DISGUSTED IN SC WITH REGIONAL FCA DIRECTOR | Page 5 | FerrariChat

DISGUSTED IN SC WITH REGIONAL FCA DIRECTOR

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by chrmer3, Sep 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

SHOULD DAVID SCOTT PRESIDENT OF THE SC CHAPTER OF THE FCA BE FORCED OUT OF POSITION

1. NO

2. YES

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I don't think there's been "secrecy" (example, he shared things with Charles Perry when asked), but on the other hand I don't know that "publicly" is appropriate either if you mean here in FChat well beyond the actual membership of FCA South Carolina and even beyond FCA in general.

2. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    #102 cgperry, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    That was essentially my response to him - that regardless of the merit of any questions he has about David's leadership, that his first responsibility was to the members and that the members in SC wanted transparency both in the presentation of and resolution of whatever might be bothering the regional board. To do such things behind closed doors and without any justification to or involvement of our local membership severely erodes the credibility of the regional leadership. There is no reason for everything to be public, but the membership deserves to understand whatever due process is being followed.

3. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I'd like to jump in on this discussion, addressing in particular the issues from the memo that was deleted.

What problems do the RDs have to watch out for? Are they some sort of gestapo?
    Giving out membership lists? I assume that there is proof of this??????????????????????????????
    Involving non-members? So what? Did it ever occur that non-members are potential MEMBERS? They may actually develop an interest in Ferraris by participating.
    Getting trashed at events? When was this? I'd really like to know.
    Dave sets some new guidelines, they may just be better than the FCA guidelines so what's the problem?
    Putting a tight leash on Dave. That's a good one. Is he a dog?
    I would like to hear about all these rules Dave has broken, with proof, of course.
    For what it's worth, hearsay means absolutely nothing to me.

Regarding the so called "comments on Dave's role in SC". I would like to see the names of those criticizing him. I have participated in a number of FCA events since arriving in SC in April, 2008 and he was present at all of them, either as an organizer or high end participant. I have NEVER HEARD ONE NEGATIVE COMMENT about Dave's involvement. NOT ONE!

And who are these people who are "JUST SICK of hearing him brag"? I have never heard him brag nor have I heard anyone complain. Yes, he has certainly commented about some of the non-Ferrari activities and interests of the members - I applaud him for doing so. Yes, I own a Ferrari - big deal. It's just a car and one of my many hobbies. And yes, I have spent a great deal of time at FCA events chatting about things that had absolutely NOTHING to do with cars. Did I ever feel wrong in doing so? Not for a moment!

Then he's told that his only responsibility is gathering Challenge cars for the national meet. Gee, I bet that job really taxes his abilities!

For what it's worth, I was very active in the FCA for nearly twenty years. For many of those years, I ran track tech and safety as well as writing various articles in Prancing Horse and the monthly bulletin. I've seen what it takes to run an event. Those who do not "pitch in" but instead sit back and criticize other's efforts are a disgrace. It was people like Dave whose tireless efforts made the club the great organization that it is today.
    The recent event at Julie's place was one of the most enjoyable FCA event I've ever attended.

The absolute last thing this organization needs is a plethora of mud slinging, name calling and political chicken s***.

We have a great deal of wonderful activities in the Carolinas - well run, well attended and just plain fun. A vintage race/show at Darlington. A great track day and CMS. The show/party at the Colonial Cup. The Coach I Memorial Celebration. The weekend at the Grove Park Inn, with rally and driving school. Rallies/dinners/parties and other activities around The Highlands in NC.
    And how many people complained about the above mentioned activities???????????????????? As far as I know, NONE! Says something, doesn't it?

So, here's my question: Why should someone who does not live here, does not, as far as I know, attend any of our event or make any contribution, have the right to decide on our leadership?

Sorry for the rant but I'm just expressing my opinion.

Bob Z.

4. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I can understand if he felt that a public forum was not the appropriate place to air any personal grievances, but knowing the feelings of the SC members towards David, he owes it to us to at least let us know why David is being forced out. Afterall, he did find it okay to come on this thread and vote to remove David.

There's a difference between discretion and lack of a spine!

5. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    EXACTLY. MAn up and legitimize your stance.

"And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing"

6. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    It is not the policy of the SE Board of Directors to post in response to attacks on decisions, but due to the number of emails, phone calls and support that have come in, we offer the flowing information.
    Not only was the term of tenure overextended compared to how leadership rotations have been done in all of our other state chapters, but there is a long history of ignoring club rules, irresponsible financial commitments, and resistance to corrections. Opportunities were given many times to correct the behavior, but suggestions and the requirements were ignored.

A formal explanation of items and the background for the decision will be sent directly to each FCA SC member as this is not a venue for posting club business. Essentially, the FCA is a club with rules to follow and when someone repeatedly breaks the rules, there are consequences.

7. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    And where does member satisfaction and enthusiasm for their leadership, fall into your thinking. Or is members' happiness mentioned in the rulebooks?

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Let's wait for what is sent to the SC FCA members and see if that question is answered.

9. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I like seeing passion and fun! That being said, somewhere down line I guess a few "rules" are OK, too.

I suspect that we can find a healthy balance that can make all reasonable members happy.

Perhaps a little soul-searching first, so that what is really bothering the FCA leadership is outlined fairly for members to see, and then a little brain-storming so that rules are either changed or enforced ... to allow the most fun and passion in our organization as is possible.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

REALLY?

REALLY?

REALLY?

This kind of crap is a fertile breeding ground for F.O.C.

Nine months to go, and basically a critical state in the 2011 National Meet implodes? I'm not sure what percentage of national meet attendees are drawn from the region (versus outside the region), but I really think this is quite sad.

11. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Well, its kind of simple. If a couple people in particular find a new hobby or are removed, we're in great shape. After all we have a core of great people.

If things remain as they are with the RD and his announced removal of David, there's risk.

Everybody is fine and functional here with a minute but major exception.

12. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    everything will be fine
    dave is not going anywhere

13. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    I can tell you that if David is forced out, you might as well cancel the 2011 National Meet. It's going to cause such an uproar that most of the SC members will drop out and you're going to lose most of your members of the Board of Directors for the National Meet as well. It will then be up to Charles Claussen and the drunk guy from London to make the National Meet a success... Good luck with that!

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

Hank, in all seriousness, if that happens my 501(c)3 will sponsor one if I have to pay for it myself.

You and Mark in? Frak, if worse comes to worse we can make our own club.

15. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Wow.....

Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun down there in SC.

Ohio FCA follows Dave's marketing strategy....I "hung out" with the FCA and went to their events for two years, and officially joined this year as a paying member. They were a lot of fun, and made me feel like family at the events, but of course putting subtle pressure on me to join...and it worked!!!

Dave, whether or not you are president in the future, please add me to your email/invite list for your events. I have friends in the area and visit SC occasionally - it sounds like your events are a good reason to visit more often.

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    You are on the list! Come join us in Hilton Head Island Concours, or I Cavalli Da Corsa. Do a search on Fchat in this section of course to see the threads and pictures of these events.

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #117 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    I am posting this from another thread as this all ties in together.

I appreciate Mike's response, and he was very easy to work with and he is right about the FCA. You can see from the post and all the drama, for which I am embarrassed, but also thankful for in the way of support, that due to the FCA I have made many friends.

An email was sent out from Charles Claussen to our members yesterday, making it seem as though I was blatantly giving out our South Carolina membership list to any marketer, sponsor, and even could have been interpreted that I was selling this list to anyone who had an interest in obtaining it. The truth is that I provided the list of membership once, at our members request, at my first Christmas party at Ristorante Divino's to our members to foster and grow friendships. The RD only knew about this because I told him that I had done this, not knowing that this was apparently against FCA guidelines. Perhaps common sense could have prevailed? I considered it a directory. The list had names, address, and email so they could email each other. From the reaction, I think mainly from Charles, you would have thought I had killed someone. I never gave it out again.

The truth is there are no FCA Chapter President guidelines, Standard Operating Procedure, or By Laws for South Carolina, or for many of the Chapters. This is going to be rectified in the not too distant future. The regional by laws do not allow the RD to just summarily dismiss a Chapter Head. This is a personal dispute that came to a head once the RD was notified that I was filing a grievance against him with the FCA National Board.

As for continued violations, that are touted as egregiously crimes and misdemeanors, I can assure you this is total BS, and many people know it. By the way, there is only one person in this dispute who was recently reprimanded, and it was not me. I am not a naive kid who is just full of enthusiasm, although I would say that the enthusiasm is one of my best traits. Have I made mistakes? I am not perfect, and I suppose I have done some things that are not to the RD's liking. I will never forget the time when Charles was chapter head, he said "You've got to stop doing so many events in South Carolina, you are making me look bad". Charles has no sense of humor, he was not joking when he said this as some of you may be assuming.

What ever happens, stay the course, keep your memberships. The FCA does have good people at the top, who care about how we are treated on the local level. It is my opinion that what happens here, and at every state level, is paramount to the overall health of the FCA. If members are not happy, they don't renew, and new members don't join.

These issues will be resolved soon, in one way or another. In a few weeks, I along with two of our local SC members will be attending the FCA national meet to enjoy what the FCA is all about. This will be my sixth national event in a row, something that not even the past RD's can say they've done. My goal is to attend every meet, and to have as many people possible from the SC Chapter attend as well. These events are simply Mega, to borrow a word from Allan McNish. Brian Tracy says that Life is about creating as many positive experiences as possible, and I have tried to follow this simple philosophy with the FCA. Overall, the FCA has been very positive for me, and all the members in our Chapter, regardless of this dispute.

Let's put an end to this public display until this can be resolved by the people who matter, the FCA leadership. I believe the truth will prevail.

18. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    DAVID, VERY WELL SAID!!

19. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I vote for David Scott for RD!!!

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there is a rule against members seeing a directory of emails of other members? I swear our region has had directories with the email in it, of course against rules to solicit or contact commercially. what good is it if you can't communicate with each other? I don't think that is called a club.

21. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I know the Mid-Atlantic Region has an extraordinarily nice magazine-style directory. I mean really first class with thick paper, sponsor ads, event pictures, their event calendar, etc. It includes name of member and spouse, home address, home, office, and cell #s, and email.

I'm sure they offer members the chance to opt-out of it.

Not sure about other regions.

22. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    What other thread was this in?

23. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Wow, I sure would like most of my information out of it if it is public to the membership.

24. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
  25. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #125 chrmer3, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    After reading 7 pages of how the members feel about our president and the lame excuse for his removal from Charles, noone should have any doubts that this was/is a personal bias issue.

I believe this reaffirms to many that had reservations that immediate removal of the regional director (Charles claussen) should be forthcoming.

Besides questions of judgment, it's imperative the 2011 national meet be a phenomenal success. It's clear Charles needs to go and a leader in place.

Our region is special and has several of the most ambitious leaders representing it. David Scott, Marc McConnel ,Hank Carpenter just to name a few. These 3 people as well as others have the ambition,passion and love of Ferrari as well as it's members to make 2011 an overwhelming success. The sooner these people are left to focus on the success of this special event, the sooner we are to accomplishing that goal.

It is in the best interests of this region that Charles Claussen either resigns or is removed from RD as to not create anymore turmoil than what is currently occurring.