Maseratis in racing after 1967 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maseratis in racing after 1967

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Merak1974, Sep 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Gabriel,
    a street legal Grand Turismo "MC Stadale" will be introduced in the Paris car show this year!

Ciao!
    Walter

2. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    That makes very good sense indeed!

Cheers,
    Gabriel

3. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #28 Merak1974, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    Walter,
    I've just received the press material from Maserati; the new MC Stradale looks very purposeful!

Cheers,
    Gabriel

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What I was getting at was just becaue they cannot develope cars like the MC12 doesn't mean that what they learned from the MC12 experience is totally wasted.

Regarding the GT GT4. My god it's just such a huge car! It starts life as such a lovely and large luxury vehicle that a stripped down race car version seems absurd. Doesn't fit the original image. Whereas a 458 seems more reasonable.

Bob S. (On the road in Quebec driving something fast ...)

5. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Bob, I'm with you on that one!

Ciao,
    George

6. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #31 Merak1974, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    Seems the "old" Gran Sport based Trofeo won't lie down quite yet. Renan Guerra has won several rounds of the GT4 class in this year's Brazilian GT championship on a Trofeo, in a field that includes, among others, several F430s.

Guerra currently trails Valter Rossete (on a F430 Challenge) with a meagre 4 points with two rounds to go: www.itaipavagtbrasil.com.br/ (many nice race videos on that site btw...).

Where else are Maseratis currently racing?

Cheers,
    Gabriel

7. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Seems the MC12 will not be part of the FIA GT1 circus this year. Regulations require that each make enters two teams with two cars, and even if the Vitaphone team would enter a pair of MC12s no other team has been interested/able to follow suit. So, Maserati will not be able to defend the fantastic 2010 World Championship.

On the positive side, some Gran Turismo MCs are expected to be entered in the European GT4 Cup.

... and then there is the Trofeo series of course, but that is a one-make series....

Anyone knows more?

Cheers,
    Gabriel

8. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Rosette and Greco won their first race (Interlagos, San Paulo) on a Maserati Gran Turismo in the Brazilian GT4 Championship last weekend. They are currently second in the championship: http://www.itaipavagtbrasil.com.br/ (requires some knowledge of portuguese to fully appreciate the information...)

... and Bertolini and Biagi are throwing the Quattroporte around magnificiently in the International Superstars series! http://www.superstars.it/Superstars-Series/en-Homepage.aspx

Cheers,
    Gabriel

9. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Bertolini drove the Maserati Quattroporte to two victories at Vallelunga today, which means he has won the 2011 Superstars championship!!! http://www.superstars.it/Homepage.aspx

Gabriel

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #35 Nembo1777, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was at the Paul Ricard circuit Wednesday to test a car for an article and saw this pair: they had been bought from Michael Bartels's Vitaphone team about a week before and none other than Adrian Newey, Red Bull F1's star engineer was there driving one of them that morning before hopping on a plane or three to Suzuka for the Japanese GP: what a life!

The car in the background is the one which won the FIA GT championship a year ago.

MS
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Valter Rosette and Fábio Greco won the last race of this year on their Maserati Gran Turismo GT4, but only managed second overall in the GT4 class of the Championship, which was won by Caio Lara and Cristiano Federico on a Aston Martin Vantage: http://www.itaipavagtbrasil.com.br/

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I can only hope the Newey, who crashed almost al of his cars, dosn`t damage this jewel!

Now 2 of the 3 VITAPHONE cars were sold by Michael Bartels.

Ciao!
    Walter

13. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    The new Maserati GT3 won race 1 in yesterday's round of the Superstars GT Sprint series in Vallelunga, Italy. Short video here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_20MSBGR7Y&feature=share[/ame].

A Ferrari 458 came second...

Mean looking car :)

14. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Wow- even more so than the 250F?

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The 250F was a single seater! I meant "..most successful sports racing car..." But even against the 250F the MC12 was more successful and more competitive over a longer period.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    But Walter, it's no longer the same sort of company it was when they were building the 250F. Certainly not when DeTomaso turned it over to Fiat. Without Fiat and yes Ferrari this would not have been possible at all. The resources available to them for the MC12 were far greater that what they had back in the days of the 250F. It's mom & pop vs Goliath by comparison. I don't mean to detract anything at from the success of the MC12 either.

17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, Maserati from the 50s and Maserati in the 2000s are two different companies. But they still share the ame name, logo, location and heritage (although the current Maserati management has no clue about that!).
    If you argue like this then Ferrari with Enzo is a different company since owned 100% by FIAT.

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And so it is. Ditto for Lamborghini.

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    So then, which could be considered the last real Maserati?

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Up for debate as always but once the brothers were gone so were the real ones.

That doesn't mean some great cars weren't produced by the company after that.

21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The last "real" Maserati GT-car was the Mistral - all later cars were produced under different owners of the company.

22. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    You see, that presents us with a little problem: there haven't been Maserati's or any other Italian exotic then for a long time, save Pagani.
    I'd rather say a car company exists today when it has an un-interrupted history of producing cars. That still makes a Maserati a Maserati, but today's Bugatti a bit of a joke.

23. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    !!!

The Mistral is an Orsi-period Maserati (BTW: weren't both the Ghibli and Mexico introduced and production started before Citroen took over?). Hence, not a "real" Maserati if one decides to stick to what I think is a peculiar and overly narrow definition of Maserati-purism.

24. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Hm... nobody seems interested in that Gran Turismo GT3 winning against 458s etc...

25. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    To the contrary, I've been following the entire thread and all your posts about the races, I also receive some of them from the Maserati announcements via email.

Quite informative and very interesting. I'm hoping that Maserati leaves its own mark in racing, once again. Though times have changed and it is rather hard for a small company like Maserati to compete, but look at what Ducati has done in the bike world, a company that is so small it is not even funny, has taken over the world and won an amazing number of championships against conglomerates from Japan.