The Stig | FerrariChat

The Stig

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360stimo, Aug 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Seems Top Gear are fighting to keep the massive secret that Ben Collins is the Stig

The BBC is fighting to keep Top Gear's mystery driver The Stig from revealing his identity.
    The corporation has launched a legal bid to stop the faceless show favourite - who speeds around a race track with a blackened visor - writing his autobiography.
    BBC lawyers claim he is subject to a confidentiality agreement and unmasking himself would spoil viewers' enjoyment of the BBC Two programme, which is one of the channel's most popular.
    The Stig famously takes to the track in an assortment of cars, as well as training celebrities to set lap times in Top Gear's popular "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" segment.
    According to the BBC, his autobiography breaches "agreed contractual and confidentiality obligations" relating to the programme".
    Clad in race overalls and a helmet, the driver's identity has long been a closely-guarded show secret, spawning T-shirts emblazoned with slogans like "My Dad is The Stig".
    Only a handful of executives and Top Gear presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are said to know who he is.
    Several racing drivers have been linked to the role, including former Formula One world champions Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher.
    Clarkson and his fellow presenters have all enjoyed spin-off success from Top Gear, such as books and other TV work.
    The current Stig is the show's second. The original, Perry McCarthy, was dropped after his identity was discovered.

2. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #2 thepinkumbrella, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    Ah that numpty McCarthy....
    On his ****tish beahaviour in the C-Type Jag...by something of an authority Doug Nye...http://forums.autosport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t58420.html

Jun 24 2003, 18:49
    OK - here's what REALLY happened...make your own minds up on rights and wrongs.

I wrote the front page feature for 'The Daily Telegraph' motoring supplement, covering discovery of 40 prints of a discontinued Terence Cuneo painting, which Cuneo produced as a presentation piece for 'Lofty' England upon his retirement in 1974. COINCIDENTALLY the car featured in the painting - the 1953 LM winner - was 'doughnutted' by McCarthy for the BBC 'Top Gear' programme cameras, then burned off the line in standing starts with its rear tyres alight.

Owner Adrian Hamilton had delivered the car to Dunsfold aerodrome in Surrey - 'Top Gear's "secret test track" - and was asked if it was OK for their driver to drive the car hard. Since it has been raced quite often, and is race-prepared - and since Hamilton assumed they intended for McCarthy to put it through its paces against the clock on their standard loop circuit, to compare against modern-car times round same circuit, as seems to be a regular feature of the programme and which would (plainly) be quite interesting - he said "OK - within reason".

The car was then taken off to the circuit on the other side of the aerodrome away from Hamilton's vantage point.

He went home leaving a transport chap to return the car to his establishment in Up Nately, Hampshire.

The first he knew of the use to which the car was actually put was when his company's manager told him about it the morning after transmission, then showed him the video. Examination of the car showed it needed a new clutch, new rear tyres and fresh halfshafts, and a due date at Le Mans was mere days away. Daft of Hammy of course to let the nitwits at 'Top Gear' lay hands on his car - but he did it in response to a Jaguar PR request.

I don't watch ''Top Gear'. But that Sunday night I happened to be channel hopping and suddenly there was the old car spinning round and round in clouds of tyre smoke, then squealing off the line, tyres aflame, for the cameras.

Next day I mentioned it to the boys who run 'The Telegraph' supplement, they'd seen it too and were equally sickened at such uncomprehending misuse. As far as I was concerned the 11 year-olds of 'Top Gear' had missed the point.

