Shield placement | FerrariChat

Shield placement

Discussion in '348/355' started by Labman, Sep 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I broke down...decided I want shields on my 355. Going to get them from Yoshi. His placement instructions are a bit hard to undersand. Can anybody give me measurements as to where the correct location is? Don't want to screw it up.

2. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2 TheOnlyest, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here, I made this a couple years ago for someone else...
    The pic shows the resin shield, but I upgraded to Yoshields later, they are placed the same.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow!!! You're so quick! Thanks so much.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#4 Ricambi America, Sep 8, 2010
    Steve - I originally had mine in the same location, but after a while decided they were too far forward, and too low. I backed them up a "wee" bit, and think they seem to fit better. Its pretty subjective though.... I think once the shields are in the right ballpark, it doesn't make much difference.

(I think in this location the YoShield's fit the body contour slightly better too)

You can kinda see mine here:

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Mine is probably .75 down from the crease, and 3.0 back (roughly)

6. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #6 UConn Husky, Sep 8, 2010
  7. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Are the panels and creases the same between the 348 and 355? That might explain the delta in placement shown between TheOnlyest and UConn Husky.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Notice the indented relief area of the factory shields.....

9. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How did you remove the resin shields? They were on the car when I got it. I am afraid to pull mine off incorrectly and damage the paint.

--Mike

10. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I believe a heat-gun (aka hairdryer) and slow steady pressure are all you need. Do a search though, I know it's been well documented.

11. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Use Dental Floss or fishing line along with the heat gun.
    The other tip is just take your time
    Good Luck

12. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Will do. I have removed smaller badges on other cars with dental floss before. We'll see how it goes.

--Mike

13. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yep...my favorite factory 'option' :D

Just FYI, I measured to the tip / edge of the shield, not the body panel inset.

14. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 TheOnlyest, Sep 8, 2010
    Hmm, interesting... the measurements I show were measured from a '99 355 with factory shields. Perhaps the factory shields are a tad larger than the aftermarket ones??

I just picked at the corner until I could grab it and slowly pulled it off... And all the glue came off with em, so I stuck em on my toolbox. No heat or fishing line. But they were only on my car for like 4-5 months.

I can't explain... they are both absolutely identical.

Here's what mine actually look like today... the contour of the shield to the fender is perfect.

15. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I just measured mine and they are 2 inc. from the door gap ...

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #16 INTMD8, Sep 8, 2010
    Just measured mine to compare. The top measurement on both is 1.25. The rear measurement on mine is 3.64 on the passenger side and 3.56 on the drivers side.

17. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That's exactly how I got my resin (flexible vinyl) shields off. Just picked at the corner and slowly pull it off. No heat or fishing line needed. Any residual adhesive can be removed with 3M Adhesive Remover.
    Removal of METAL shields would require fishing line.

18. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I gave my passenger side a test pull. Seems like it will come off without a fight if I go slow. There is a lot of adhesive that will be left behind. I'll grab some 3M adhesive remover tonight. I measured the placement before I did this, they look ok, but are way off from where I think they should be. I have a set of Yoshi's on the way and I will try to fit them close to F355 spec's. Thanks for all the help.

--Mike

19. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Just got my Yoshi shields but they do not seem to fit the the contour of the fender (96 F355 Spider). I've tried moving them to various positions for a tight fitting to the fender without any luck. Do the shields have to be pressend on or bent to make them match the contour of the fender? Any help would be appreciated.

20. Nero308

Nero308 Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
    This is Yoshi and I have already replied back to both your email and PM today about the problem. As it may come to many of you as a surprise, the fenders of pre 355 models or 90's models seem to have slightly differfent curvatures even if you compare the right fender to the left fender. I guess that is what you get for Ferraris. Our sheilds can take some minor bending as long as you do not bend them using any sort of tools. Just use your hands and palms to carefully bend each shield to adjust its curvature. If you wish to use a table top, I suggest you use a wooden table and make sure to place a towel in betweem the table top and the shield and slowly apply a force with your hands and palms to bend to avoid any scratches. My 355 also have the unequaled curvature between the right and left fenders and I had to adjust each curvature to fit perfectly. I hope this helps! Yoshi

21. SA0915

SA0915 Rookie

Dec 6, 2009
    Do Not Bend the shields. Follow the dimensions provided as far as placement goes. You will never get a 100% flat fit, but you will get a 90% fit and then just press them on. Once pressed on evenly according to the measurements provided it works perfect. Trust me, I just put my Yoshi shields on Tuesday. I measured off of a OEM shield on a 1999 F355 spider. From the top point of the shield to the top lip of the crease in fender is "1 1/4" vertically. From the edge of the fender where the door meets the fender to the top tip of the shield is "5 3/8" horizontally. Then again from the edge of the fender where the door meets the fender to the bottom tip of the shield is "4 3/4" horizontally. Use masking tape to mark these points in order to place the shield properly. The shield is "4" in length from top to bottom so once you place your masking tape, you need to re-measure to make sure the tape is in the proper location. Finally, you should have a "4" space between your tape lines where your shield fits vertically. Have someone hold the shield in place before permanently applying and then look from a short distance to make sure the shield is not crooked (just for good measure). Once I got all my tape on the car I placed the shield on w/o removing adhesive tape and used masking tape to just hold in place temporarily so I could remove the smallest bits of masking tape by hand which would interfere with the shield placement. Once I got it perfect, I just pressed them on firmly. I hope this helps.

22. Nero308

Nero308 Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
    Hi Mr. Razov, did you have a chance to take pics of your 355 with our shields? I would love to see them. Yoshi

23. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you Yoshi for the prompt reply. I'll try it out this weekend and let everyone know how it went.
    thanks for your help. I just did not want to bend anything without knowing the proper procedure.

24. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Yoshi, I mounted the shilds prefectly with some gentle persuasion between my open hands to bend them to the shape of the fender. The important part is to mark the fender with blue masking tape and graph paper so you know exactly where to place the shield and also as a guide when bending the shield. Make an outline of the shield on the graph papaer so you know where to place the shield and use the outline to test for proper curvature as you are bending the shield. I used the dimentions from the above posting as a guide. The bending to fit was a slow process and I was able to get it pefect so that I could not even slide a piece of paper between the shield and the fender. Once I was able to get the shield to the same curvature of the fender, I cut out the outline with scisors. The cutout was slightly larger that the shield. I cleaned the fender with some alcohol to get rid of the wax and then attached the shield. Excellent results without the slightest scratcing of the shield or the fender. Perfict fit. Excellent results.

25. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #25 VTChris, Sep 19, 2010