Silver a bad color for a Testarossa | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Silver a bad color for a Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ItalianOne, Sep 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bjoern Schmidt

Bjoern Schmidt Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Stuttgart/Germany
    Full Name:
    Bjoern Schmidt
    #26 Bjoern Schmidt, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

I think silver is a perfect colour for the testarossa. It looks more sophisticated in silver than in red or black.

But I have to admit that I am often asked why I had chosen a silver Ferrari when a Ferrari has to be red. As an excuse I am then always arguing that I am red-green blind and until now I thought it was red....

Regards

Bjoern
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mrp_e likes this.
  2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    You are correct!
    The last woman that looked at my TR asked, "Where's the stereo". THREE times.
    (sigh)

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Bjoern....your TR is gorgeous! Silver is very challenging to get a "wet" look....a deep shine. But when a silver car is polished up and spotless...it looks awesome! I saw Don Johnson's silver TR go across the auction block some years ago, and under the intense lights it really looked incredible. I agree with many that colors OTHER THAN RED really do look great on Ferraris. I have a red car now and the reaction is intense....I'm emjoying it....but I've decided that my next Ferrari will be a different color....I want class instead of conspicuousness.

4. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    It looks great, and I think the design will age better over time in silver. The color leaves more emphasis on the shape, and it's such a timeless color. Can't loose with red, but if you're going to live with her find the best one you can in the color combo that makes you grin every time.

I was drooling over this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FANTASTIC-FERRARI-TESTAROSSA-ONLY-30K-MILES-/120622675952?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c15abf7f0#ht_3635wt_1167

If I had the choice, I love it with saddle/tan interior. Great combo.

Good luck.

5. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    But if it were my money, regardless of color, i'd try and grab a sweet deal on a 512 TR. Never seen one this low, and there's another one there in the 70s too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-512-TR-/220669575915?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3360ee82eb#ht_500wt_1182

Never mind what's going on with those seats and the go-kart steering wheel. If the car checks out, it's worth the stretch to low 60s to get a car that I've heard is literally light years improvement over the original TR.

bill

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #31 Spasso, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    That one has been popping up on ebay for the last two years. Take a close look at the engine pictures, on top of the right bank, puddles of brown goo.

7. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #32 AHudson, Sep 18, 2010
    Spasso's right. This car has been for sale since before I got mine. I'd say nearly 2 years of ebay listings. Though for looking at the car in silver, I still think it looks nice.

Behold said goo...

8. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Spasso you are correct that car has been on ebay forever. Something weird about that car? The one am looking at is a 86 high mirror car like the pics above. I like the early single mirror cars for some reason. I would also like to thank all the pm messages I have received with advice on the early TR.....................

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  10. Ermanno Claypool

Ermanno Claypool Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2006
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Ermanno
    Gianni Agnelli's personal TR (he had a custom built SPider TR too) was finished in Silver,and it had Red Cartier leather inside....

For me,it's a perfect combination for the Testa,i cannot find the specifi photos but it's gorgeous!

11. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve

I know of this car and its engine was rebuilt with high compression cams and has a history of blowing gaskets. It was raced by its previous owner

It does have some performance bits on it but I decided it wasnt right for me

do your due diligence please..

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    LOL!!!

Thanks Bjoern, that's a brilliant response. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    (Since this thread is already in "my personal taste is...." mode)

I like the 512TR in Grigio or black. The TR has such an extroverted shape that I believe a darker color balances it nicely.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=144473

There is a twin-turbo Koenig TR in deep blue without side strakes that looks really nice too.

14. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #39 kerrywittig, Sep 26, 2010
  15. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    As the owner of a silver 308, I love silver on my curvy car but it was never my favorite on a TR. If I had a TR, I'm afraid it would have to be white. ;)

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I agree about the red, even though I have one. It's boring in a sea of red at any event. My 308 was yellow and always drew attention.
    I love the Grigio on a TR. The perfect combination of subtlety and refinement while still showing the lines of the car. Blue Sera with Creme interior would be another choice of mine

17. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #42 aleventhal, Sep 27, 2010
    Like this (#65247)?

mrp_e likes this.
  18. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Beautiful...love the plate!!

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's a stunning car. :cool:

Many thanks,
    Andrew.

20. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    outstanding. beautiful TR.

b.

21. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Thanks! Interestingly, when I set out to buy a TR, I *only* wanted an early single mirror car, and I would not consider a red one. My first choice was yellow / tan (like the original Automobile magazine review) but I couldn't find one. Silver / tan was my second choice and I did fine one - lucky. Also looked at a blue / tan one, but it was not as nice, and more money - a bad combination.

My only issue with the TR is that it is not really a sports car. I find I drive it when I want cold / ac - when I want a visceral thrill I go with the Dino (#10704), etc.

Just my .02 - YMMV.

A

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  23. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Did someone say Silver TR???? I was love at first sight for me... but then again I have red interior. At every car meet, I attrack more pepole to mine than any other color. My pic are on my profile. As far resale red, well TR is a wide, low and fast so red might be little to much for TR. I love TRs in any color, look at my screen name. Oh one more thing, please join our group of TR owners, www.PreancingThunder.com

24. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    #50 speedy, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010