Therefore I wrote the following, which was published as a sidebar to my main Cuneo story:

---------------------------

‘TOP GEAR’, LOW BEHAVIOUR
    How might you react if on prime-time television you saw the Mona Lisa awash with slops through being used as a tea-tray, or one of those epochal Harrison chronometers from Greenwich being tumbled down a staircase? Pretty much the same, one suspects, as real car lovers reacted when BBC TV’s ‘Top Gear’ saw fit on-screen (June 1) to abuse the 1953 Le Mans-winning ‘Lightweight’ C-Type Jaguar. One of the Beeb’s two professional test drivers whom ‘Top Gear’ disguise as ‘Stig’ (one being Perry McCarthy, useful journeyman racer/failed F1 aspirant/author of an entertainingly frank racer’s autobiography) took the car to the opposite side of Dunsfold aerodrome from its unsuspecting owner, then burned out its rear tyres, twisted its drive-shafts and destroyed its clutch in filmed sequences of over-revving ‘doughnut’ spins and getaways. Absolutely not the use for which the old lady had ever been designed, nor which any modern-day guardian of such an iconic museum piece would have expected…unless he was a regular viewer of ‘Top Gear’ and its customary standards.

Programme production groups and racing teams have much in common. Gelled together in common cause, despite inevitable internal frictions they instinctively unite against outside assault. If they’re together for a while they develop customs, practises and standards uniquely acceptable to themselves. And some unite in mutual, uncomprehending ignorance.

Old ‘053’ – the C-Type Jaguar in which Tony Rolt and Duncan Hamilton won Le Mans – has been owned and preserved for years by Duncan’s son Adrian, former merchant navy officer-turned purveyor of quality classic cars. His dad’s C-Type holds a special place in motor racing history, it is much sought-after for display and demonstration and it was created for a specific purpose – to win that race. The accomplished engineers who created it would be bouncing off the rev-limiter in their graves if they’d seen ‘The Beeb’ abusing the old lady so. Worse, there’s serious doubt the ‘Top Gear’ team have any appreciation such treatment was at best unacceptable, at worst despicable. That vital part of the chip seems not have been installed. ‘Top Gear’ or low behaviour? Philistines at the gate, indeed…"

-------------------

This piece - which I consider relatively mild - triggered a UK Media feeding frenzy, in which 'The TImes', 'The Mail' and others picked up the story and ran with it, rubbishing the show's personnel as a bunch of 'hooligans' and naturally (fittingly?) including prime presenter Jermy Clarkson in their opprobrium.

The programme producer had a real bleat at the 'D.Tel' editorial chaps, primarily - amazingly - because I had "exposed the identity of 'The Stig" and thereby spoiled it for all the kids who watch. Now I might look like Santa Claus but that doesn't necessarily mean I would split on the truth to every 6-year old...

Perry McCarthy then had the balls to telephone me and gave me a roasting for "blaming him" without considering he might have been "obeying orders" from the BBC director.

I reminded him of another bunch of blokes who tried to use "only obeying orders" as a defence - who found it did not wash.

I also said to him that of all the guys there, he - as a proper racer - should have had some inkling that this was inappropriate treatment - it wasn't a manufacturers' press road test car, it wasn't some hopped-up traffic lights racer, it wasn't a King's Road cruiser.

We agreed to disagree, but parted on pretty good terms....both big boys, and I really did sympathise with his disappointment at Le Mans, the best drive of his career, when he didn't even get a steer during the race after Frank Biela's screw-up ran their car dry out on circuit.

Next instalment - last Saturday (I am told - then found it on their present Online website - 'The Sun Online') 'The Sun' - a Murdoch tabloid in the UK - published a Clarkson column, part of which read as you can see on their website

<http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002240...3281776,00.html>

I suppose it's their copyright so I won't intrude on private grief by reproducing it here.

However - for those who care to read it - I would point out the following facts:

NOTE Clarkson's accuracy and truthfulness - "all he did was drive a racing car round our race track" - no he didn't, he pirouetted the old lady on the spot generating more smoke than The Battle of the River Plate.

NOTE: "Only one man objected" - not true, apparently there were many letters and phone calls in protest.

NOTE: He claims to know me - in fact we have never met, never spoken, never corresponded, never contacted one another via any medium. It's another complete untruth.

