any information on the second car? As it happens, one of my good friends owns another 275 GTC. I have seen the marking, it's definitely "GTC", just as on 08457, and my friend's car's serial number is close enough to 08457 to make sense (sorry, he doesn't want me to share with you the details on his car... but if anyone is interrested, we'll find a way to contact privately). My friend is trying to gather information on his car's history, he's been the owner since 1976, but he's not sure the car ever raced or not.

This is probably why Ferrari's History is so fun, there are always new things to discover, and 275GTC is probably one of them for many of you!

Please continue to be passionate about those wonderful machines, and I hope to discuss with you very soon.

2. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Welcome to Fchat, and congratulations for your evident passion and interest.

I believe there has never been any Ferrari model with the denomination "275 GTC". If I am wrong, you have discovered something important!

Cheers,

Julio

3. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    #3 Furanku, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    Dear Julio,

Here is a link to 08457: http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/15827/index.html?no_cache=1&ret=20&request%5Bfilter%5D%5Boffset%5D=0&request%5Bfilter%5D%5Browcount%5D=6&request%5Bfilter%5D%5Border%5D=tstamp&request%5Bfilter%5D%5Bdesc%5D=desc&request%5Bfilter%5D%5Bdealer%5D=216

You will find many informations on this car. There are no pictures of the stamping, but I have some (I contacted the seller who kindly sent it to me), and it's exactly the same as my friend's: 275GTC. Please note that the maker's plate is marked 275GTB, not GTC.

I found another site about this car: http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/chassisNum.aspx?carID=8789&iDNumID=91

In this site, it's writen: "This is the only known example of a 275 GTC 'Corsa.'" Well, that's not true since there is at least another one which according to its S/N, was built just after (there are no 275 in the S/N between 0457 and my friend's car).

Anyway, I'm glad if people learned something thanks to my post!

4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  5. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I always knew these as 275 GTB/C.

7. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #7 Julio Batista, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    Dear Furanku,

Thank you for the links. My humble opinion is that the sites are misleading, and that the denomination "275 GTC" is a commercial gimmick.

Again, I might be wrong. In a few hours this thread will be full of posts written by people infinitely more knowledgeable than I am, and we will have the answer.

In the meantime, all registries that I have consulted designate 8457 as a 275 GTB, no reference book in my library mentions a 275 GTC, none of the pictures on the sites you gave me show a "275 GTC" script anywhere (build sheet, body, documentation, number plates), and in 40 years of passion (I am 50) I have never heard of a 275 GTC. I believe that the correct designation of this car is 275 GTB/C.

Again, I might be wrong, and we shall soon know!

Cheers,

Julio

8. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Sixcarb: as you can see on the page, 08457 is described as 275GTB, when it's actually stamped 275GTC. My friend's car is on the page (now you should know what the S/N is, but please don't make me actually write it! ;-) ), and equally wrongly described as 275GTB.

Simon: Yes, this is this car.

Amenasce: which cars are you talking about exactly? GTB/C are all alloy, when GTC are steel bodies. There are many other differences between GTB/C and GTC, like the fact that GTC are not dry sump.

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Would it be possible to see a picture of the stamp?

10. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Dear Julio,

I just watched a picture I received from the seller. I would post it her, but I'm not 100% it's OK to do it, so I won't. Anyway, it's the chassis stamping, and it reads:
    FERRARI 275 GTC *08457*

My friend's car is stamped exactly in the same way. Until recently, my friend thought it was a simple mistake. It's when he had the engine ovehauled, that the mecanic told him it was not an ordinary 275 engine. After searching on the net, we found the information I posted the link above, indicating there was another car marked in the same way, and which had the same mechanic specificities.

Once again, GTC seem to be much closer to GTB specs than to GTB/C specs. But i would be interrested to know which cars people are talking about when saying they thought they were GTB/C (wow, that's a complicated sentence...)

I just saw your last post, i'll send you the picture by private message!

11. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  12. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Exactly. Point is, what should we call the car? Since it's stamped 275 GTC, should we call it this way, or still call it 275 GTB? I did some quick research, and found at least one 275GTB/C stamped 275 GTB, and I think I've seen others with 275 GTB/C stamped on the chassis (well, there are different series, that may explain the difference...).

In other words: I'm lost :)

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I have a 250 GT PF Series I. It has has a competition LM engine block.
    That's great, but it's still a 250 GT PF...

... Unless some jerk transforms it into a 250 GT TdF...;)

14. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I agree (especially on the "jerk" part ;) ), but what's interresting here is that Ferrari deliberatley decided to stamp those (at least) 2 cars differently. My friend also told me chassis was not identical to "normal" 275 GTB, but I don't know in which way.

15. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    What does the build sheets say?

16. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    #16 Brian Elliston, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's the car 8457, I got to take a ride in it about a month ago.. Super awesome.

Car is owned by Mark Ketchum and anyone can view more photos at his website, www.ketchumimports.com

Car is also currently for sale and won it's class at the quail this year.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I wish I knew... My friend is trying to get his car's build sheet, but he got only two proposals, one for 10KEuros, the other for 20KEuros... If anyone knows a way (other than going to Classiche...), we would be interrested! I thought that some time ago you could download it from Ferrari.com by entering your S/N, was it my imagination?

18. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Brian, if you had the opportunity to drive "normal" 275 GTB, did you feel a difference driving this GTC?

19. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Raabs book lists 8457 as a standard 275 GTB.
    The GTC stamp is probably a mistake

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Some time ago" it was not your imagination....since Classiche, it is.....

They never gave you the "Build Sheet" however, they confimred components as original with a Heritage Certificate.

Lots of Fchatters got one before it was discontinued.......now they only confirm Build Date at OEM colors in the My Garage section of the website.

21. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I'm really not sure about that. They built at least 2 consecutive cars with the same special features, one of them actually having been raced, I think it would make sense to name it GTC, since GTB/C was already used for more extreme versions. What would be interresting would be to know if 275 built just before 08457 and just after my friend's car are GTC or GTB. 08451 is steel with 3 carbs, so it's still possible. 08471 is steel, but 6 cab, so it's already a different configuration. The last element I think can be taken into consideration is that information saying there were 2 GTC built does exist on the net, wether it is true or not, somebody believed that even before I confirmed my friend's car's existence.

22. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Thanks for the info. My friend would have loved to have this information. His car was bought in 1976, and was probably never raced (he found no trace of accident whatsoever when he totally restored it in year 2000), so all parts are probably matching, but it would be better to know anyway! And if he brings it to Classiche, well... it's gonna cost him a lot of money even though he's not wanting to sell it! ;-)

23. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Interesting that all the adds fail to list our company as the owner of 08457 on the two separate occasions we owned it. I am unable to post photos but can confirm that this "oddity" 275 GTB was stamped and documented as such by Ferrari's records as a "275 GTC" on the frame.

The stamping of "275 GTC" was not a mistake but done on purpose to distinguish the car separate from the road models when entered in "GT" class races circa 1967.

There were two such cars completed for privateers. During our second ownership of the car, Ferrari confirmed additional details as well as the 2nd example's chassis number which they also formally recorded as having been scrapped and parted out after a road accident in 1969. Only the engine of that car survives as far as I know and it can be found today in another Ferrari here in the States. As of January of this year, the elderly owner of that car was unaware that the engine in his car started out life in another Ferrari.

Don't ask for further details on that one as I am of course keenly interested at some point when he is done in purchasing it for resale!

Busy with many, many other things but thought it important enough to take the time and share this with those interested.

Cheers,

Bill

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The alloy 275GTB/C I have seen in Phoenix,AZ was a six carb set up.....

25. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Bill,
    very helpful information as always, thank you.
    It`s a pleasure to follows thread like this.
    Regards, Till.