Car Trailer HELP! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Car Trailer HELP!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by indaville, Aug 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Forgot to add that most of the standard ramp door only will be too steep for the RS. You won't need a "custom" trailer, but rather you can use boards, or ramp extensions. I have the featherlite ones; they are 6' and fold up against the door. You can see them on their website. They worked great for my old 993 RS clone. For the cup car I have to put boards under the ramps.

Check out a PCA, Chin, etc DE and you will see all kinds of trailers and can talk to people to see what they do and don't like. That's what I did and it helped a lot in finding which worked best for me.

2. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    #52 Challengehauler, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    If the ramps or gate is too steep for the trailered car, put boards under the rear wheels of the tow vehicle and drive up onto them - set the brake. Also the ramp extensions as mentioned above.

I have seen people use the tongue jack to bring down the trailer pitch while still connected to the tow vehicle. I have also seen people do that without the trailer being hooked up the the tow vehicle. Needless to say neither way is correct or safe.

As far as the Range Rovers, QX's, Cayennes as tow vehicles.....do what you think is safe and keep out of that 10%

Also to add, make sure you invest in trailer brakes or order your trailer with them. The service brakes on the tow vehicle can only take so much.

3. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1 completely agree. For the OP, he is taking his new RS to the track. He is undoubtedly doing DEs which is why I recommend an open trailer.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    anyone know the deal with a cable vs nylon rope for the winch ?

5. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
  6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    anyone have a good winch suggestion..... (no i dont want one from HF)

looking at the superwinch s4000

7. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i bought a superwinch s5000 was 30 bucks more that the 4000.

8. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    #58 Stackhouse, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Now we are talking - nice truck! I would consider a stacker (cars on top of each other), but I don't recall seeing them as a goose neck, though I don't see why not...
    Jes

10. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    PM sent on a lead.

11. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Thank you!

I like the idea of a "Stacker". I will check those out!

Cheers

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think people need to pay mor attention to the tow vehicle than the trailer. You need something that hauls really well and not hauling at the limit of the tow capacity. It needs to track easy so you can chew your burger and drive one handed...come on you all do it! It needs to be really comfortable because after a long day on the hot track your body is just plain beat and a killer awesome A/C, quiet interior, and giant cupholders make the journey alot better.

13. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Nice SportChassis, does it have the upgraded Mercedes engine?

14. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Anyone have any suggestions as far as where to store the trailer when it is not in use? I live in a neighborhood so keeping on the driveway is out of the question.

Matt

15. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #65 SMS, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    Look up "boat storage"

Most of those winter barns and lots take trailers too. Like this place in Louisville. (No knowledge of these guys, just found them on the web)
    http://www.storagesolutionsky.net/

16. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Check out RV storage facilities and self storage locations.

17. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Amen!

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I just purchased a new 18 ' open tilt it works well, easy to load the car, the doors open over the top of the wheel wells. I have recessed D rings for the tie downs. The only thing I would do different is use E track for tie down points, much more flexibility.

I only use MAC tie downs, most straps sold are made in china and can fail. The MACs only cost a few dollars more and are rated at 4000 pounds. I secure all 4 wheels and one axle strap connected to my DeDion.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would not be kidding yourself. 4000lbs working strength with 10000 break is only 3g's on a 3000 car. A crash at 35mph deltaV is 20g's! Straps hold the car in place when everything goes right.

20. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

So do you strap your car for a 35 MPH crash?

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No I don't crash. Do the research yourself I'm not making this up. The large D rings welded to the floor of an open trailer with a steel floor is only like 5000lbs. Etrack is way less iirc. Just a bunch of screws holding thin metal perforated strip that the dohicky can lock into at multiple places. Convenience buys you weakness there. But it holds a car just fine.

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

You can buy cheap straps if you want, I never set my trailer up to protect my car in a cash, only to keep my car on the trailer. I post that I like good straps and I get a engineering lesson ???? Don't really see your point.

I own a fleet of semi trucks and large tractors , so I have a small idea what is going on.

23. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Who is the manufacturer of your tilt trailer- sounds nice.

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #74 fatbillybob, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    Then you should know better:

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towing-Auto-Hauling/Wheel-Nets-Auto-Car-Tie-Downs/Car-Carrier-Tire-Holder-Basket-Strap-w-Swivel-Hooks-Ratchet

These typical 3" wide straps have working load limit 3333lbs and breaking strength 10,000lbs rated. This is very standard regardless of the country of origin or cost which I am pretty sure is regulated under title 49 code of federal regulations 393.70.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=49&PART=393&SECTION=102&YEAR=1998&TYPE=PDF

http://www.mfrexpress.com/2x16-ratchet-e-track-straps-e-fitting-p-303.html?zenid=ec42cm1fld03k69bd0ui74lac4

This is the best an etrack will do WLL of 1000lbs and BS or 3000lbs. Some are only 800wwl and 2500 BS.

So you be the judge of what you want to hold your car down with. Etracks work and all the P-bug guys love them. I think they are fine on a open wheel or D sports type car not a street car. I think we can all see that with a 3000lb ferrari we get no margin there. Most guys don't realize that they could be wearing the car they are towing. Maybe you should think about setting up your trailer to protect you in a crash. Tire rack depending on design on the front of trailers add one more steel barrier your car needs to go through before you are wearing the car.

25. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Just an aside, if anyone is looking for an open steel or aluminum trailer, please feel free to PM me. 3 of us are getting out of the game,so for the right price, we can throw in (3) Z06s and a track prepared 308.