NOTE ALSO: Last paragraph...which I WILL reproduce here since I am its subject:

"Well, I know the man in question and I know where he lives. And if he’d like to see some real hooliganism he should try objecting again. "

This from a man employed by the British Broadcasting Corporation whose family motto is "Nation Shall Speak Peace Unto Nation"...???? I seldom have a sense of humour failure. This is one.

The courageous Clarkson here makes - in a British national newspaper - an open and explicit threat against yrs trly - which I and my family do not appreciate very much.

I am in touch with 'The Sun' concerning this matter and will happily confront Clarkson if and when we meet. Crusty historian I may be - essentially cheerful cuddly bear I may be - but sometimes events produce a situation up with which I will not put.

He's picked the wrong man this time...and I never even mentioned his name. Considering his apparent ego - perhaps that's the problem?

But it's only a minor media spat...no big deal...OK????

DCN

3. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #3 AlexO91, Aug 19, 2010
    Exactly, this will just happen again and again when the public find out who the Stig is.

4. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #4 thepinkumbrella, Aug 19, 2010
    There have been more than Collins and McCarthy...
    But in all honesty, who cares, the programme is $hite and I despise paying the license fee for this self indulgent sort of ****tish behaviour from Clarkson and little rat boy Hammond.

Paul

5. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thats a little strong. Name ONE programme (not including sport) thats better on the beeb than TG, and if you say EastEnders you're taking the piss. TG is comfortably the most popular show on the BBC.

6. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, strong or not Top Gear trashed his car with no respect at all. They take your car even if its a VW and wear out tires, axles and a clutch doing high school doughnuts Im sure you would not be happy either. Then the show apprently doesnt even tell him or reinbuse for damages as if its a privilage for them to tear up his car. Id be more than upset, no respect or even manners to be civil to a car that made your country famous. Shame on the show for not at least being somewhat sorry.

7. pride & performance

Feb 16, 2010
    lancashire
    Full Name:
    Nic Payne
    I AM THE STIG :D

i wish :lol:

i'm a big fan of TG but the last series was pants, and i don't know what there on about with the star in the car part being populer, it is the worst part and is really boring :(

8. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    It's no secret any longer, just read it onthe front page of the Sunday times. There is also a full page spread inside on the centre pages too.

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It hasn't been a secret for quite some time.

On the entry forms to the endurance race the Top Gear crew took part in (BMW Rep-mobile running on BioDiesel episode), Ben Collins was the only other driver apart from the main presenters on the Health/Safety/Liability forms for the race.

Many have also compared driving styles of Ben Collins and The Stig for ages. It's been a "closely guarded" secret, but it's not been a particularly well-kept one. :p

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    When the show returns for a new season this winter it's going to be interesting how they address his known identity.

11. No Need To Lift

Jul 26, 2010
    London, UK
    #11 No Need To Lift, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think White Stig will be killed off like Black Stig was. I wonder what colour we'll get next... Silver Stig? Red Stig? Yellow Stig?

You definitely think there's more than one used in the UK then? I know they've used "American Stig" and "African Stig", but thought there was just the one "Stig" (Prime).

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. No Need To Lift

Jul 26, 2010
    London, UK
    #13 No Need To Lift, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    Yep, definitely more than one Stig. Jon Oakley does about 20% of the TV work when Ben Collins can't make it. Jon does all the Top Gear Live stuff at the NEC and Earls Court though.

Don't ask how I know! ;)

Jon's website: www.oakleydesign.eu

14. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Interesting, I didn't know that. :)

You're not Mr. Oakley in the clever disguise of "No Need To Lift" are you? :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    It has been known in motorsport circles for several years that Ben Collins is The Stig - this latest episode is probably marks the end of his contract so a good spat will generate publicity for all parties.

16. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    I've heard of the Stig. The mystery is " Who the hell is Ben Collins" .

17. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Didn't a member from here lend his Daytona to TG for the car vs boat race?