Airbag System Failure | FerrariChat

Airbag System Failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Trey, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trey

Trey Rookie

Apr 4, 2009
    Blue Grass State
    Full Name:
    Trey
    I got an "Airbag System Failure - Go To Dealer" message this weekend. Dealer is picking up California for repair tomorrow. Has anyone gotten this message? I'll keep you posted.

2. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Rut roh! I got the same message starting this past Friday. Now it seems to be intermittent. For example, today, got the message and the "air bag" red idiot light was lit for 10 minutes, then went off. I spoke to my dealer on Friday - they said as long as it is a solid light, not to be super worried. I guess blinking is worse. Either way, I need to schedule an appt and take it in.

3. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    I had that problem. The airbag light would come on and stay on most of the time. But sometimes it would not come on at all or it would come on and then go off after a few minutes. I also noticed that if it did not come on at first, it would come on as soon as I opened the passenger door and sat in the passenger seat. I took my car to the dealer and they adjusted the airbag wire connector that is in the passenger door. That was about a week ago and it seems to be ok since then.

4. rich_daystrom

rich_daystrom Rookie

Mar 15, 2008
    When I first start the car, I get the "Airbag System Failure - go to dealer" and the solid red light. Both turn off after 10 min. Anytime after that, if the engine is shut and restarted, the lights go on for about 30 seconds.
    What have the dealers said about this issue, and is it worth a trip just for this problem?

5. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    I'm getting the same message with my car sporadically, perhaps 1 out of every 10 times I start it. Annoying...

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I would 100% absolutely, without question, get the cars to the dealers for evaluation and at a bare minimum, logged into their systems with this problem. Heaven forbid they fail to deploy in an accident, there will be a paper trail back to the dealers , FNA, and SpA.

Airbag systems are, in my opinion, not something to ever mess with. If they deploy in the absence of a crash, it can be extremely dangerous (happened to me in a Volvo V70). If they fail to deploy in the event of a crash, it can be even worse.

i suspect SpA, FNA, and your local dealer want the problem fixed too -- because they're not interested in the liability if something goes wrong because of a failure to investigate and/or remedy.

7. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

+1!!!

8. Trey

Trey Rookie

Apr 4, 2009
    Blue Grass State
    Full Name:
    Trey
    I'm getting my car back Tuesday. The dealer and FNA did take it quite seriously. As it is a new model, they wanted to make sure that they understood the problem completely.

9. rich_daystrom

rich_daystrom Rookie

Mar 15, 2008
    Trey, please post the results of your dealer's findings. Thanks!

10. Trey

Trey Rookie

Apr 4, 2009
    Blue Grass State
    Full Name:
    Trey
    The airbags were removed then reinstalled. All connections were checked. A new airbag control unit was installed. A new airbag control unit was installed and errors still occurred. The airbags were once again removed and all connection checked. The new airbag control unit was then installed in a know working California and found to be operational. After reinstalling new airbag in my California then the errors went away.

Everything seems to be okay now.

Service has been fantastic. I live 400 miles from Ferrari of Atlanta. They sent Exotic Auto Transport to pick up and return car.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm sure the service there is first rate but when it comes to Airbag problems, they are going to do anything to make sure the problem is fixed before you crash it. If they possibly don't deploy or deploy improperly, that would be lawsuit city.

When it comes to a safety issue, expect them to be johnny on the spot. Toyota, unfortunately for them, did not learn that lesson early enough.

12. F50CHAP

F50CHAP Karting

Nov 20, 2007
    uk
    Full Name:
    matt
    I am glad that I am not the only one to have experienced this problem. My car was taken to the dealership last Friday and was returned yesterday (Tuesday). The service manager explained that the fault lie with too much pressure in the sensor of the drivers door airbag.

What was more annoying was the fact that they obviously left the engine running for an extended period of time which meant that when the car was delivered home there was no petrol in the car - no bars illuminated on the fuel gauge - not even the red bar. The car had 70 miles left on the range. Sorry - moan over.

13. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Guys, They are working on it. It has to do with resistance in the wiring connections.

Most likely it is by the door to body connector as the wiring moves / flexes.

They are taking it seriously.

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    At 13,400 miles mine now has the airbag failure warning intermittently, more on then off. It appears to happen more when the passenger door is closed. In fact it sounds like something is rattling in the passenger door when it is closed. Since I have a Cars & Coffee Sunday I asked the dealer to pick it up Monday, which they agreed. My dealer is 2.5 hours away. I will let you all know what it was.

Rick

15. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

There is a service campaign guys.

It is to fix the wiring at both door connectors.

They install a plastic cone to the harness also.

16. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    That's right. I had the same problem. The repair called in the campaign was performed by the dealer and it's been fine ever since. Have the dealer check for the airbag campaign and perform the wiring harness fix if you see this issue.

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    They picked mine up Monday and I got it back today (Wednesday) ... now my withdrawal symptoms are subsiding slightly! Airbag wiring is fixed. Thank you MAG for the fast service!

18. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Hey everybody. My turn now. Wife just called and said the airbag light is on. Gonna check it out when I see the car.

So, is this simply an airbag wiring campaign that needs to be done? That is, it is just a small wiring problem, or does the entire airbag system need to be replaced?

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I think they placed a plastic cone on my wiring harness plus worked on a pin in one of the connectors. They had it only one day.

20. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Sounds like all California owns eventually get plagued by the airbag problem. I'm surprised it came so early. I don't even have 1000 miles on my car.